night time mv?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

night time mv?

Postby Recoil » Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm

So i sent my MV app in and got approved but at the time when i sent the app i only had plans for a day time Mv but things have changed and some friends have donated a geney so i will be able to go the full night time lighting plans that i was thinking of doing

my question is since i was approved for day time and will be there all ready will i be able to ask for a night sticker while im there or do i need to reapp for a night time licence before hand? if so how will one go about this lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby TomServo » Sun May 29, 2011 8:13 am

Just go to the DMV in the evening to get a night permit. Doesn't matter what the original proposal was, but if the Hottie inspecting your MV thinks its passable. If you're pulling a trailer, make sure the hitch is well lit!

Even if they deny you a day pass, you may still qualify for a night pass.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Dork » Sun May 29, 2011 8:21 am

Agreed - no need to reapply. Just light the living crap out of it and drive up to the DMV after the sun goes down to get your sticker.
Dork

Postby EspressoDude » Sun May 29, 2011 8:59 am

Dork wrote:Agreed - no need to reapply. Just light the living crap out of it and drive up to the DMV after the sun goes down to get your sticker.

Brilliant!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Recoil » Sun May 29, 2011 4:21 pm

figured as much but wanted to be sure

thanks for the info folks!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Re: night time mv?

Postby Recoil » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:04 am

for those that care this is my MV this year at night hehe

Recoil

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 am

Super cool. I'm curious about how you built it...and how you hauled it out there? And of course anything you would care to share about the lighting...which looks really good btw!

Our family is already planning for an art car in 2012...not sure if we'll base it off a golf cart or go bigger but we're looking at every thread about art cars to get ideas.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 am

Playa chicken?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Recoil » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Super cool. I'm curious about how you built it...and how you hauled it out there? And of course anything you would care to share about the lighting...which looks really good btw!

Our family is already planning for an art car in 2012...not sure if we'll base it off a golf cart or go bigger but we're looking at every thread about art cars to get ideas.

the base is a G2 yamaha gas golf cart, i built the platform up off the main strong points of the fram and raised up the controls so i can drive from up top and then used 1/2 inch conduit in most places to build a subframe for the chicken body and coragated roofing matrial for feathers all cut by hand one by one with heavy duty scyssers heh

i havent uploaded the most resent pics yet as i was really busy right before we left but ill upload them soon but this is the photo stream that ive been using to track my progress http://www.flickr.com/photos/59608534@N04/

i modified a car hauler to haul it up there behind my SUV and it worked great

the lighting is 10 strings of red green blue yellow 100 LED's a peice and 2 70 strings of purple that line the wings so 1140 LED's just in the body and about 60 feet of rope light for the tail and cone plus two sets of fog lights one for the eyes and one for driving that are all on there own power sorce from a 2k watt geny

i have a friend who runs a larger MV that holds 30ish people and is 14 or so feet wide and after driving my small MV around i dont know how he dose it, trying to get down the city streets even with my little chicken was a pain at times with all the people trying to get around. At night it was worse because of all the damn darkwades. I had some camp mates who were coming up later in the week bring me the extra set of head lamps to add on because i just dident have enough front light to travel, not that i couldent do it i just really wanted to be sure i could see people who were walking in front of me with zero light on and i dident take into account just how many there was but put them on a switch so you can turn them off as to not mess up the art installations ''look'' when you roll up to them

using a golf cart base has some issues that ive found out this year (ill get into what those are soon but im currently tracking down what exactly the problem was for my project lol) but as do all mv's from what ive come to find out but the reward of having people smile when you roll down the street is so frekin awesome its worth it, just for the love of god no matter what you use as a base do it up right so you can not tell what the base is. Hide the base as best you can and people will thank you for building something that dosent look like another damn golf cart with furr on it lol
Recoil

Postby elbela » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Great art car! I'd love to hear what issues you had with using a golf cart as a base.
elbela

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Amazing art car!
We saw you rolling around more than once out there!

Keep the info coming!
All the problems you had and work arounds?
Any tricks you found?
And anything you would do different!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Yes please keep the info coming, as I am in the (what I thought was the final) planning stages of my MV and am rethinking using a pick up truck chasis, and scaling down to something like a "Mule" side by side ATV, etc.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby sawdustbear » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I'd definitely love to know more about golf cart MV-ing too!

Bounce - We built our car on a flatbed pickup(originally a 88 GMC Sierra), and honestly...after crewing that for a week, all I wanted was a smaller car! But if you have pickup chassis questions...
sawdustbear

Postby Recoil » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 am

well im still not sure yet what was the main issue but the golf cart wasent charging the battery so after a few hours of driving it would kill the battery. I am thinking its one of two things, the starter/generater (its one unit) is broken and starts but dosent charge or the cart just isent set up to drive at speeds below 10mph so the starter/gen isent getting the rpm to charge the battery. I rigged up a trickle 10amp charger that a friend let me barrow to charge the battery half way threw the week that i ran off the generator witch ment that even during the day i had to run a geny were ever i went witch sucked but the one i have got great gas mileage

I knew this before hand so it wasent a issue but just so you know if you get a golf cart and you plan on running it stock do not add anything extra to the normal battery load, ive talked to a few people and even a small thing like head lamps will kill the battery

Bring a spare tire! I had planed on doing this but ran out of funds and desided to risk it and on thursday one of the valve steems cracked so i had a slow leak in one tire witch basically made it impossible to do anything other then drive to the burn site air up and drive home for rest of the week= (

The cart it self got amazing mpg btw i only used about 5 gallons of gas just on the cart but with parking it at the end im gussing if it was running good i would have only used up a few more gallons

Things i will do different next year:Bring a spare tire! Add piping to move the exaust to out side the cart (this killed the generator when ever i sat for more then a few hours like burn night but was fine with normal use) gonna upgrade the rear shocks to some bigger springs so i dont bottem out if i have 5 people on board and maybe get a new low tork drive spring (these things rock btw ive seen people haul boats out of the water up hill with my type of cart)
I am sure there will be more that im not thinking of atm but thats what i have right now

One thing is for sure tho when you do your set up make sure you have the best seat that you want to sit in, this was a mistake on my part for mine in that i moved my seat so far forward to make room for passengers behind my seat that when i operate the wings, head and driving controls it gets very uncomfortable for me after a hour or so driving and i wish i would have put hings in a better spot but in the end for my MV it is the only real spot for them to go because of the inner workings of the cabling and such so meh (dosent help that im freging 6'4 lol)
Recoil

Postby Recoil » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 am

One more thing is when building your MV even if you do it the way i did and do all the work your self you should defiantly at the very least have a friend there to chat with. I get a lot done when i work alone but sometimes i would come across a problem that i just could not find a fix to and a friend would just be like ''why dont you just do -insert something obvious-'' and it works out great! No matter how big or small your MV is it will turn out to be more work then you think and i would highly sujest including your friends in it even if they just hang out and drink beer while you work and if they do help out it will make the MV that much better out on the open playa rolling with your friends knowing everyone helped make this happen!
Recoil

Return to Transportation