Get OFF My Lawn!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Get OFF My Lawn!

Postby Aya » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 am

We had a terrible problem this year with people trespassing in our camps personal space to save there little asses a few step to their camps, even after setting up a perimeter they still rudely insisted on walking about our camp. On burn night they did it and even verbally bashed us for asking them to go around.
Anyone else have these problems?
Aya

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Black Rock Army

Re: Get OFF My Lawn!

Postby changoloco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:25 am

Really? You are one of those people? Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You weren't near 3+A were you? Why would you even make a perimeter? No one owns any piece of land at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to walk circles through your camps. Stupid noobs.
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Postby bluesbob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 am

We had all sorts of people walk through our camp also. We fought them off with a wave and a hello.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 am

bluesbob wrote:We had all sorts of people walk through our camp also. We fought them off with a wave and a hello.

+100 8)
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 am

changoloco wrote:Really? You are one of those people? Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You weren't near 3+A were you? Why would you even make a perimeter? No one owns any piece of land at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to walk circles through your camps. Stupid noobs.

Aya has a right to privacy.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby changoloco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
changoloco wrote:Really? You are one of those people? Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You weren't near 3+A were you? Why would you even make a perimeter? No one owns any piece of land at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to walk circles through your camps. Stupid noobs.

If you want privacy, take a nice vacation in a secluded desert. If it is privacy that you are looking for, BM is not the place for you. How you could disagree with that is beyond me.
changoloco

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 am

You can have a bit of your camp be secluded and private. However, if they were camped there first, it is a bit rude to plop down in an established right of way.

I like claymores myself.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby wedeliver » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 am

OR guard towers at all 6 corners, razor wire traps those drunks and will not release them. digging a trench and filling it with water and crocs also works well to keep the rabble out. And if you really want to keep em out, get rid of the blinky lights and music as that draws them like bees to honey. I have no idea why I am posting in this thread, but its what I do.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am

changoloco wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

If you want privacy, take a nice vacation in a secluded desert. If it is privacy that you are looking for, BM is not the place for you. How you could disagree with that is beyond me.

Wait until some valued piece of equipment walks off with one of those people before saying that again. Or until one of those young men dancing with your wife, decides he can watch the two of you fuck.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby devilgrrl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am

bluesbob wrote:We had all sorts of people walk through our camp also. We fought them off with a wave and a hello.

Don't you love all the smiles generated? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
devilgrrl

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 am

changoloco wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

Your confusion is not my problem.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ibdave » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am

over the years, the wave and Hello's work well...... But over the years the yahoos also feel it's cool to literally walk through and move peoples bikes and comment to leave this space open for passage. it really goes both ways... I did have a back lot guy this year start to walk in, but saw we were eating and went around... I tossed him a beer later and told him thanks...I see both side...... easy on the OP... 8) 8) 8)

I use to deliver the paper back in the day on the Playa, walking into camps can also most get you killed... I had to start yelling out "paper-boy" as I made my rounds... People never know if it's "LEO' checkin them out... right?
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm

||
I always set my camp with a 18 inch trash fence around it..
Then keep the front open and friendly for visitors..
Last time space was tight.. Some young 20s burners asked and I tool the fence down
They camped so tight they tied off to the wheels of my van..
Nice bunch of kids.. Didn't come into my space cept to say hi..
unjonharley

Postby changoloco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Your confusion is not my problem.

I never said that I was confused, nor did I say that it was your problem. Let me clear this up for you. If you want privacy then, go to a desert that is secluded. Yes BRC is in Black Rock Desert but, when the event is going on, it is far from secluded. If you want privacy, go somewhere like, the Mojave Desert which is isolated and secluded 365 days a year. I think that the one that was confused here was you. Did that help with your confusion? I sure hope that it did. :D
changoloco

Postby bradtem » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:22 pm

I guess it's a sign of the times. In the past you would feel little problem with those walking through your camp. Today you have a harder time wondering if they might be people out to take something. And some some camps put up tight perimeters which is a shame -- even if you don't want people taking shortcuts through your camp you don't want to have to be a gated community either.

