Preponderance of Darktards

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Preponderance of Darktards

Postby spiralcma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Virgin here - I swear I read an re-read the survival guide and I didn't read anything about needing to be lit up at night in order to avoid being hit. I SWEAR. I was a terrible student so maybe my reading comprehension needs some help. But I was a darktard until my neighbors were like, "WHERE are you going without any light on you? Get back here and take some glow sticks." They saved us and I honestly had no idea. I was fully prepared for everything else!
spiralcma

Postby TinkerMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:04 pm

tamarakay wrote: I explained that i didn't really care what he could see, that I was 50 and couldn't see for shit and had almost wiped out on my bike trying to avoid splattering him and that next time i'd just run his ass over

I don't try to avoid, I actually did run into a couple of darkwads. And you've seen my size!! I'm sure it hurt them alot more then it did me!!
My big bouncer arms took out 2 of them on Tues. I didn't even wait for them to get up and see if they were all right,
fuck that! I did toss a light stick at them, so maybe they got the hint.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

It's "mentioned" here http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/radical_self_reliance.html it's in the list of "What you must bring".
spiralcma wrote:Virgin here - I swear I read an re-read the survival guide and I didn't read anything about needing to be lit up at night in order to avoid being hit. I SWEAR. I was a terrible student so maybe my reading comprehension needs some help. But I was a darktard until my neighbors were like, "WHERE are you going without any light on you? Get back here and take some glow sticks." They saved us and I honestly had no idea. I was fully prepared for everything else!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby spiralcma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:18 pm

jkisha wrote:It's "mentioned" here http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/radical_self_reliance.html it's in the list of "What you must bring".
spiralcma wrote:Virgin here - I swear I read an re-read the survival guide and I didn't read anything about needing to be lit up at night in order to avoid being hit. I SWEAR. I was a terrible student so maybe my reading comprehension needs some help. But I was a darktard until my neighbors were like, "WHERE are you going without any light on you? Get back here and take some glow sticks." They saved us and I honestly had no idea. I was fully prepared for everything else!

Uggggg you're right. My reading comprehension is sh*t. I did bring a flashlight to "see" but not light to be be "seen." I suppose that's how I read that sentence. Damn blast it. Well, now I know.
spiralcma

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 am

TinkerMom wrote:
tamarakay wrote: I explained that i didn't really care what he could see, that I was 50 and couldn't see for shit and had almost wiped out on my bike trying to avoid splattering him and that next time i'd just run his ass over

I don't try to avoid, I actually did run into a couple of darkwads. And you've seen my size!! I'm sure it hurt them alot more then it did me!!
My big bouncer arms took out 2 of them on Tues. I didn't even wait for them to get up and see if they were all right,

Awesome work! I think I'll need to make a darktard-cow catcher for my bike to do that while ensuring that I don't get bruised.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby hookahdude » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 am

BBadger wrote:Awesome work! I think I'll need to make a darktard-cow catcher for my bike to do that while ensuring that I don't get bruised.

That is a great idea! I think I need to investigate this concept - Darktard Catcher... pvc version with lighting.. It is already forming in my brain...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby ibdave » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:04 pm

how about a" Darkwad catch and release pound/corral." Large group of over lite people gathering darkwads into the corral and shit them out the other end all
lite up.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:12 pm

BBadger wrote:
TinkerMom wrote:

Awesome work! I think I'll need to make a darktard-cow catcher for my bike to do that while ensuring that I don't get bruised.

I think we may be onto something here, the newest Playa Sport since Fizzball!
Only issue that could really arise is if you really hurt someone and had been drinking. It could possibly result in a DUI.

And to think, we were keeping track of rabbits/critters we ran over on the way in! (I only had one this year. But it looked too big to be a rabbit)
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby delle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Hmmmphhh.

I received my Survival Guides AFTER my return.

Thank's to you all, that wasn't an issue tho. There was nothing of consequence in there that I didn't already know. (so yes, I was generally pretty well lit... with lights, even sometimes, and not just alcohol)

Gotta ask when everyone else received theirs tho. I have soooooooooo many issues with my local post office, I'm starting to document them.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:27 pm

illy dilly wrote:I think we may be onto something here, the newest Playa Sport since Fizzball!
Only issue that could really arise is if you really hurt someone and had been drinking. It could possibly result in a DUI.

I wouldn't want to be drunk while enjoying plowing over darktards. It would dull the experience!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Btrja » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 pm

What if you made the catcher out of like foam pool noodles?
Btrja

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I felt somehow responsible as a burgin for all the darkwads out there...and completely amazed at the sheer VOLUME of them.

I doubt there were all burgins like I thought (hence my responsibility as part of the burgin demographic) but it really made me feel awful and tired of trying to squint my eyes so hard so I could see past my headlamp and dust so I would not run them over. :oops:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby robrob » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:45 pm

as for people not lighting up, i don't really care anymore. my bike is built like a tank, and i am not a small dude. i don't travel at dangerously high speeds, so odds are good i will crush you and keep rolling.

fucktards that leave unlit bikes lying on their sides in open playa at night though? grrr.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm

hookahdude wrote:
BBadger wrote:Awesome work! I think I'll need to make a darktard-cow catcher for my bike to do that while ensuring that I don't get bruised.

That is a great idea! I think I need to investigate this concept - Darktard Catcher... pvc version with lighting.. It is already forming in my brain...

How about darkwad team penning? Like we used to do with the cattle.......hhmmmmm.....lasso's away!!! And then lock them up sherrif style!!!
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:33 pm

robrob wrote:as for people not lighting up, i don't really care anymore. my bike is built like a tank, and i am not a small dude. i don't travel at dangerously high speeds, so odds are good i will crush you and keep rolling.

