WTF, Gerlach!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

WTF, Gerlach!

Postby kvd » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am

Did anyone else get screwed in Gerlach? Word is that the water sales that THEY advertised pre-event were inconsistent if not completely cancelled. Lots of people got screwed bigtime by this, and even worse, some of those people took it upon themselves to 'borrow' water from locals who weren't home. The folks who own the storage yard had this happen, though at least one of them left a note with a name an address to send a bill and an apology for taking the water when they weren't home.

The other thing was the fucking car wash! They closed it early Monday afternoon, apparently, and didn't even bother to take the signs down aloing the highway and in town, emploring burners to stop in for the car wash and bake sale. Not a screw job to most, unless you count getting conned into driving around the side streets looking for them. Big screw job for those of us who store campers and equipment in Empire, though, as leaving shit caked with playa dust basically destroys it.

I do everything possible to support the community there, where we burners create quite a ruckus even on our best behavior. It really sucked to have these things happen.
kvd

Re: WTF, Gerlach!

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 am

Waugh Gerlach interfered with my immediate experience waugh.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby boulderburner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 am

I was able to drive right up to the community center on Tuesday around noon and get my water jugs filled with no wait and no hassle. The people were extremely friendly and seemed happy to help. Of course that's a 'point in time' experience, but was the same experience I had filling water in Gerlach last year (also on Tuesday.)
boulderburner

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

\

Gerlach is the fucking desert.. Your on your own in the desert..
Be prepared for the desert..No one else is going to take care of you on the DESERT
unjonharley

Postby Minxy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 am

Drove right up on Saturday 8/27, filled up a buncha water, easy, fast, pleasant.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 am

GERLACH ROCKS!

someday i want to retire there.

seriously.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:GERLACH ROCKS!

someday i want to retire there.

seriously.

Want to go in on that property for sale on the edge of the playa?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 am

you saw that too, huh...

i'll put a call into the powers that be and see if they're interested in an investment property... :wink:
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 am

I'm going to go to Idaho and buy lottery tickets. I'd need a place in Kona too, after all, winters on the playa just suck.

Ah, thread drift. I suppose the locals, mot being professional water sellers, did the best they could do. Personally, they would not be my primary selection of water provision. Too risky.

High school kids run the car wash and bake sale. What do you expect?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby MrMullen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:19 am

Why would you wait to buy water in a Desert at the last possible place to get water? Get water in Reno or Fallon or Fernley since there are at least a dozen places to get water.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby wedeliver » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 am

Perhaps the op was looking for water that was properly radiated. know what I mean. Glow at night kinda stuff.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

MrMullen wrote:Why would you wait to buy water in a Desert at the last possible place to get water?

Because the community of Gerlach offered (and BM/JRS endorsed it) as a way to "save money in addition to helping our town".
We brought our own, and will continue to do so.
The car wash was advertised as being open on Monday. We left playa at 8am and found it closed at 3pm. No biggie, except the signs were still up and it caused us to leave the main road, make a couple of turns and then re enter the traffic stream, probably adding a few seconds wait time to the thousands of cars that were still waiting to leave Gate Road. I guess It's OK tho- inhospitable desert and all.....

From JRS 8/4:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GERLACH CAR WASH

Ranger Keeper writes to tell us:

"The annual Gerlach Car Wash will be happening again this year on Sunday and Monday of Exodus. All the proceeds go to the Gerlach Schools. This supports our athletic program throughout the year. All of the student athletes (along with parents and teachers) come out with the hopes of washing many a playa-dusty vehicle.

The Car Wash is located on the corner of Main Street in Gerlach. Thanks for supporting the local community!

~Ranger Keeper, Teacher, Gerlach Schools"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

PURCHASE WATER IN GERLACH

"Gerlach General Improvement District - 401 Cottonwood Drive - 775-557-2601
Open 9am-11am, but open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. The Gerlach GID (the local governing body of Gerlach, just a few miles from BRC) will be selling potable water to fill up RVs and water tanks of any size, with the funds going to support the town of Gerlach. Located in front of the town's Community Center, look out for directional signs just as you enter town on Main Street. Rates are 50 cents per gallon up to 100 gallons, 45 cents per gallon between 100 and 200 gallons, and 40 cents per gallon for above 200 gallons. Cash only, but ATM is onsite. Call the office or email gerlachgid@yahoo.com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups prior to August 26th.