Even so, going back for many years we've found we have to close off the entrance road to our camp, the one we leave for people to get in and out of camp, because if you don't, people in the more densely packed years would take it as somewhere to set up camp, even on A street. This year there was less of that due to all the extra streets, it was always possible to find space back there so people were less desperate.

There is also an issue with stuff you leave out that you don't want people biking through at high speed.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby A Jester » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:36 pm

I love yelling: GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CAMP HIPPIE! or: STOP RIDING YOUR BIKE THROUGH MY CAMP HIPPIE! or, if they actually are riding a bike or driving a car through my camp: HEY FUCKO, LOOK OUT FOR THE UNMARKED REBAR!

Of course, my camp has a long standing tradition of yelling at people as they come through our camp. I don't know if any of us really care, but it is fun to yell things.

If you're next to me and want to walk through my camp to rush to the portos, cool. If you want to come in and make friends, cool. We lost one bike an a five gallon jug of water this year, so we felt a little more like telling people to use the damn roads.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Aya » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Something I didn't mention in the beginning was that the offenders never said hello in the beginning, never introduced themselves and blew us all off when we tried to play nice neighbors.
So I guess my camp and I are all a-holes for wanting a tiny bit of security for our props, equipment and belongings. Bad bad burners are we!
Aya

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Black Rock Army

Postby A Jester » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Just stack stuff up so your area isn't an attractive road. Randomly throw things behind you, have a corridor of death, and keep tripping hippies on leashes at your front door. That's what i do when I need to keep the Witnesses away and get some good sleep.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 pm

If you saw Aya's camp; Playa Waste Raiders, the frontage was not an 'invite' to walk thru, but a barrier of scrap metal, wood, corpses, etc.

Rangers also mentioned "Castle Doctrine" some legal term, applies to outsiders in a camp's space.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm

changoloco wrote:Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You weren't near 3+A were you? Why would you even make a perimeter? No one owns any piece of land at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to walk circles through your camps. Stupid noobs.

You came to my camp, didn't you? I missed it while on an ice run, but when I came back, the entire village was talking about an aggressive shit-for-brains hippie that wanted to lecture everyone about freedom of property. Fuck off if that was you.

Here is a simple bit of knowledge for you to keep in mind: Fences have many purposes. Some times they keep you from walking into dangerous areas, like tripwire alley, or an area that a flame effect device points towards. Other times, they are in fact there to keep people away from high value items, because there are shit heads out there (apparently you might be one of them) that think no one "owns" anything, and they have a right to everyone else's property.

Go back to rainbow land, fuck-face. You want to talk 10 principles? Ok then.

Radical Inclusion does not give anyone the right to walk into my personal living space.

"Civic Responsibility:
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws."

Respecting ones neighbor is a highly-valued trait in BRC, and in Terminal City. People that walk through fences & then bitch and moan when they injure themselves on the trip hazards the fences are in place to protect against are not respectful types.

"Leaving No Trace:
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them."

When some asshat cuts through another persons camp & takes a shit, vomits, pees, destroys a tent or any number of other things, they are leaving a trace. They are also not being good neighbors.

Good neighbors always know the secret entrance, because they come over and introduce themselves.
The only people that are inconvenienced by fences are the people that come into your camp to steal, damage, deficate or assault. Fuck those people.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby changoloco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

The CO wrote:
changoloco wrote:Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You weren't near 3+A were you? Why would you even make a perimeter? No one owns any piece of land at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to walk circles through your camps. Stupid noobs.

You came to my camp, didn't you? I missed it while on an ice run, but when I came back, the entire village was talking about an aggressive shit-for-brains hippie that wanted to lecture everyone about freedom of property. Fuck off if that was you.

Here is a simple bit of knowledge for you to keep in mind: Fences have many purposes. Some times they keep you from walking into dangerous areas, like tripwire alley, or an area that a flame effect device points towards. Other times, they are in fact there to keep people away from high value items, because there are shit heads out there (apparently you might be one of them) that think no one "owns" anything, and they have a right to everyone else's property.

Go back to rainbow land, fuck-face. You want to talk 10 principles? Ok then.

Radical Inclusion does not give anyone the right to walk into my personal living space.

"Civic Responsibility:
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws."