Lucky. My bike is just a bike and I'm a pretty tiny girl...so even at low speeds I would have ended up flying off over my handle bars
"OOOhhhh there she gooooeeessss" :roll:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 pm

delle wrote: Gotta ask when everyone else received theirs tho. I have soooooooooo many issues with my local post office, I'm starting to document them.

One of ours arrived about a week before we left, the other 2 were in the maibox when we got back.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby tahiti_treat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I saw quite a few people with those snap & shake disposable glow sticks on... I think they thought they were lit adequately but after a few hours those things start to fade, and especially if it's just one around your wrist it's not going to be seen. I honestly don't see why people buy those things - for the same price you can get some dollar store LEDs that last the whole week instead of creating a new piece of garbage every night!
tahiti_treat

Camp Name: NoTown

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:39 pm

delle wrote:Hmmmphhh.

I received my Survival Guides AFTER my return.

Thank's to you all, that wasn't an issue tho. There was nothing of consequence in there that I didn't already know. (so yes, I was generally pretty well lit... with lights, even sometimes, and not just alcohol)

Gotta ask when everyone else received theirs tho. I have soooooooooo many issues with my local post office, I'm starting to document them.

One of my campmates also did not receive his and his wife's guides until they were back home for their first burn. It is a country wide problem I suppose :?
lazerfox

Postby Presto » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 am

Back in, I dunno 2003 or so, I made nightlights my mission. I brought 3000 glowsticks and turned a clay trap thrower (like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C6M4TY/) into a glowstick cannon. It's a pretty easy mod - with a little added padding the glow bracelets hold tight until you fling!

Standing up on top of our MV and chucking hundreds of glowsticks at darktards each night, we got good enough by the end of the week that we could sometimes score a direct hit from about 40' away. Or rapid-fire a few sticks overhead and watch them scatter trying to catch them all. There was never any MOOP 'cause if one guy didn't notice the glow whizzing by his head, the next one along would pick it up. But it still seemed like a lot of trash in the end, so I didn't bring it back. Maybe it's time to stretch out the old arm and reload the cannon...
Presto

Postby hookahdude » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:20 am

TinkerMom wrote:
hookahdude wrote:

How about darkwad team penning? Like we used to do with the cattle.......hhmmmmm.....lasso's away!!! And then lock them up sherrif style!!!

Well, I am likely going to be pre-occupied creating my MOOP Nazi Brigade, however, if people would like to create similar themed camps concerning each of the principles, a village could pop-up out of nowhere and be VERY interactive... heh..

Mark, a make believe nemesis from another thread, commented that BRC is what we make it and that got the gears turning - we don't need more regulation - let's create citizen brigades to enforce the ones we have and create a WHOLE new level of interaction. :idea:

Just think of the possibilities! :twisted:
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 am

Just expand into "The Principal Nazi"!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:44 am

FIGJAM wrote:Just expand into "The Principal Nazi"!!! 8)

+100

he will need many minions
lazerfox

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:18 am

I don't think there will be any shortage of minions! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 am

I think the guides should say AMPLE lighting. One faded glowie bracelet does not cut it. People will think it does. I admit, it does feel good to walk around without lighting on. I understand "one with the nights sky"......Thats fine out at the Outer Ring......If I dont want to expose myself to more blinky and glowy, I wear a high powered hand held LED flashlight around my neck on a soft cozy lanyard and flip it around plus a finger light. Its not like people have to wear deocrative colored lights. Natural ones work wonders.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 pm

hookahdude wrote:Well, I am likely going to be pre-occupied creating my MOOP Nazi Brigade, however, if people would like to create similar themed camps concerning each of the principles, a village could pop-up out of nowhere and be VERY interactive... heh..

How about making up some other form of fictional paramilitary/fascist organization, rather than the Nazis. I really don't want to have to deal with people who think the Nazis are an aesthetic or an adjective to play around with, especially in BRC.

P.S. I'm vetoing MOOP Klux Klan in advance too.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

I had a Greeter once, dressed as a nazi, who asked me for my papers. :shock:

Miraculously, I did not bite his face off.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Taking visual aspects of Nazis could work as long as it was sort of the equivilent of a toy gun - clearly not trying to be the real thing.

Which gives me an idea... Full red army style uniforms but in blaze orange or hot pink!
waxpraxis

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm too Hispanic to get away with any European army...Guerrilla Warfare is the life for me!!!

lazerfox

Postby deutlich » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:
hookahdude wrote:Well, I am likely going to be pre-occupied creating my MOOP Nazi Brigade, however, if people would like to create similar themed camps concerning each of the principles, a village could pop-up out of nowhere and be VERY interactive... heh..

How about making up some other form of fictional paramilitary/fascist organization, rather than the Nazis. I really don't want to have to deal with people who think the Nazis are an aesthetic or an adjective to play around with, especially in BRC.

P.S. I'm vetoing MOOP Klux Klan in advance too.

I'm such a newb I didn't wanna say anything but thank you. For me it brings up mixed feelings as I'm half German (but also half black) and I get a lot of Nazi jokes (which I know no one was doing here but even just playing on the word hits a sore spot I never quite realize is there till it happens).

Savannah wrote:I had a Greeter once, dressed as a nazi, who asked me for my papers. :shock:

Miraculously, I did not bite his face off.

HOLY CRAP! :shock:

I...would've broken down in ridiculous tears. Not even joking. That would've completely crushed and depleted me.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby weirdscience » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote::idea: = A trebuchet throwing an armload of glowsticks into the desert night.

i love that idea but the moop THINK OF THE MOOP /cry .
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man