What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Is it cool to sell schwag?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Yes
8%
No
65%
Depends on what the profits are for
27%

Total votes : 49

What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:59 am

Schwag being stickers, patches, necklaces, any and all souvenirs and ephemera you were gifted.
I happened upon this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/burningman-burn ... 43a99159e1

Yay? Nay? Why or why not?
Last edited by C.f.M. on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Re: What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:04 am

Well, that certainly doesn't fit my definition of schwag. Why anyone would bid on someone else's memories is beyond me.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 am

I clarified a bit what I meant by schwag. I word I don't like to start with...

I'm one of those people to whom such little things mean the world. I come home to an empty life (my one good friend now gone) in a burner-less, spirit-less college town, and having knick-knacks around cheer me up. So, if somebody else likes to collect stickers, or had to miss this year and just needs a connection to it...I am curious why people are bidding. There's a lot of bids.
C.f.M.

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 am

There is some schwag I really like...mostly pendants with the year/theme on them. I keep these and bring them back with me to wear on every burn. Don't care much for stickers as I don't know what to do with them. We tried sticking them on the outside of the yurt, but they quickly fall off and become MOOP. I guess the adhesive doesn't do well in the sun. I also like T Shirts with camp names on them and bring them back to wear every year too. And I like cloth patches that can be sewn on shirts.

We keep our own ticket stubs and all program book and survival guide for each year though.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Packoderm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 am

We had camp shirts with the camp name printed on them. The print shop charged $5.50 per shirt for the shirt and printing. I don't consider it selling if people chip in. There was no profit. There was no other place you could get these shirts. It would have felt nicer to have them included with camp dues, but our camp does not have dues. After the last person put in his/her $5.50, they were free at my expense after that.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am

Packoderm wrote:We had camp shirts with the camp name printed on them. The print shop charged $5.50 per shirt for the shirt and printing. I don't consider it selling if people chip in. There was no profit. There was no other place you could get these shirts. It would have felt nicer to have them included with camp dues, but our camp does not have dues. After the last person put in his/her $5.50, they were free at my expense after that.

This isn't about you selling your direct camp stuff, but people selling the shit they were gifted throughout the week. Someone taking your camp shirt, that you gave them, and listing it on Ebay.
C.f.M.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:44 am

I look at that and see a random collection of "meh". I'd be really angry if anyone was trying to sell one of Misa necklaces. There has long been a market for ephemera.
That being said, I think it's lame if someone actually think buying it means some sort of participation.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Packoderm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Packoderm wrote:We had camp shirts with the camp name printed on them. The print shop charged $5.50 per shirt for the shirt and printing. I don't consider it selling if people chip in. There was no profit. There was no other place you could get these shirts. It would have felt nicer to have them included with camp dues, but our camp does not have dues. After the last person put in his/her $5.50, they were free at my expense after that.

This isn't about you selling your direct camp stuff, but people selling the shit they were gifted throughout the week. Someone taking your camp shirt, that you gave them, and listing it on Ebay.

Oh, now that's a different story. I guess I could sell our surplus t-shirts, but I gave them away, and who would want them anyway?

By the way C.f.M., I chanced by Terminal City, and I was thinking of stopping by to say hello to you or leave a message saying hello, but I never got my nerve up. I thought it would be too awkward. So, this is my hello to you. Hello.
Packoderm

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:58 am

Packoderm wrote:By the way C.f.M., I chanced by Terminal City, and I was thinking of stopping by to say hello to you or leave a message saying hello, but I never got my nerve up. I thought it would be too awkward. So, this is my hello to you. Hello.

Oh dear god, are we that fucking scary?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 am

Hello back! Lazerfox could have dragged you along for a visit. :lol:

I would never ever sell Misa's necklace. That is one of the most beautiful gifts EVER, doubly sentimental since CZ is one of my favorite countries (I used to live near-by, and spent a semester abroad there).