Respecting ones neighbor is a highly-valued trait in BRC, and in Terminal City. People that walk through fences & then bitch and moan when they injure themselves on the trip hazards the fences are in place to protect against are not respectful types.

"Leaving No Trace:
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them."

When some asshat cuts through another persons camp & takes a shit, vomits, pees, destroys a tent or any number of other things, they are leaving a trace. They are also not being good neighbors.

Good neighbors always know the secret entrance, because they come over and introduce themselves.
The only people that are inconvenienced by fences are the people that come into your camp to steal, damage, deficate or assault. Fuck those people.

OK Fucko, Number 1) I didn't walk through ANYONE'S camp, period. Number 2)I had a $2000 sound system and DJ equipment in my camp and it was free for anyone to walk through. Do you know why I didn't worry about it? Because I am not a fucking moron and I put locks on my valuable shit.

You calling me a hippie and chastising me about thievery is completely uncalled for. I would never, ever steal anything from anyone. I work my ass off to go to the burn, since 1997 mind you. I rely on myself.

I'll bet that you were about to call me another disparaging thing like, "Newbie" or "Virgin". You see when you ASSUME things, you make an ASS out of U and ME. You just made a complete ass out of yourself. Take your Terminal City and shove it up your ass, I haven't stepped foot into that camp since 2008, fucktard.
changoloco

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Chango, to use your own words with regard to locks:

"Really? You are one of those people? Do you know that one of the ten principles is radical inclusion? You didn't have sound gear did you? Why would you even use a lock? No one owns any piece of gear at the burn. I heard about people like you. It made me want to take boltcutters through your camps. Stupid noobs."

Didn't call you a hippie, newbie, or virgin. I said to fuck off if that was you. If you've not been to TC since 08, it obviously wasn't you.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Jesus fuck, people.

Just camp up in your scaffold or steam-monkey treehouses and fling poo at passersby below, that's what I do.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm

If your camp is so big that groups of people can easily walk through (or fuckin A RIDE THEIR BIKES THROUGH) it you're taking up more space than you need. Fuckin flame me. Shit. LOL.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Zulegoona » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:09 pm

You know when you wake up and there is someone “just passing through” peeing on your tent and your pillow is soaking it up you tend to think twice about how open you want your space to be.
Zulegoona

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm

JStep wrote:If your camp is so big that groups of people can easily walk through (or fuckin A RIDE THEIR BIKES THROUGH) it you're taking up more space than you need.

Ah, there's the rub. It is not easy to walk through Playawaste Raiders (125'w x 100'd) or M*A*S*H (100'w x 100'd). You must cross clearly marked lines (sometimes called "fences", "walls", "caution tape", "barricade" or "my fucking tent what the fuck are you doing in it?") to get in from any side. When people make an effort to cut down a fence (or the side of your tent), and then get pissy with you for putting it in their way, they don't get a lot of credibility.
The CO

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Zulegoona wrote:You know when you wake up and there is someone “just passing through” peeing on your tent and your pillow is soaking it up you tend to think twice about how open you want your space to be.

You think that's bad -- I was next to a porn camp in '96, and pee wasn't the problem.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Zulegoona » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Bob wrote:
Zulegoona wrote:You know when you wake up and there is someone “just passing through” peeing on your tent and your pillow is soaking it up you tend to think twice about how open you want your space to be.

You think that's bad -- I was next to a porn camp in '96, and pee wasn't the problem.

Location, Location, location oh yeah and curb appeal
Zulegoona

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Curd appeal?

Crud appeal?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 pm

The CO wrote:
Ah, there's the rub. It is not easy to walk through Playawaste Raiders (125'w x 100'd) or M*A*S*H (100'w x 100'd). You must cross clearly marked lines (sometimes called "fences", "walls", "caution tape", "barricade" or "my fucking tent what the fuck are you doing in it?") to get in from any side. When people make an effort to cut down a fence (or the side of your tent), and then get pissy with you for putting it in their way, they don't get a lot of credibility.

Well, ok.... Granted... but really, how many times has this happened and how many years are we talking? If you're talking once a year, you're lucky. quitcherbitchin. If you're talking like this happens 5 or 6 times a day every year then you're doing it wrong....
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man