This decision has been made in an attempt to keep our water rates reasonable for the citizens of Gerlach. We have a top notch water treatment plant here, but due to the small size of our town, our 150 residents must pay for the maintenance of an entire water system. We want to provide a town resource to the participants of Burning Man, and we think this will save you money in addition to helping our town. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, and by buying your water in Gerlach you will avoid paying fuel costs to transport your water from afar."
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 am

\\

There are a lot of evils on the road to Burning Man

Not all are boogy men in the dark.

Read the fucking guide and be aware if it gets done you will have done it..

I carry all the gas. water repair parts and two or three different insurance policy I will need to travel out into the open desert..

The people of Gerlach are good folks.. 50-60k influx is quite a hit.. Give 'em a break and take care of yourself..
unjonharley

Postby MrMullen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 pm

weather man wrote:Because the community of Gerlach offered (and BM/JRS endorsed it) as a way to "save money in addition to helping our town".
The car wash was advertised as being open on Monday. We left playa at 8am and found it closed at 3pm. No biggie, except the signs were still up and it caused us to leave the main road, make a couple of turns and then re enter the traffic stream, probably adding a few seconds wait time to the thousands of cars that were still waiting to leave Gate Road. I guess It's OK tho- inhospitable desert and all.....

Okay, your heart was in the right place, but you should think out such things next time. If this place was in Reno or Fallon, then it would be fine to wait until you got there, but water is so important to enjoying the event that waiting until the last place to buy it is a foolish thing to do.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby illy dilly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:49 pm

We got our water in Gerlach at the Community Center.... Well, actually about a 100 yards from the community Center.
Last year it was at the community Center, this year is was down the road just a bit. But there were still big red arrows that showed you were it was.

We got our water on Monday afternoon. No hassle no wait.

Also, if the OP had read the JRS close enough, there was contact info provided for the folks that runs the water sales. It also, says call or email with any questions. SO, DUH write down the phone number and if you get there and there is no one there, call the number.
Though, I also took it upon my self to email the water folks back in July and verify all the water sales details. At this time the gal who runs the show gave me her number and said if there were any problems to shoot her a call when we got there.
God forbid people take it into their own hands to prepare them selves for a trip to the desert.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

MrMullen wrote:
weather man wrote:Because the community of Gerlach offered (and BM/JRS endorsed it) as a way to "save money in addition to helping our town".

Okay, your heart was in the right place, but you should think out such things next time.

You musta been talking to the OP. We brought our own water.

Petrol was quite an experience.
When I came in Friday (pre-open) from Reno, Wadsworth was getting filled up by the tanker truck and was "closed" for sales during the refill, I blinked and missed Nixon, Empire was way crowded (into the road) and Bruno's was closed due to a power outage.
Two "radical" extra 5 gal cans got me home....
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby goathead » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm

kvd wrote:Did anyone else get screwed in Gerlach? Word is that the water sales that THEY advertised pre-event were inconsistent if not completely cancelled. Lots of people got screwed bigtime by this, and even worse, some of those people took it upon themselves to 'borrow' water from locals who weren't home. The folks who own the storage yard had this happen, though at least one of them left a note with a name an address to send a bill and an apology for taking the water when they weren't home.

The other thing was the fucking car wash! They closed it early Monday afternoon, apparently, and didn't even bother to take the signs down aloing the highway and in town, emploring burners to stop in for the car wash and bake sale. Not a screw job to most, unless you count getting conned into driving around the side streets looking for them. Big screw job for those of us who store campers and equipment in Empire, though, as leaving shit caked with playa dust basically destroys it.

I do everything possible to support the community there, where we burners create quite a ruckus even on our best behavior. It really sucked to have these things happen.

Fuck You

It is a town of about 150 people that puts up with your shit for a good month.
Most people in town get NO TIME OFF during that time.
We try to accommodate you, DPW, the fucking LEO's and every one else.
Last I heard at least two of the kids that worked the car wash are now sick, nothing serious, just too much fun, and sun.

