1st Burning Man trying to figure out how to play a live set.

1st Burning Man trying to figure out how to play a live set.

Postby DJ Toast » Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 pm

If anyone knows who to send a live set to I would really appreciate it. I have been searching for ever trying to find an email or someone to get a hold of.

I am a 19 year old 2010 graduate that loves all genres of music but specializes in producing and DJ'ing Dubstep/Drumstep and Drum & Bass. I love melody and I love Grimy Bass but my main goal is to get people dancing! I'm from Ashland, Oregon, USA and am trying to build a career. Any support would be much appreciated. :)

Here is a link to the most recent set I played live: http://soundcloud.com/djtoast/culturewo ... 11-revolve
Ananda Goldsmith
DJ Toast

Re: 1st Burning Man trying to figure out how to play a live

Postby Dr Helix » Sun May 15, 2011 9:44 pm

DJ Toast wrote:If anyone knows who to send a live set to I would really appreciate it. I have been searching for ever trying to find an email or someone to get a hold of.

I am a 19 year old 2010 graduate that loves all genres of music but specializes in producing and DJ'ing Dubstep/Drumstep and Drum & Bass. I love melody and I love Grimy Bass but my main goal is to get people dancing! I'm from Ashland, Oregon, USA and am trying to build a career. Any support would be much appreciated. :)

Here is a link to the most recent set I played live: http://soundcloud.com/djtoast/culturewo ... 11-revolve

Well what I can tell you is that this might not be the best place to look. This is a tough crowd for aspiring DJ's and you may not get much help. The best advice I could give you is to buy a ticket (if you haven't already), go to the festival and take it in. From there you might have a better feel for what it takes to spin at BM in the future. If your thought is that someone would want you to come and DJ for them, better get in line. DJ's are a dime a dozen out on the playa. Good luck.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby jkisha » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Yup, lots of DJs. Might have been better your first post being in the introduce yourself forum and a few more posts getting to know the group before just asking for something from people you don't even know.

Just saying...

Discussion Board etiquette, you know.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elliot » Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 am

Awww guys.... I wanted to reply similarly, but decided it would be better to let him sink to the bottom with zero replies like other DJs have done. Of course, that might have been too subtle.

So in plain English: See my signature line for a better definition of "live" music!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am

Ditto. Without a musician, you're not "live".
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 am

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting another crappy DJ at TTITD. Don't encourage them. In fact threat them like mimes. That seems to have the desired effect.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby DJ Toast » Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Sorry if I offended or annoyed anyone, I don't really know how to use these discussion boards. Well, thanks for the insight I suppose :) And I already got a ticket.

Thanks
Ananda Goldsmith
DJ Toast

Postby jerroc » Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm

get to know people befor you start asking to play on their equiptment at BM. Most Djs never stop to think that BM is a different venue then electronic music events. You see when I hire a dj he makes me money based on the people he atracts and that money goes to pay for the wear of my equiptment. At BM the wear on the equiptment is not paid for thru ticket sales its paid for by people who particapate and donate. So get involved make friends and you just might get your 1 hour of fame in the wee hours of the morning when the last thing we want to hear is fucking dubstep.
jerroc

Postby Savannah » Sat May 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi DJ Toast. I have to say, you take your lumps well. :)

Make sure you read this Survival Guide (it's 22 links, or if you download the pdf or text-only, it's 16 pages) about how to survive out there:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

(They will eventually mail you the newest version if you had your ticket sent to you in the mail from ticket headquarters.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby DJ Toast » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Just to let all you nay sayers know I played multiple sets on the Ohm Drone Dubscouts stage with SPL, Minnesota, Freak Nasty ect... But thanks for being so discouraging!!! :D
Ananda Goldsmith
DJ Toast

Postby hookahdude » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 am

I have to say it.... trying not to.. but the snark is oozing..

Oooo.. Dubstep - how unique and unexpected!!! Thank god there is another dubstep DJ who got to play on playa!

Ok.. I have it out of my system...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby DJ Toast » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Yea yea I know not everyone likes dubstep and drumstep but I'm a producer as well and being able to play a set of all originally produced music on a stage like that was a dream come true.
Ananda Goldsmith
DJ Toast

Postby hookahdude » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Producer as well? Then hats off to you! Just because I dislike the music doesn't mean that I dislike the people or the effort they make. I can't do it. I just don't like it. :P
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby DJ Toast » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 pm

I appreciate it! :D
Ananda Goldsmith
DJ Toast

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Congrats on the burn and the performance. I'm giving this thread a nudge over to the Art & Performance section of the site, since I think that's a better fit for the conversation.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2011 Art & Performance