Indian Tacos

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Indian Tacos

Postby alkalinenerd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am

Not really sure where to post this, so here goes

Every year during exodus my belly and tastebuds that have been tortured for a week demand that I stop at one of those roadside indian taco stands. However, every year I have ignored them and patronized some less deserving corporate restaurant in Reno. With more thought to supporting local tribes/business, i'm thinking maybe this year is finally the year of Indian Tacos. So I come here for a little research.

Have you had Indian Tacos?
What exactly makes it an Indian taco, besides the locals making it.. I mean how is it different from any other taco?
What sort of ingredient choices have you seen?
Do they sell anything besides tacos?

Any other information on this mysterious Black Rock delicacy would be greatly appreciated.
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Re: Indian Tacos

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:26 am

I am wholeheartedly planning on mowing on some Indian Tacos on the way out this year. Just like you I'd rather spend my money and support tolerant locals.

I don't know if they run 24 hours though, and that would be pretty much required as we intend on leaving directly after temple burn Sunday.

As far as taste goes, my experience is the first meal off the playa is damn amazing. Then again, in 2009 we survived on cold ravioli.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 am

They are made with frybread.

Frybread or tacos made with frybread, at the Paiute stand.

I haven't noticed the rest of the menu.

Good.
gyre

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:49 am

They're pretty basic, but yummy. Fry bread, beans, meat cheese & veggies; with vegetarian options available. I highly recommend supporting the local stands- it's only a couple of bucks out of each of our pockets but that adds up to some nice cash for the locals who put up with us disrupting their lives for a couple of weeks every year.

Comfort & Joy made some flags for Elaine's taco stand this year, and they sent out a shot of one of the veggie taco's that one of their EA sent:

Elaines stand.jpg

Elaines veggie taco.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BAS » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 am

:?: Instead of the pictures, I get the message I do not have permission to view the images. :?
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:57 am

In NM, at the Gathering, I got frybread with fresh berries, chocolate sauce and whopped cream. WOW!

I love frybread with honey too.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:14 am

AntiM wrote:In NM, at the Gathering, I got frybread with fresh berries, chocolate sauce and whopped cream. WOW!

I love frybread with honey too.

Anisette flavored?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 am

Indian tacos are the one must-have food prior to hitting and/or just after leaving the playa. They have the stand at Nixon High School open after The Burn, but if you are coming in early finding them can be an iffy proposition. Here's what I am going to do this year (having learned from 2010): If there are no Indian taco stands open in Nixon on Saturday noonish, about two miles beyond Nixon, just off to your left, there was one open. The problem is that you are barrelling down 447 at 70 MPH and you come to a rise in the road and the stand is just beyond the rise. There is no time to decelerate and safely pull over, so this year I will be watching my speed very closely until such time as I find or pass the stand. Now that being said, Indian tacos are just flippin' delicious. They run $6 to $7, come on fry bread with a big helping of ground beef, lettuce, onions, occasionally tomatoes, and some kind of hot sauce on the side. Knock one of those puppies back with an ice cold beer (or two) and you have a gastronomical delight of monumental proportions. Sadly they don't come with bacon.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 am

But beer is liquid bacon!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MoonSplash » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 am

In 2008, we left minutes after the Man burned, and found ourselves on a fairly empty stretch of Nevada desert at 1:00 am. In the vast darkness, we saw a few lights glittering and beckoning us to make a stop. It was an Indian taco stand.

You do not know nirvana until you eat one of these at 1:00 am after a week in the playa. In the spirit of helping the local economy, we ordered two tacos each, and promptly died and went to heaven. The fry bread was crispy on the outside, yet doughy and and soft inside. A heaping ladle of ground beef and beans were mixed in with lettuce and tomatoes. A shake or two of hot sauce to add an extra layer of hallelijiah on your tongue.

The people at the taco stand were so so sweet and so nice, and even at 1 am in the darkest of nights, they bid us a fond farewell and a safe journey home.

Did it again in 2010, but this time on a Sunday afternoon. Crowds at the taco stand, everyone was happy and patient and dusty and dirty and we wore the Playa like a badge of honor, while the taco stand people were flying the tacos out their windows and making everyone grin with happiness.

Indian tacos served with a side of love.
MoonSplash

Postby Rabbette » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 am

MoonSplash wrote:In 2008, we left minutes after the Man burned, and found ourselves on a fairly empty stretch of Nevada desert at 1:00 am. In the vast darkness, we saw a few lights glittering and beckoning us to make a stop. It was an Indian taco stand.

You do not know nirvana until you eat one of these at 1:00 am after a week in the playa. In the spirit of helping the local economy, we ordered two tacos each, and promptly died and went to heaven. The fry bread was crispy on the outside, yet doughy and and soft inside. A heaping ladle of ground beef and beans were mixed in with lettuce and tomatoes. A shake or two of hot sauce to add an extra layer of hallelijiah on your tongue.

The people at the taco stand were so so sweet and so nice, and even at 1 am in the darkest of nights, they bid us a fond farewell and a safe journey home.

Did it again in 2010, but this time on a Sunday afternoon. Crowds at the taco stand, everyone was happy and patient and dusty and dirty and we wore the Playa like a badge of honor, while the taco stand people were flying the tacos out their windows and making everyone grin with happiness.

Indian tacos served with a side of love.

Ok I'm quite interested in these Indian tacos and I will convince my honey to stop and get some on the way out - Thanks for such a great recommendation!
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby alkalinenerd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:00 pm

thanks everyone for your responses. They sound perfectly fit after a week of culinary desolation. I'm definitely making a stop on the way out this year.
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Postby snake » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:18 pm

for some of these local folks, the week of taco stand sales amount to a third to half of their annual income. support is appreciated.
snake

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:33 pm

it's torture to me, having to drive by all the taco stands (as I cannot eat the gluteny bread).
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Couldn't you get some not in the bread? They almost certainly dish it onto the stuff once ordered.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby HandJamMasterC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 pm

I stopped and got Indian tacos for the first time last year on Monday after Exodus - damn good !! I will stop again this year and get two of them - I recommend them !!
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby The Bee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I hope a taco stand is open on Tuesday 'cause I'm doing a late exit. Anybody know? Well, I guess I'll find out. Indian tacos has become a tradition for us. Yummy, and general good vibes.
The Bee

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:26 pm

I always leave on Tuesday morning, and they are all still there.. :D

The Bee wrote:I hope a taco stand is open on Tuesday 'cause I'm doing a late exit. Anybody know? Well, I guess I'll find out. Indian tacos has become a tradition for us. Yummy, and general good vibes.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:26 pm

I had one in New Mexico and it was amazing. Really huge though, it was more like a pizza. :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:43 am

Also in fernley on main street there is a burrito shop (jahova burrito) you can't miss it it's plastered with a bunch of jahova whitness stuff. They have some dank burritos
Ogdenhousedj

Postby euthlogo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 am

Sounds delicious. Frybread FTW.

Good work locals.

-Tim
<3
euthlogo

Burning Since: 2013

Postby headquarters » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 am

I don't get to have any /pout

Heading north out of BM on 447 to cedarville/klamath falls. there isn't much of anything on that way in/out.
headquarters

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 am

Go south a couple of miles first, it's worth it for this treat! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby kelizabeth » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:39 am

I love the indian tacos! The difference is in the sort of shell they use. Its a sort of flat bread. I usually get one on the way into TTITD, but last year exodus took us 3 HOURS and I was starving by then and my last Cliff bar looked extremely unappetizing by that point.
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman
kelizabeth

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks to our resident Colorado based genius, Senor Illy Dilly, the mystery appears to have been solved.

Indian Tacos are secretly made of all the kamikaze jack rabbit carcasses collected through the week.

..and you wonder why there is only one stand open pre-burn, yet 20 post burn?

alkalinenerd wrote:What exactly makes it an Indian taco, besides the locals making it.. I mean how is it different from any other taco?

Any other information on this mysterious Black Rock delicacy would be greatly appreciated.
junglesmacks

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 pm

alkalinenerd wrote:What exactly makes it an Indian taco, besides the locals making it.. I mean how is it different from any other taco?

Now that we've solved the "mysterious" part, I think we rule out the delicacy part.

I think most importantly, have you noticed that the first Indian Taco stand just after Gerlach is often the busiest?

and on a side note, it is exactly the correct distance from Love's in Fernley, to let the taco do is digestive destruction
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Mr.Coffee » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I, too, was lured in by the prospect of one of these delicious treats (Plus, after 7 hours in the exodus line, we needed a break from the van). The place I stopped at also let us get rid of our trash ($5 a bag). The Tacos were OK, seemed like some sort of canned chuili on fried bread with cheese and accoutrements.

So here's my question:

Where did each of you get tacos, and what where they like? we should compile a list of the vendors, maybe somebody has a particular method that's better, or does something special to the vegetarian-friendly versions.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:31 pm

The lonely Taco stand on 447 after Gerlach.
In 3 years Its the only one I've stopped at, but I've been told its the best.

Pulling off can be deadly if you don't slow down real slow very early! There is no 'exit lane' just have to slow down, and then pull off the road. People come barreling in, which is hella dangerous since it is so dark and there are people walking around. For some reason people assume that being a Darkward stops when you get out of BRC.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Yet again I forgot to get indian tacos either on my way in or on my way out...though both of those times it was around midnight
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 pm

junglesmacks

Next

Return to Food & Drink