Again

Fuck You
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Our camp wasn't bringing empty containers to fill, so we didn't get our water in Gerlach. In the past, I've camped with groups who did and we never had a problem (mind you, we arrived early and went back out to fill the containers during normal business hours).

The only people I've ever known to have complaints ended up having more to their stories when asking questions. Stuff like no, they didn't bring containers (they were expecting to buy cases of gallon jugs), or no, they didn't come by during normal business hours (they rode through town in the wee cracky hours and got all pissed off when businesses weren't open and ready to bend over backwards for them). The real shame is those folks were neither better prepared nor responsible adults. For fuck's sakes, if they're closed you go someplace else (Empire store isn't that far away, and was open 24/7), you don't invade and raid someone else's home.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Mr.Coffee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I hit Gerlach around noon on monday, there was NO line at the water depot, the lady even invited me to grab a spare hose so we could double up filling my 6x 7 gal containers. It took longer to buy a backup pair of shades from that hippie dude than it did to get water for the week.
Painless, and the tail end of the jug still tastes great all the way back in TN.

Speaks volumes as to the source considering it came out of a hydrant...
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby hookahdude » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:28 pm

goathead wrote:Fuck You

Last I heard at least two of the kids that worked the car wash are now sick, nothing serious, just too much fun, and sun.

Again

Fuck You

+100
+50 for extra credit
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby kvd » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

OK, first of all, I had my water. I've been doing this a lot longer than most of you, and know plenty about the DESERT as whatever doosh was so kind to font up. No fucking duh. This one isn't about me.

My water comments were more about the other people who tried to follow a different path, based on a desire to support Gerlach and based on THEIR OWN advertising of water for sale. It's pretty fucking simple. That said, lots of you got water. I heard reports that people didn't get water, and there was a bit of a clusterfuck with those people trying to find an alternative once they were already at the end of their trip. Yeah, stupid hippie on them and all that, but it sucks for all of us if said stupid hippies are raiding hoses and spigots in Gerlach, no?

Other good comments though - perhaps this stuff is more about said stupid hippies not telling the whole story. Though they did say they would be open 24 hours, and that doesn't seem to have happened. It really just means that folks who tried to do a nice thing, and leave more money in the local community who has to put up with our shit for two+ months, and got hosed (so to speak) will not be trying to do that. It sucks that Gerlach is the most impacted by our drug orgy in the desert and yet places like Reno or fucking Fernley get so much of the economic gain. It's a joy, for some folks, to throw some money at Gerlach, ESPECIALLY when it would go to schools or community rather than just further lining scummy old Bruno's pockets.

The car wash thing was still a PITA. Maybe the fact that they moved it well off of Main Street (though JRS said Main Street) messed things up - not visible from the highway, so fewer people stopped by. I could see them closing up shop if no one came by for hours at a time. Just means I need to drive back out there in a couple of weeks, when the activity dies down, pick up my gear and get it washed with the help of a local resident. That is, if the fucking 'mayor' doesn't show up, demanding fifty bucks for the privilege of a local doing what a local wants with a local's water. Seen that one before. I reckon I'll make arrangements to do it in Empire; they're quite a big more hungry than Gerlach at this point.

Oh, and fuck you too! Mwah.
kvd

Postby essjay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:26 pm

EPLAYA CLIFFNOTES:

August 2011: You are a fucking moron if you did not heed JRS' suggestion to buy tickets early.

September 2011: You are a fucking moron if you heeded JRS' suggestion to buy water in Gerlach.
essjay

Postby ibdave » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 pm

So kvd, lets get this right....
You had water because your a long time burner... Longer than most of us.. (13th yr for us) Then after the best time EVER( by most accounts) on the Playa, you come on here to BITCH about OTHERS PROBLEMS(water) that didn't effect you IN ANY WAY???? wow, what a fucking fucking douche bag you are....

My teenager said that the Glee fan site is looking for cry babies like you.......