But selling the WWW, the map, misc. stickers that were handed out by the 1000s...I started amassing a pile as I sorted out the suitcase last night. What do I need with a fistful of Disorient magnets somebody handed me? If somebody will buy them, I'm that much closer to making it in 2012. I'm curious to see the final bid on this one.
C.f.M.

Postby Packoderm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 am

What can I say, I'm a shy guy sometimes.
Packoderm

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I have the first seven editions of DPW t-shirts, and the only two editions of Greeters t-shirts. The extremely rare 1998 red-on-yellow DPW shirt sans logo must be worth something, most of those got used as oil rags. But really, I like patches a lot better.

It's just stuff, you can't buy memories.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:44 pm

I like your lizard, Bob.

A lot of the stuff that you get at the gate is just proto-moop anyway.
And I can certainly respect that having "too much stuff" is horrible and induces action to get rid of it.
I've seen stuff at a San Francisco thrift store and decided it cost too much.

So, my feelings are mixed. Except about Bob's lizard.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Shit, I forgot -- you can buy my schwag here:

http://www.cafepress.com/everythingbob
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

I agree with Jkisha, why anyone would do that is beyond my comprehension. It's the personal interaction and sentiment that gives it value to me.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 am

I am the kind who likes to keep such things as artifacts of the event. Still, if I lost them prior to getting home, I don't think I'd be inclined to want to buy a copy just to have them. Maybe there are some people who are though, so to each their own.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 am

I tended to re-gift extra schwag and kept what I totally dug.

Fishy, I adopted the landscape painting, beautiful colors, thanks!

I also adopted an original AntiM for my dear old (aging hippie-ish) mom and another for myself, both were small beautiful burny paintings, thanks M!!!!!! I also left one of my pieces and I think it was adopted, yay!! Next year I'll have more & better for adoption (I DO hope you continue the HWA Antim!!) I'll have a few more of my originals to donate by then, promise.

jkisha, you MUST wait and clean the dust off the hexi yurt surface 100% in defaultia, then the stickers will stick better...I think it's the dust that makes them fall off.

Packoderm, c.f.m. is a darling, pretty gal...with a genuine smile, and very well dressed...it was great to meet you, even if briefly...I wish I had spent more time in Terminal City, mention eplaya and the doors fly wiiiide open with warmth and trust and sometimes some secrets revealed...

Danuslight, If you read this.. thanks for the beautiful eye glass beaded holder AntiM gave from the box of jewelery you sent to the MnG for gifting...I'll PM soon :) I know everyone loved what you sent (I'm wearing mine now!!)

Sham, the necklace is a smash hit, everyone zeros in on it, I'll NEVER give it up. NEVER!

I'd love to see Misa's necklaces, anyone have a photo? I did get a big ol Misa Hug and Kiss in the brief time we had to meet at the MnG :mrgreen:

I shoulda visited BDCamp & Terminal City more often, but I'm a bit of a wildchild and wend my way into the bowels of the city, slums and all, what can I say? (lmfao!!)

c.f.m., IMO whatever helps you get to TTITD is fine with me, Vitalyte rocks, haha, 'cept just after ordering the Tangerine the website link through yer blog showed Watermelon, wtf? I woulda chosen watermelon!! (maybe they can offer that flavor in first choice next time also? lmfao)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 am

i got a lot of schwag to give to my friends who didnt go, some i will keep and one necklace i will keep forever because by coincedence it is my home town symbol and my catchphrase. im probably going to buy a really good chain for it. i found a 2009 ranger badge i will keep when mooping and the t shirts? well they are art so they become part of my personal collection. the rest is just visual cues for memories and i took a lot of pics so i dont need much to remember you guys, just a yearly trip to the desert and here.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby geospyder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:12 am

What to do with stickers...I write a daily log as to what I experienced at Burningman. This log spans the last couple years. At the end of each year I place all the stickers from that year in the book. Great memories.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 am

If we can sell MOOP like this, then the problem will solve itself.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:19 am

Hey, if anyone has an extra square patch from 2011 Rites of Passage, I would love to put it on my jacket. I have ones from all past years, but somehow one didn't materialize this year. I've got some cool dogtags...
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby delle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am

I can totally understand someone selling what could well otherwise amount to garbage to them. Its the buying part that has me confused in this example.

