The Pier

Re: The Pier

Postby ibdave » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0xtUfjv4zE&feature=related[/youtube]
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby andy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Congratulations on pulling this off. When I saw your original post in 2010 I thought that this was blue-sky dreaming because of its size but you made it happen - kudos!
andy

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 pm

The pier was beautifully done! What a wonderful thing. I visited in my lifeguard uniform, giving compliments and screwy instructions via megaphone. No one minded; I actually got some laughs, and people thought I was part of it. I really wish I could've stayed longer. If I see it again, I will!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I love the pier! Bravo! Huzzah and well done!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dingonv » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. Fbcota, new playa name 'janky' will love reading them when he gets back.
As one of the leads on this project, I invite you to view the few pictures I was able to take in between battery problems on my camera.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150236533071620.364133.749511619&l=d048b07152&type=1

If you took photos, or have a gallery, please post them here, or find the facebook group 'The Pier, burning man 2011' and post links there.

We really want to see how you enjoyed The Pier..

We'll let you know what's going on next year when we figure it out ourselves :)
dingonv

Postby langdon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Savannah wrote:The pier was beautifully done! What a wonderful thing. I visited in my lifeguard uniform, giving compliments and screwy instructions via megaphone. No one minded; I actually got some laughs, and people thought I was part of it. I really wish I could've stayed longer. If I see it again, I will!

Hell yeah Savannah i remember that day!
langdon

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:29 pm

A rare Langdon sighting!

Hi Langdon! :mrgreen:

(Did you visit the Pier too? It's an excellent excuse to wear hip waders before the cocktail hour.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:32 pm

I never walked the pier, but loved it as a concept and seeing the fruition... I also loved playing flsh on my bike and taunting the fishers... GREAT project!!!
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:36 pm

googbox2 wrote:It was great meeting some of you on the pier and putting a face to the username, but Eric, I'm bummed that when my megaphoning campmate called out to "eric in the polka dot pants" to come get a drinkfrom me you didn't... oh well!

Damn- I didn't hear it! If it was Thursday it might have been during my "bad day" period where I wasn't really socializing well. Shots later in the evening helped that... *cough*

The Pier was my favorite piece in years. Simply loved it, and had a lovely last evening on Monday early morning with my new playa friend snuggling & talking for hours with our feet dangling over the end. Job well done.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby langdon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Savannah wrote:A rare Langdon sighting!

Hi Langdon! :mrgreen:

(Did you visit the Pier too? It's an excellent excuse to wear hip waders before the cocktail hour.)

Yes I saw it the first night (Sunday) in my wanderings and throughout the burn (people were raver fishing as a man in a black morph suit and glow hands would jump out from under to catch things). It was truly an epic piece and thank you to the build team for bringing it out :)
langdon

Postby Recoil » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 am

indeed i enjoyed parking right next to it on my MV to pick people up and drop them off for rides so they dident have to climb up or down, really liked the portal sign on the top btw lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:39 am

This was one of my favorite art pieces on the playa. I visited it multiple times. It had a great atmosphere. Thanks!
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby Bexx » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the pier!!! I had fun circling it with just my shark fin lit on my back, while on my bike.. On Thursday!!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby thirt33n » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:40 pm

it was awesome. i stopped by your camp to thank you in person but you were asleep. deserved. you rock!
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 am

Fantastic reality to a wonderful dream. Hands-down my favorite installation. So many opportunities for free play and exercise of the imagination. And an absolutely stellar landmark for wandering back to my camp, day or night...

8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ehcsztein » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 am

Just got off playa last night and to read your responses to this installation makes the whole endeavor more than worth it.

My heart had to break many times in order to grow as much as it did while experiencing the completed project.

Too much to share... too many stories... for now let me just say... Thank you all for helping the magic of The Pier com to life!!!

~Kevan
ehcsztein

Postby googbox2 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:01 pm

High five Kevan!

So true about heart breaking a lot to grow... wow.

-Michelle
googbox2

Postby snake » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm

so plans for a pier II in 2012?
snake

Postby dingonv » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:14 pm

snake wrote:so plans for a pier II in 2012?

Wait for janky (fbcota) to respond on that one... ;)
dingonv

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 pm

TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby CalebCamera » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 pm

SHITBALLZ!!
Will this thread ever end?
More boat MV's next year
CalebCamera

Postby MisterSaunders » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:20 am

Lots of night time & higher quality HD footage to follow.....

MisterSaunders

Postby peace » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Launched one of my more memorable journeys from the Pier Wednesday (?) night. Perfect - thanks!
peace

Postby mars » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

I LOVED the pier!!!!!!!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby moonrise » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 pm

The Pier......... SMASH HIT RUNAWAY SUCCESS!!!......... BRAVO!!

A few stories of my interaction at The Pier were:

1st time I visited the pier was at dawn, I didn't see anyone there and thought I was alone as I walked up to something shiny, (haha) it was an interesting looking modern LED half-tamborine...hmmm I thought as I toyed with it, who left this here???? Then whamo!! I got caught!! an older well dressed 'hippie mom' type caught me!! We both had a BIG HUUUGE tearful laugh, and I could tell it brightened her day, haha!

By midweek I was in full swing, wearing a skirt and T shirt and properly dusted....

Visited fandango bar, met pajamapants, I was losing my voice and he suggested LOTS of citrus (thanks for the lemon water PJpants!!) within a few minutes on my way out onto the playa I swung by the Pier....and what do I see but a bag of orange slices!! yep, playa magic and I got caught again! Yum citrus! sureal....how did this happen? citrus within minutes? huh? WoW!!!

My Last visit to The Pier (Sunday I think), I swung by with a friend and wow, the bait was hanging from everywhere!!! PBR's, toys, shiny things, junky things and beautiful necklaces, bracelets etc...after my drunken freind got his fill of PBR's, silly shiny stuff and what not, the necklaces and bracelets were dangled all around us, tempting, taunting.... how could we resist? We couldn't and gave in to chewing through popped ballon rigged rubber strings and caught some fine rewards, beautiful handmade burning man medallions and braclets, huge cheers and an all around roaring, rolling in the dirt good time, wow! Wow! WOW!! What a fun time and I ain't a hippie (am I? LOL)

Thank You fbcota (Janky) and the pier build team!! Pure genius and endless interacitvity....what will you do to TOP THIS ONE??
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 pm

I love the pier watching some people use bacon for fishing bait was one of the most amusing times of my week. I wish I'd been down there to eat some!
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 am

this was the stroke of genius i wanted for my first burn, i was sitting on the pier whena bit of rope hit me on the nose and it was like pure nostaligia being injected in a vein. hope to see the pier agian next year bigger and just as wonderful
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:51 am

So pier crew.. do tell! What became of the pier after the burn? Did you donate all the wood? Burn it? Will there be a pier 2012?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby googbox2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am

Mister Saunders- did you take that video?? I'm in it- at the bait shop in the purple bra and braids... that's my laugh. So cool! Thank you!!
googbox2

Postby arcane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 pm

The pier *was* awesome. I was bartending at Fandango and watched people enjoy it all day/night long. Myself and some friends from Fandango filled up the end of it the night the man burned and I have to say it was amazing to watch from there, just perfect. Thanks guys. It was great.

BTW. My wife and I brought that couch that found it's way out there home and tossed it.
arcane

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance