rv free zone.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: rv free zone.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:35 pm

AntiM wrote:Hushville, Hushville, Hushville. Or Hushville's new idea of a Green Zone, which would place camps/villages which do not use internal combustion near each other.

Or form a new village.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby nncoco » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:54 pm

All I can say is that I am stoked on the new technology that Yamaha and Honda are using in their generators now. They are quiet and efficient. My Onan was in a box and still twice a loud as one of these. I finally offered my neighbor fuel and used his for the rest of the week to run my PA system.

As the old Onan's and the like get retired and replaced, rants like this will be a thing of the past.
nncoco

Postby Corwin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:I myself prefer the happy medium between the extremes. I don't "rough it" merely with a dome tent, and I don't indulge in the opulent luxury of a fully-decked out RV.

I do camp in a tent, but I bring along my manservant, Higgenbotham, to attend to the dust and heat issues I encounter. At times he does seem to suffer badly, but it's an employers' market this decade.

Does Higgenbotham purchase his own ticket or does he force you to buy his? I hope you take it out of his health insurance.
Corwin

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:16 am

I was relatively close to the camp generator this year, but honestly couldn't tell the sound difference between it and the various crap music emanating from various directions from the city, at least at night.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby hookahdude » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:29 am

I am not a bog fan of RVs, however, I will be getting one to 'personalize' for Burns. If it were just me, I could easily rough it in a good pack tent, a shade, a sleeping bag, and a theme camp to support and crash in. It is not just me though. My wife is a magical, artful, wild, and wonderful woman who is dying to go to Burning Man. She also has a couple of medical issues that could seriously put a chill on her overall enjoyment of the event. If she needs a place that has some form of atmospheric control, then I am going to give it to her. That being said - I would definitely try to park in an area that seemed to have a lot RVs around as to not impose my conditional arrangements on other people. :lol:
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:43 pm

BBadger wrote:I was relatively close to the camp generator this year, but honestly couldn't tell the sound difference between it and the various crap music emanating from various directions from the city, at least at night.

We had a little Whisper near us, ten feet or so?? Nick put a board in front of it and we didn't noticed it at all.

I slept like a baby this year, without earplugs. I swear, Booby Bar was quieter than Hushville. Or I'm too jaded to stay awake.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 pm

AntiM wrote:We had a little Whisper near us, ten feet or so?? Nick put a board in front of it and we didn't noticed it at all.

I slept like a baby this year, without earplugs. I swear, Booby Bar was quieter than Hushville. Or I'm too jaded to stay awake.

Hmm, maybe this said more about just how quiet the generator actually was (Honda EU3000), rather than how noisy the music was.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby dandelion » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Our camp was all tents surrounded by neighboring RV's. I didn't mind them at all. They were great wind breakers! Plus, I'm really considering renting a camper or an RV for next year. Being an over prepared virgin this year compelled me to believe that I deserve the comfort of a foam bed rather than sleeping in a tent two feet away from the street. There's nothing wrong with having an RV at BM. Just be considerate of your neighbors and it's all good!
dandelion

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Try to find my RV. Hint: It's not that camper/truck to the left.

I never did anything with it that wasn't done with the tents around me.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Packoderm wrote:Try to find my RV. Hint: It's not that camper/truck to the left.

My god... you buried it beneath the surface of the playa, and that "trash can" is actually a tunnel through the roof!!
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:
Packoderm wrote:Try to find my RV. Hint: It's not that camper/truck to the left.

My god... you buried it beneath the surface of the playa, and that "trash can" is actually a tunnel through the roof!!

LOL
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:

This gives new meaning to "land submarines."

BBadger

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:26 am

I know where it is, but I ain't tellin!

Really nice job!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 am

Although we have lots of experience camping in both tents and RV's, we rented an RV because my wife was much more comfortable with the idea of going in an RV over tenting. We have decided it was a total waste for us and will be tenting next year.

We ran the generator for a total of 3 hours all week - basically just to recharge the batteries or use the microwave. By the second day the solar charger seemed to be unable to keep up and was probably covered in dust. I will miss the convenience of a microwave when we are tenting though.

Daytime sleeping was perfectly comfy in the monkey hut.

Having an onboard restroom was really convenient on that 5+ hour entrance line, but pee jugs and jots will have to suffice on future burns.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy