**ANXIETY**

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby dcweas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Will one or both of my children (boys age 7 & 9) left in the careful care of my mother, fall and sustain a severe injury, prompting the school to ignore my careful crafted instructions that I am off the grid & unavailable & to call my mom in case of emergency, and instead try to call me multiple times, eventually giving up & then notifying either the authorities or my ex (kid's dad) that I am uncaring & an unfit mother?

Also, will my parasol blow apart in the wind?
I'd rather hit the books.
dcweas
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am

dcweas wrote:Will one or both of my children (boys age 7 & 9) left in the careful care of my mother, fall and sustain a severe injury, prompting the school to ignore my careful crafted instructions that I am off the grid & unavailable & to call my mom in case of emergency, and instead try to call me multiple times, eventually giving up & then notifying either the authorities or my ex (kid's dad) that I am uncaring & an unfit mother?


Probably not. :)

Also, will my parasol blow apart in the wind?


I've used the same parasols at 2+ Burns without them blowing apart or incurring damage. One is treated heavy paper, and the other was a traditional umbrella too amusing not to use. (I just bought a third in white cotton.) I use them for neighborhood strolls at moments of little-to-no wind, of which there are plenty. If it's gusting, I close 'em up.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:49 am

Somehow I never pictured you as the strolling with a parasol type, Savannah..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby tspinning » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am

Will my shipped gear make it to CA today... will all the rest of my stuff fit in a carry-on and single checked bag?

And dear Spaghetti Monster, why is a hurricane headed for Boston the day I need to fly west!? Like I need that to worry about. At lest my final 2.5 hours of work are here... AHHHHH!
tspinning
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 am

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby jobi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:34 pm

In 2008 I flew into Reno but my enormous bag did not. It had my camping gear, clothes, gifts, camelbak, and random stuff I needed. All I had was my carryon with a change of clothes and toiletries. I got some goggles, a cup, food, and water at Walmart. Beyond that my wonderful campmates all helped me out with a tent, moisturizer, ect. Luckily I was camped next to the boutique.

I checked with Playa Info every day but my bag never was delivered. It eventually turned up 2 weeks later. The experience totally sucked but was also pretty cool that everyone helped me out so much.
jobi
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby The Bee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 am

jobi wrote:In 2008 I flew into Reno but my enormous bag did not. It had my camping gear, clothes, gifts, camelbak, and random stuff I needed. All I had was my carryon with a change of clothes and toiletries.

At first I read this as "all I had was my crayon" and I thought of the wonderful children's book Harold and the Purple Crayon where he drew his reality with a crayon. It's apt, because in a sense we do create our reality by adapting, coping, and well ... you know ... applying those Burning Man principles of immediacy, self-reliance, and community.
User avatar
The Bee
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Santa Barbara and Boulder Creek, CA

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby tspinning » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 am

Oh man jobi, we're going non-stop for that very reason! My USPS gear arrived safe and sound yesterday and all my stuff still at home fit in the single checked and carry-on! Breathing easier now, prolly the last post as it's off on the first leg of my adventure. Cheers all, thanks to everyone on this board that helped with various questions and have provided so much information and assistance! See you in dust!
tspinning
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 am

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 am

The Bee wrote:
jobi wrote:In 2008 I flew into Reno but my enormous bag did not. It had my camping gear, clothes, gifts, camelbak, and random stuff I needed. All I had was my carryon with a change of clothes and toiletries.

At first I read this as "all I had was my crayon" and I thought of the wonderful children's book Harold and the Purple Crayon where he drew his reality with a crayon. It's apt, because in a sense we do create our reality by adapting, coping, and well ... you know ... applying those Burning Man principles of immediacy, self-reliance, and community.

Well, no wonder. Carrion was misspelled.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37421
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am

Some things will never, ever change.

theCryptofishist wrote:Well, no wonder. Carrion was misspelled.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

junglesmacks wrote:Somehow I never pictured you as the strolling with a parasol type, Savannah..


Quick! Tell me what type you have imagined I am. I'm dying to either conform to it or flout it with a vengeance, depending on my mood.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 am

Serif, definitely.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37421
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 am

Savannah wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Somehow I never pictured you as the strolling with a parasol type, Savannah..


Quick! Tell me what type you have imagined I am. I'm dying to either conform to it or flout it with a vengeance, depending on my mood.



Mmmm.. I'm feeling like slightly more gritty/dusty/whisky drinking. Sparkle pony hath not.

Therefore, you must dress in a full body fishnet with glitter and a parasol just to rebel.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm

..and as the last few things get packed for tomorrows flight in the AM, a calm falls across the land. Soon soon now.

For the final day I surfed incredible 7-10 foot perfect storm waves with friends.. had a couple pitchers of beers.. 1lb of peel and eat shrimp.. and plenty of good times all around.

Here we go. See you all on the other side..

:twisted:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby tspinning » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am

Flight cancelled... anxiety turns to anger turns to creative solutions.
tspinning
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 am

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby The Bee » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:52 am

My friend Meri had her flight postponed so I can't pick her up at the Reno airport. Now I have anxiety for her sake. I gave her the link to the ride share board. Her flight arrives Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

I'm anxious for her because it's her first burn, she's a brain-cancer survivor which left her with a minor speech impediment, and I don't know how she really copes because I haven't seen her in many decades. I can't imagine the adventure that awaits her trying to find my camp in the dark on her first day in BRC.
User avatar
The Bee
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Santa Barbara and Boulder Creek, CA

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:33 pm

The Man Will Burn, not matter what you do, meditate on that.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby knowmad » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:20 pm

***Panic Attack***

and with it pain shame and embarrassment. Surrounded by people that love me and I'm flipping out and feeling alone pitied and not worthy.

Wait, pause breath, in with the good out with the bad... I know this drill I'm just fuckin not there today. and I'm onstage I want to be withdrawn but physically need help from others. arrrrgh! and the pain killers are fucking with my emo-space and fuckitalltohell this hurts.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Knowmad, you have an injured/fractured rib along with that pelvis, right? I remember that the one panic attack I have ever had (miraculously just the One, since I am an anxious person by nature) . . . was experienced when I was recovering from a bad chest cold. I think when breathing is compromised, the brain is especially inclined to go to a dark place. Anyway, I'm glad you've got love around you today. It probably feels good for them to take care of you, seriously. Keep breathin'. :)
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Buck up knowmad. ;) and heal...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Canoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 am

knowmad wrote:...
Wait, pause breath, in with the good out with the bad... I know this drill I'm just fuckin not there today. and I'm onstage I want to be withdrawn but physically need help from others. arrrrgh! and the pain killers are fucking with my emo-space and fuckitalltohell this hurts.

...and it's fun when you start avoiding breathing just to get a pause with reduced pain level. After a while, you have a new automatic breathing pattern. I found my self working with O2 levels between 80% and 86%.

In one week, I was able to go from morphine three times a day down to twice a week by eliminating caffeine from my diet. Specifically, eliminating coffee & colas. After this, black tea had a minimal aggravation of pain (despite having a relatively high caffeine content?), provided no decaff coffee the same day; decaff coffee and any mild caffeine source was hell. A single coffee or cola would have me wracked with aggravated pain for three days. YRMV, but it doesn't cost anything to try...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
User avatar
Canoe
 
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Feel better. <3
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
User avatar
Kontradiction
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Los Angeles Area

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby knowmad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Canoe wrote:
knowmad wrote:...
Wait, pause breath, in with the good out with the bad... I know this drill I'm just fuckin not there today. and I'm onstage I want to be withdrawn but physically need help from others. arrrrgh! and the pain killers are fucking with my emo-space and fuckitalltohell this hurts.

...and it's fun when you start avoiding breathing just to get a pause with reduced pain level. After a while, you have a new automatic breathing pattern. I found my self working with O2 levels between 80% and 86%.

In one week, I was able to go from morphine three times a day down to twice a week by eliminating caffeine from my diet. Specifically, eliminating coffee & colas. After this, black tea had a minimal aggravation of pain (despite having a relatively high caffeine content?), provided no decaff coffee the same day; decaff coffee and any mild caffeine source was hell. A single coffee or cola would have me wracked with aggravated pain for three days. YRMV, but it doesn't cost anything to try...


Yeah I have cut out Caffeine and sugar, and smoking because of the risk of pneumonia (lung capacity is down 25%, because of the break)
But wasn't aware that the caffeine is/was a pain aggravation. makes sense though.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Caffeine raises my blood pressure by 10+ points! But my blood pressure has been perfect since I weaned myself off in July for the Burn. (I wanted modest doses to work on the playa. They did.) I think I'm less anxious too, but it's harder to measure than blood pressure.

I know I will make it to November without coffee, now, but I'm even giving thought to continuing beyond.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby knowmad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Savannah wrote:Caffeine raises my blood pressure by 10+ points! But my blood pressure has been perfect since I weaned myself off in July for the Burn. (I wanted modest doses to work on the playa. They did.) I think I'm less anxious too, but it's harder to measure than blood pressure.

I know I will make it to November without coffee, now, but I'm even giving thought to continuing beyond.


yeah when on mussel relaxers a jolt to the blood pressure feels like free-fall. I generally cut the Joe out in the spring as I don't "need" it there after. But living in the Pacific northwest Caffeine addiction is as common as moss, coupled with Seasonal Affected Depression (S.A.D.) Caffeine abuse is pretty easy to fall into and in my opinion not as wonky on the emotions as are the "Emotional Stabilizers" that are offered by my Doctors.
Not looking forward to the coming darkness and the blahs it brings. My plan of defending myself from myself this year is High veg-fruit diet, B-12 supplements, exercise, Marijuana during anxiety attacks, and bi-weekly Sweat lodges. and starting somewhere around Solstice I'll start into the coffee and the solitude.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm

knowmad wrote:
Savannah wrote:Caffeine raises my blood pressure by 10+ points! But my blood pressure has been perfect since I weaned myself off in July for the Burn. (I wanted modest doses to work on the playa. They did.) I think I'm less anxious too, but it's harder to measure than blood pressure.

I know I will make it to November without coffee, now, but I'm even giving thought to continuing beyond.


yeah when on mussel relaxers a jolt to the blood pressure feels like free-fall. I generally cut the Joe out in the spring as I don't "need" it there after. But living in the Pacific northwest Caffeine addiction is as common as moss, coupled with Seasonal Affected Depression (S.A.D.) Caffeine abuse is pretty easy to fall into and in my opinion not as wonky on the emotions as are the "Emotional Stabilizers" that are offered by my Doctors.
Not looking forward to the coming darkness and the blahs it brings. My plan of defending myself from myself this year is High veg-fruit diet, B-12 supplements, exercise, Marijuana during anxiety attacks, and bi-weekly Sweat lodges. and starting somewhere around Solstice I'll start into the coffee and the solitude.


Oh, believe me . . . I'm in the same region as you, so I've met SAD, and it's a bitch. This is why I don't think I'm gonna make it through the winter without coffee, but I'll go as long without it as I can. :)

I like to use 400mg Sam-e (an amino acid) for SAD in winter. 30+ minutes before a meal, and not at night. The Safeway brand works great; it's made in Italy (where they take the potency more seriously I've read) and they sell it "buy 1 get 1 free" every few weeks. If you are bipolar, you shouldn't use it without being supervised. B vitamins enhance it slightly. Your mileage may vary . . .
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Have you folks tried the "full spectrum" light bulbs?
my friends wife got SAD really bad when they moved to Seattle...........those lights made a world of difference.

or, c'mon down here, da both of yaz........and I'll tell jokes and witty rejoinders.....tales of conquest and lies of epic proportion.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Make sure your vitamin D is up to snuff.

SAD actually affects most people that don't get out enough, but they don't usually realize it until they have other issues.
Doesn't have to be seasonal either.

An IES engineer told me some years ago that one theory was that color wasn't important, but brightness was.
I seem to be very sensitive to color myself, and he said he had seen that before.
I prefer a very high K white, like a winter morning.
I use colortone 7500K bulbs in 4 foot fluorescents.
These used to be very pricey, but quite cheap now.

"White" is essentially an arbitrary term, as there is no single composition to sunlight.

Best thing to do is expose yourself to direct sunlight on your face early in the morning.
The infrared component may be important too.
Failing that, use a bright light source.

Fancy full spectrum bulbs are probably not necessary for this, but always more pleasant to use.

The cheapest decent daylight cfls i know of are the ones from home depot.
walmart did have the cheapest, but raised their prices.
The ge from walmart are a higher K and I prefer them, but the home depot cfls are satisfactory.
(Using these on a temporary lighting string really cuts down the amp draw and allows you to use longer and thinner cords without dimming.)

Proper fixtures and ballasts are worth the cost though, and more efficient.
Cfls and fixtures are available in 12VDC.

They make some very high wattage screw in fluorescents now, if you need them, up to 150-200 watts.
You can also get the medium base Y adapters from home depot etc, where you have space.
Four 23-26 watt cfls can be used on a single open socket.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Forget the lights. Just buy some D3 (not D2) supplements. You get an assload in one jar, and only need one of those tiny things per day. Take 'em if you can't get 15 minutes worth of sunlight per day.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:41 pm

I do think taking 5,000 I.U. of D3 per day helped me avoid getting sick last Winter.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: **ANXIETY**

Postby Sail Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 pm

ygmir wrote:Have you folks tried the "full spectrum" light bulbs?
my friends wife got SAD really bad when they moved to Seattle...........those lights made a world of difference.

or, c'mon down here, da both of yaz........and I'll tell jokes and witty rejoinders.....tales of conquest and lies of epic proportion.


And maybe a limerick or 2 ? :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
User avatar
Sail Man
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nipple, tatonka, unitivity and 3 guests