Fact is, if you can make a wee profit AND make someone's day by providing what would otherwise be tossed to the wind, I can't see any fault in that. Both win, nobody's hurt. It's just paperwork we ALL got.

Regarding the precious stuff tho.... the beautiful little reminders of someone's care and attention that were given with feeling.... that's a whole 'nother deal.

To sell those for one's own profit seems very wrong to me, if done without regard to the original giver.

Although to sell them to profit another playa project (for example) seems reverential. As in: "I believe this to be a piece of real value, and am willing to sell it to help ensure the birth of something else of real value"

I guess it's all in the presentation! (which seems to be my personal theme for the day, strangely enough!)
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Would I be allowed to provide tours of Terminal City for Schwag? :twisted:

I cannot part with any of my schwag yet. Even the free crap they provided at the gate. We kept one copy packed in the car to purposely have a clean copy we were to keep at home and one to use on the playa. But the dusty one is so dear to me know and the other kinda fake. But so many bids seems crazy and random to me as well.

Someone took my Artery 2011 necklace when I took it off so I could hoop at the White Party and I'm still upset about it. The only thing that makes me feel slightly better is thinking that another burner got it and it's not just lost in defaultia (like my glass ring from the Temple burn might be :cry: ).

Seconds on the picture of the Misa necklace! I got a big hug and delicious plum vodka(?)!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby This Woman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I think I know why people buy them, and it's strange, poser behavior. I know someone that bought and sold storage contents at auctions. I once asked why he was so pleased with a particular blind buy that turned out to have a lot of old high school trophies in it. He said he never had a problem getting rid of used trophies. There was always a market, presumably for people who wanted to build a history of excelling at sports.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm

This one is pretty funny - an "all access" pass to 2011 that is a complete fake. Probably violates all sorts of bmorg copyrights. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURNING-MAN-vip ... 336b48ee82
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby robrob » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey CFM- i'll take a disorient magnet off your hands if you have extra! i thought they absolutely brought it properly this year, and i've been pouring through their wiki stealing ideas....
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby DanusLight » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 pm

moonrise wrote:I tended to re-gift extra schwag and kept what I totally dug......

Danuslight, If you read this.. thanks for the beautiful eye glass beaded holder AntiM gave from the box of jewelery you sent to the MnG for gifting...I'll PM soon :) I know everyone loved what you sent (I'm wearing mine now!!) .....

Moonrise,
I'm glad you are enjoying it!! I will deliver pieces in person next year .. dammit :mrgreen:
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Bexx » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I love my stuffs. As soon as I get home I actually turn the sticker into a magnet with a sheet of magnet paper. That way I can have it always, instead of it being on something permanent. This year I gave my camp mates some camp specific patches that I made - and then ones that said SAFETY 3rd. and had a little man next to it. I can't understand people trying to sell this stuff... really.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm

A Safety 3rd patch! That sounds incredible. :)

Yeah, I don't understand people buying or selling swag either . . . I suppose they deserve each other?
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Shpilkus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I never sold any of my swag, but they were gifts and maybe I could someday sell them off to pay for a nursing home or something. (no, I'm not that old!) I would really have trouble parting with any of it now, but this is very different than having items manufactured just to sell with the the BM logo on it.
I tend to toss the plastic junk that has no real bearing on the event, but cherish the thoughtful gifts and the memories they hold.
Time will sort all of this out.
needles, sewing pins | shpilkes (shpil'∙kes) | שפּילקעס
Shpilkus

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy