Prescription Meds & The Playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Prescription Meds & The Playa

Postby little_V » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:51 pm

This is first year that I will be taking meds to the playa. In the event of being searched is it best to keep the bottles with me to prove what they are?

Thanks,
V.

10 days!!! :twisted:
little_V

Re: Prescription Meds & The Playa

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 pm

YES. Keep your meds in their bottles. Take them in the privacy of your tent or other enclosure. (I have known of friends who were swooped down upon by undercover cops for huddling together to share a chapstick!)

Follow the instructions on the label for temperature (usually a cool, dry place). This may mean developing a system for keeping them high and dry in a cooler (inside a tupperware and a bag taped to the inside of a lid, for example). At night, your tent will be cool enough, but during the day a tent will be hotter than the air outside.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Token » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, any prescription medication should be kept in the original bottle, with the prescription label that describes the pill and markings and matches the name on your I'D.

If you have rescue medications that you must carry on your person, by all means have them with you, be it in a pill case or the original container. Worry about the rest later.

And finally, make sure you remember to take the meds. Time becomes a strange concept out there so figure out a way to stay on top of that. Having a buddy in camp that is aware of your needs is a good thing.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm

What Savannah and Token said. Prescriptions should always be clearly labeled, in the unlikely event that someone will need to find and get medication for you (as well as to avoid potential hassles if law enforcement is searching you). And if the prescription is for something that you've got to take regularly or suffer as a result, let another campmate (or two) know as well.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:15 pm

I have to take a a little pile of pills every day (migraines, gout, vitamin d, etc) as well as carry emergency migraine meds with me- I bring all the bottles as recommended above.

So I don't forget to take them daily I also bring a weekly pill-box and fill that so I can tell at a glance if I've taken them. Keep the pill-box with your bottles and don't even think of putting anything with your prescriptions that could get you in trouble.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 am

Savannah wrote:YES. Keep your meds in their bottles. Take them in the privacy of your tent or other enclosure. (I have known of friends who were swooped down upon by undercover cops for huddling together to share a chapstick!)

Follow the instructions on the label for temperature (usually a cool, dry place). This may mean developing a system for keeping them high and dry in a cooler (inside a tupperware and a bag taped to the inside of a lid, for example). At night, your tent will be cool enough, but during the day a tent will be hotter than the air outside.

Insulated lunchbox, lie a mini cooler, kept under a blanket. Does the trick for me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 am

i usually eat all of mine on the first day so i don't lose them.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks