STAY OFF THE FUCKING ART!

STAY OFF THE FUCKING ART!

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

word is that some dumb ass "burners" have already broken 2 pieces of art, nearly completely, because they thought it was ok to CLIMB on the fucking things, even when people were pleading with them not to. what the hell is wrong with people?! THIS is why Burning Man is suffering... disrespectful fucktards who don't give a shit..makes me sick
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Re: STAY OFF THE FUCKING ART!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

You're telling us? Most of are lucky if we can SEE it, much less climb on it. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby unjonharley » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:01 pm

After telling a bunch of fucks to stay put of our yard(s).. We remove the hinges and board the gate closed.. This morning one of the fuckwads climbs over the 6 foot board fence.. He had to go through two other peoples yards to jump into mine..
unjonharley

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 am

cattle prods... should be standard issue..
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby Eklypz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

What art was destroyed? How devastating :( I have worked temple guardian almost every year I have gone. I thought there were Art guardians that worked with Artery? Is there not, if not I would be happy to help create some for 2012! TOTALLY FUCKED UP! FUCKING HIPPIES~!
~o(Eklypz)o~
Eklypz

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Postby EastcoastEd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:50 pm

It doesn't take alot of sense to stay off the artists creations. Selfish fucks not knowing how to read the situation, probably bummed a ride, brought a tent and a gallon of water, stealing bikes when they want, mouching food and drink, and crashing where and when they want. Not so much a hippie, but more of a non participating, non sharing, freeloading, destructive, burden. Worse thing is they don't think/notice that they've done anything wrong.
EastcoastEd

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Instead of walking around saying "tut-tut" like someone's mother-in-law, take radical resposibility, put up signs or razor wire, or build it stoutly, baboon-proof your art.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sail Man » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 am

If only they didn't ban firearms then we could have armed guards watching over the pieces. I heard of 2 CORE projects that collapsed and had to be re-built.

Though I will say, that if your art projects looks climbable, then you should anticipate people climbing it and build accordingly. And if it doesn't, and some fucktard does climb it and ruins it, then they should be staked to the open playa with a sign next to them stating they are a new porto design. It'll be one way to stay hydrated while enjoying the clouds.

Oh look! that one looks like a kitty!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 am

Agree with Ugly Doug, for once. Some artists just don't know what Burning Man is all about.

BTW, the incoherent tsk-tsk ramblings on the org radio station probably didn't help.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 pm

There oughta be a law. Yeah, Burning Man needs more regulation! :D
Thanks I needed a laugh.
Ugly Dougly

Postby hookahdude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Ok.. At first I thought this was a joke.. Stay off the art..

What are you thinking!?!!?! You ass wipes!! That art isnt interactive - dont go near it!! Oh.. wait...

Hey you asshat!!! Don't climb on that enormous pice of art that looks like it was built to climb on!!! Crap.. wait...

While I do understand issue with people disregarding the wishes of an artist, I do wonder about who is it that is truly behind the power curve on this one...

Holy shit!!! You asshole!!! Don't burn that man!!!! Damn.. wait...

If it isn't supposed to be climbed on, I certainly hope signs were posted.. if not.. chill... if so - then a cattle prod would be appropriate. However, it is Burning Man and art is for the community - or am I missing something? Isn't the idea behind the concept of the burn the immediacy of the art? That once is is out of the artist's system that it is time to move onto the next project? I have a plan for a large piece next year... Once it is complete and installed on playa, it is dead. Used up. It will be burned or carted off...

Maybe I am just an asshat that doesn't understand... and for that I humbly apologize.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby langdon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 pm

hookahdude wrote:Ok.. At first I thought this was a joke.. Stay off the art..

What are you thinking!?!!?! You ass wipes!! That art isnt interactive - dont go near it!! Oh.. wait...

Hey you asshat!!! Don't climb on that enormous pice of art that looks like it was built to climb on!!! Crap.. wait...

While I do understand issue with people disregarding the wishes of an artist, I do wonder about who is it that is truly behind the power curve on this one...

If it isn't supposed to be climbed on, I certainly hope signs were posted.. if not.. chill... if so - then a cattle prod would be appropriate. However, it is Burning Man and art is for the community - or am I missing something? Isn't the idea behind the concept of the burn the immediacy of the art? That once is is out of the artist's system that it is time to move onto the next project? I have a plan for a large piece next year... Once it is complete and installed on playa, it is dead. Used up. It will be burned or carted off...

Maybe I am just an asshat that doesn't understand... and for that I humbly apologize.

Right on.
langdon

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Unfortunately, one of the elements that artists need to ruggedize their pieces for on the playa is humanity. It's easily as destructive as the alkali dust or high winds.

Back in 2007 my girlfriend and I spent the entire spring and summer working to mutate and transform our cargo van into a 30 foot inter-dimensional cruiser. We battled the costs, design challenges, terrible weather conditions, and some painful red tape issues at the DMV, and finally got The Great Abyss approved and onto the playa on Wednesday night. However, on Thursday morning some otherwise wonderful people decided that leaning and hanging on the fragile frameworkof the wings (made of EMT conduit and fittings covered with fabric) would be the best way to spend their morning. That put just enough of a bend in the wing that when Thursday's rager of a dust storm kicked up, the wing took on the properties of a sail and was wrenched 40 degrees in an unintended direction. Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe how it felt, we spent the rest of the week trying to make things right. Lesson learned.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FuckingEh » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 pm

trilobyte wrote:Unfortunately, one of the elements that artists need to ruggedize their pieces for on the playa is humanity. It's easily as destructive as the alkali dust or high winds.

Well said.. and ouch.
FuckingEh

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Darwin Fish Tank

Postby unjonharley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 pm

hookahdude wrote:Ok.. At first I thought this was a joke.. Stay off the art..

So, You think that buying a ticket to burning man and the art there is just going to be destroyed in the end.. Your ticket gives you the right to act out your subhuman asshole self to destroy art work at will? Before other have had a chance to view it? I think people have been been mating with monkeys more recent than we know.. Suggest you check your linage..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Then there is the fact that signs don't stop a lot of the asshats...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby langdon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:42 pm

unjonharley wrote:
hookahdude wrote:Ok.. At first . . .

So, You think that buying a ticket to burning man and the art there is just going to be destroyed in the end.. Your ticket gives you the right to act out your subhuman asshole self to destroy art work at will? Before other have had a chance to view it? I think people have been been mating with monkeys more recent than we know.. Suggest you check your linage..

We're not saying attendees have the right to be vandals but if something looks climbable people will climb it. Tragically this means the downfall of art pieces that can not withstand the stress. It is not the artist's fault that somebody broke their creation but taking the context of their installation into account may make for fewer failures. While we all want to go big, I would rather make a smaller piece I can afford to fortify than one that will be a pile of ruble by the wednesday flood.
langdon

Postby hookahdude » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:13 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Then there is the fact that signs don't stop a lot of the asshats...

Very true Fishy! Which is why I specified that if there were signs, then the people who climbed on shit were cattle prod worthy. Never intended to give the impression otherwise. If people insist on being morons, then we can only hope that they are weeded out - via survival or the fittest, etc.

unjonharley wrote:So, You think that buying a ticket to burning man and the art there is just going to be destroyed in the end.. Your ticket gives you the right to act out your subhuman asshole self to destroy art work at will? Before other have had a chance to view it? I think people have been been mating with monkeys more recent than we know.. Suggest you check your linage..

Wow. Nice vitriol.

Pretty sure I didn't say that I think it gives me free reign and I am also pretty sure I stated that if the art is identified with a sign that says "Don't Climb" that the people who do are cattle prod worthy. I am also pretty sure that I said nothing about feeling free to destroy artwork at will - neither before or after people have seen it. Feel free to insult my lineage (proper spelling) because if that is how you feel you must react to someone who presents an idea or concept different from what you think or believe, then there is nothing I can do or say to change that, nor would I be arrogant enough to attempt. Not sure if it is a chip on your shoulder or just a genreal character trait.

The point of my post, though it seems lost on you, is that "Stay off the fucking art" seems to be a fairly sweeping statement for an interactive art festival. If the comment was "Respect the fucking art" I would have been "Hell yeah! respect the art and artist you asshats!!" But it wasn't. For the dumbass who caused the "COG" to be cordoned off by falling from it, cattle prod. For anyone who damaged art - cattle prod. People who feel the need to be blatantly stupid should be held accountable - period.

I will leave you with my favorite quote from about any movie I have ever seen - "You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history."

Ook! Ook!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 am

Plenty of playa art is designed to be climbable. What are we, fucking mind readers?
Ugly Dougly

Postby A Jester » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Your bike: Don't want it borrowed? lock it up, or at least don't leave it alone in the deep playa.
Your camp: Don't want it walked through? Don't have paths through your camp.
Your Beer: Don't want to share it? Don't leave it sitting on a table unattended at the front end of your camp.
Your art: Don't want it climbed? Make it impossible to climb, have a crew guarding it, or don't bring it.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, but that's the way it is.