REALLY?
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 pm

kvd wrote: It really just means that folks who tried to do a nice thing, and leave more money in the local community who has to put up with our shit for two+ months, and got hosed (so to speak) will not be trying to do that. It sucks that Gerlach is the most impacted by our drug orgy in the desert and yet places like Reno or fucking Fernley get so much of the economic gain. It's a joy, for some folks, to throw some money at Gerlach, ESPECIALLY when it would go to schools or community rather than just further lining scummy old Bruno's pockets.

:?:
WOW
I hope everyone remembers that this is kvd's view of Burning Man.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby delle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:10 pm

On a brighter note:

We fully intended on getting screwed in Gerlach (then go hoping to find Goathead yet again at one of the bars), but as soon as we sat on the bed at Bruno's we were both pretty much fast asleep.... only to awaken to a deep and disconcerting absence of oontz the next morning as the whole town was in a blackout.

Loved Gerlach.

Loved the feisty staff at Bruno's too. They were serving thru injuries (sprained foot and broken hand that I knew about) and thru the beginning of the blackout, with particularly peppered personalities that made No Bones about keeping it all under control. It was awesome to see.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Re: WTF, KVD??!!

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:22 pm

(1) How are the 2 kids doing? Hope they're all recovered. Sucks getting whacked doing something like that for the community.

(2) I've met Bruno (he reminds me of my neghbor in Italy!) , and have friends who live in Gerlach (LOVE Nevada Cowboy Country!!!), and also a few who live up in Vya and work the burn in town. I consider the "scummy" remark offensive and an insult. Obviously you claim to be burnier than thou may really be?? I know you don't know these people. Which means... you claim to be more than perhaps you are???

(3) Gerlach/Empire has an AMAZING good water system for a small desert town, and it never fails to amaze me how GOOD their water is! That they offered to open it up to sell water - that was HEROIC IMO.

And yeah, I was looking at that property too... maybe we should go in on a pardnership. Would be cool to run a dozen or 2 head of dairy cattle up there, become the worlds largest dairy for the worlds smallest city!

So to paraphrase...

hookahdude wrote:
goathead wrote:Fuck You

Again

Fuck You

+100
+50 for extra credit

Add another +100 for good measure. Make that 150 for your "by our drug orgy in the desert" comment. You ain't no burner. You're a poser, I don't care if this was your 26th burn out of 25. You ain't no burner. You're one of the ones our awesome adopted citizenry in G/E were talking about when they mentioned "This isn't like the burners before - the new ones are surly, demanding, and rude".

We that have been know. You can't hide the obvious. So go now. Decompress. Chill the fuck out. And maybe you can go to something like Death Valley or West Texas or Hell, Mexico, next year - maybe that way you won't have to be offended by the people who BUST THEIR FUCKING ASSES to work with us to pull this thing off in the desert.

I apologize for the strong language and attitude, but reading that drivel done went and pissed me off!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Boijoy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 pm

gots ta love ya some BBSue. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm

awww BBsue you are great no punches pulled with you.

I for one am so glad to have made it to the best burn so far and have no complaints none. not one. ok one 10 days wasnt enough and having to come back to england sucks. going to work tomorrow sucks. being so damn far from home sucks. as for being there? next time i'll be ready
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:38 pm

remember the phrase "RADICAL SELF RELIANCE", one of the BurningMan principles. Bring your own water, food, gas, etc. Gerlach is a great place, Bruno a nice gentleman who with his wife have a place at the counter at Bruno's for dinner, a couple times when we were there also.

Buying supplies in Gerlach is a 'let's top off' the gas and water. You don't show up with tanks and jugs on empty. It is a small town and people pour their hearts and resources into the event, and when they are gone, well you are out of luck.

would you try to cross the snow bound Rocky Mountains, expecting to buy tire chains when you hit snow....?
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Fufa » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

We bought all 96 gallons of our water in Gerlach, because even though we filled up to the brim at home, we needed to dump ALL of our water on the side of the highway in Montana. We were too overloaded to make it up the mountain roads. The service was great, they gave us the discounted rate even though we were 4 gallons short of 100 gallons, and were all incredibly nice.

I did see some stupid people assuming water was "free" because no one was "supervising" a holding tank... in a backyard surrounded by fence.... boy was that interesting when the home owner caught them.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks