Did anyone here visit Lightbox at the 9:00 Plaza?

Did anyone here visit Lightbox at the 9:00 Plaza?

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 pm

If so, we'd love your thoughts/tips/criticisms to make the camp better next year. This was our first year running a theme camp so we kinda had to learn as we went, but we're definitely going to be back next year and we'd love to know what worked, what didn't, and what we can change to improve.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Re: Did anyone here visit Lightbox at the 9:00 Plaza?

Postby shewee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I was seriously impressed! Granted, this was my first year, so I kind of didn't know what to expect in a lot of aspects, but your whole set-up really delighted me. Your camps was one of a few I had picked out and hoped to see prior to arriving! My boyfriend was mesmerized by how cool your dome stayed (he's got a big ol' boner for whatever covering it is you used), and the non-boozy drink saved my afternoon. I loved that each strip was two, so there's no need to fight over who got to keep it.

The only thing that I could imagine to suggest would be a prop box. Then again, Burning Man is kind of a prop box in itself, isn't it?

Thanks for the camp, I was really pleased :)
shewee

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:46 am

Awesome, glad you guys liked it! We love the dome too, this year was its 10th burn and it is pretty nice and cozy. The prop box is actually a really good idea, I think it would add a lot to the photos. Especially for those people that couldn't really figure out how to pose. We had planned on operating a costume closet for people to dress up, but we just never got that off the ground. Probably for the best though, since we would've had even longer lines for the booth.

It was awesome fun though, and I'm glad people enjoyed themselves. We can't wait till next year!
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am

Wow.. I may have visited.. I came through the 9 portal multiple times daily. Do you have any pics?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

junglesmacks wrote:Wow.. I may have visited.. I came through the 9 portal multiple times daily. Do you have any pics?

Here's the exterior during our happy hour:

We were between Barberella and the Snack Food Glory Hole, near the Post Office
Irreverent Moniker

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

Ahhh.. I knew I saw it. We were daily denizens of the Snack Food Glory hole and walked by it many times. Knew we should have stopped! It was the damn vienna sausages rolled in pop rocks..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby LauraPlanet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am

Happy hour at LightBox was rockin:

IMG_68164.JPG
IMG_68164.JPG (141.95 KiB) Viewed 2442 times

(Disclaimer: I may be a bit biased, being a member of the camp)
LauraPlanet

Postby rikslut » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 pm

junglesmacks wrote:It was the damn vienna sausages rolled in pop rocks..

Yeah, the pop rocks threw me off too. I think people were so disturbed by the mystery of some snacks that they just got on their bikes and got away from the 9:00 Plaza as fast as possible!

It's weird how one misses things out there. I got a sno-cone on Sunday afternoon as I was leaving the playa from a camp that was three blocks away - I passed it multiple times a day but had never actually noticed before.

[BTW: I first built our dome in 2001 and the platform in 2002, so it is playa-tested. Thanks for the nice words about it. The fabric is pieced-together strips of 8-foot wide heavy-duty tarps and Shade-Rite 80% knitted shade fabric. I probably would have gone with the more-expensive Aluminet if I'd known that I'd still be using it after all these years!]

Our official LightBox photobooth photos won't be up for a week or two. In the meantime, I have some of mine (including a few photobooth ones) up at my website here: http://www.rikkeller.com/Other/BurningMan/Burning-Man-2011/18891016_2V6sgD
And here: http://www.facebook.com/RikKellerPhotography

I'm adding to the collection all this week as time permits.

Cheers!
Rik from LightBox (former Pizza Slut)

Baristas from Scarbutts Coffee up 9:00:
rikslut

Postby LauraPlanet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

If you stopped by LightBox and took a turn in the Burning Booth, you can find copies of your photostrips here: http://www.burningbooth.com
LauraPlanet

Return to 2011 Theme Camps