I climb all kinds of shit out there, and it's one of my favorite things about the event. This thread is oblivious enough that I half wonder if it's trollin'.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:17 pm

A Jester wrote:Your bike: Don't want it borrowed? lock it up, or at least don't leave it alone in the deep playa.
Your Beer: Don't want to share it? Don't leave it sitting on a table unattended at the front end of your camp.
Your art: Don't want it climbed? Make it impossible to climb, have a crew guarding it, or don't bring it.

I climb all kinds of shit out there, and it's one of my favorite things about the event. This thread is oblivious enough that I half wonder if it's trollin'.

So hope your not to surprised if I hot shot your smart ass.. And clam it's my way of enjoying "my" burn..
unjonharley

Postby Zhust » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm

As a creator of stuff, I'm always excited by the durability issue. I worked on my own project, The Bike With 2 Brains and tried to make it bulletproof, but after a week of abuse, it looked like this;

I thought that was pretty good. I anticipated it would get the crap beat out of it, but I was impressed that it fared as well as it did.

In 2006, I helped build Facing Our Fears by Sondra Carr:

It looked like it could be climbed and it was designed to be climbed. I designed the central platform. I'm no architect and I made some mistakes, so you could probably stack 4 cars on top of it before it would start to think about collapsing. My design goal was simply that the entire top platform could be packed with a crowd of people — most of the overengineering was that the concentrated pressure at the bottom of the posts would sink into the Playa.

So unlike an art gallery where everything is "do not touch", Burning Man is entirely the opposite. I understand how disheartened things can be when they go wrong, and how it can seem like a personal attack. I mean, my Bike With 2 Brains suffered a complete frame failure (it snapped in half in two places) when I was assembling it at Burning Man so I had to figure out a way to weld it. If that frame failure had happened out-of-sight at the hand of unknown strangers, I would probably blame them, but the result would have been the same.

In other words, making art for Burning Man is as much about durability as it is about appearance. I consider that just one of the design elements to consider.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:12 pm

unjonharley wrote:
A Jester wrote:Your bike: Don't want it borrowed? lock it up, or at least don't leave it alone in the deep playa.

So hope your not to surprised if I hot shot your smart ass.. And clam it's my way of enjoying "my" burn..

It's called radical "something" isn't it?
Ugly Dougly

Postby A Jester » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:35 pm

unjonharley wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what a hot shot is, why is would be *my* "not to surprised", or why you would bring a clam to the desert, so I don't have a lot of response to that. Though, if I have a sign that says, "please hot shot my smart ass" I'd pretty much expect you to do that, clam and all.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby peace » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 pm

If you can't be civilized in BRC, where can you be?

Used to be that folks did all kinds of nasty things to the "art" including incinerating it on Saturday night. Far as Im concerned -the last thing I want to see in the desert is a dusty museum with velvet ropes - a dusty hotty in velvet ropes however...
peace

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:26 am

You should always plan that people will try and climb your art, even if you don't want them to, especially if it is easy to climb like the female-shaped sculpture this year. The playa is no place for delicate structures and you should assume that people there have the responsibility judgment of a 4-year-old. Put steep edges on your stuff, or barbed wire if you must. If that's not possible, put a sign on it telling people not to climb if you're worried about liability.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:59 am

A gallon of axle grease will keep most art unclimable.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby A Jester » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:04 am

oneeyeddick wrote:A gallon of axle grease will keep most art unclimable.

I think that is my favorite plan yet. Now I want to build some art just so I can grease it up and watch people try to climb it!

Dang, that would have been perfect for rites of passage...
ZaphodBurner wrote:
A Jester

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 am

oneeyeddick wrote:A gallon of axle grease will keep most art unclimable.

I have suggested molasses along the top of street signs.. Once on you hand it's abitch to get rid of..
unjonharley

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:47 am

In 2010 the creators of Spire of Fire used an electric fence to keep people from climbing the structure. I observed another interesting approach to proctecting art in 2006. In Center Camp were two of Das Man's figures, Leaping Giants. When people started chaining their bicycles to the figures, contrary to the signs asking them not to, Das Man took security to another level. He brought out his wire feed and welded the bikes to the figures. Priceless!!!!
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance