Thinking of riding my motorcycle in.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Thinking of riding my motorcycle in.

Postby worldwidewille » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Pending my friends having room to haul my equipment, I am considering riding my motorcycle in.

My question is, is it bad form to split lanes heading in and arriving at the front of the line?

I was trying to put the shoe on the other foot, so to speak and I wouldn't mind it at all respecting the gusto to ride in. Maybe im just bias.

Anyways, your opinion.

Looking forward to bringing the love!
i'm so glad my journey included a stay in BRC!
worldwidewille

Re: Thinking of riding my motorcycle in.

Postby graidawg » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 pm

I thought this was going to be a riding my motorcycle in..... a tutu. or some such similar thread.

i would consider splitting lanes on a bike to get to the front of the queue as annoying as someone just walking to the front of the queue in the post offfice. but then i am british and queueing is our national sport. that said a motorbike isnt going to take much searching so isuspect its more down the gate people not sending you the D lot for cheating.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby worldwidewille » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 pm

so it's considered cheating?

not sure about nevada, but in california, parks,venues,etc usually adopt public vehicle codes (mainly so time isn't wasted on writing and getting special policies) if that's the case, splitting lanes is legal. So I should be okay there. Thanks for your point of view. Maybe i shouldn't do it. I dont want to piss people off. I personally dont think it's a big deal.
worldwidewille

Postby MikeGyver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:51 am

I don't think its "Legally" considered cheating. but I think Garidawg means they might send you for cheating on principle, like you said, if the shoe was on the other foot and you were one of the thousands of people waiting in cars in line and you saw a motorcycle drive by to the front of the line what would you think? you'd probably be annoyed. But i'm a Birgin so I haven't had experience with gate entry so I would see what veterans who have been through it say. I say wait in line, whats it going to help you being in sooner if everyone and all your stuff wont get in for another couple hours?
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby graidawg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 am

worldwidewille wrote:so it's considered cheating? I'm british dude, if we see a queue we stand at the back to find out what we are queueing for.

not sure about nevada, but in california, parks,venues,etc usually adopt public vehicle codes (mainly so time isn't wasted on writing and getting special policies) if that's the case, splitting lanes is legal. So I should be okay there. Thanks for your point of view. Maybe i shouldn't do it. I dont want to piss people off. I personally dont think it's a big deal.

having said that if i was on a motorbike i would drive really reaaaally slowly past all the stionary cars waving at them. till i got to the front then i wiuld calmy wait one car from the front like i had been queueing all that time
or think steve mcqueen and jump the fence then have a wonderful leisurley ride back to the gate.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:23 am

It's a queue, not traffic.

I don't know what the blm would do, probably unpleasant.

If I was working gate, I would leave you in D until you started crying.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:03 am

I think it'd be "cheating".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:21 am

You have a 90% chance of hitting a door!!!

People riding bicycles to will call do this alot.

This is not your typical line.

People are getting in and out of their vehicles constantly to visit, dance, get drinks. It is not safe to do this!
Last edited by FIGJAM on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Igneouss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:31 am

Cheating. Will raise the ire of those you pass. Would not be surprised if gate staff sent you to the back of the line.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 am

i waited on the way in, and on the way out every time i've biked in.

you're not special because you're on two wheels, at least not in this case.

bad form, indeed.

PS...watch out, those ruts and grooves on the way in are treacherous on a street bike, go SLOW....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:20 am

gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:54 am

gyre wrote:It's a queue, not traffic.

I don't know what the blm would do, probably unpleasant.

If I was working gate, I would leave you in D until you started crying.

+5000
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 am

FIGJAM wrote:You have a 90% chance of hitting a door!!!
People riding bicycles to will call do this alot.
This is not your typical line.
People are getting in and out of their vehicles constantly to visit, dance, get drinks. It is not safe to do this!

Cheating.
And the above.

But also, those not on bikes have their vehicle to rest in.
Those on bikes are exposed to the elements without meaningful recourse, for the duration of their turn in line.

I'd vote to pass bikes through quickly so they're not at risk of:
* tying up emergency/medical resources, and/or
* tying up one or more lanes with that response.

The time it takes Gate to pass a bike through is not a meaningful delay to anyone in line.
In exchange, we get to know that fellow Burner is no longer at risk, and our lane won't be delayed if they're ahead of us and need assistance response.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby The Bee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am

Come on people, lighten up. I'm surprised at the animosity of the responses. The guy is not going to be flying by you at 60mph popping wheelies and throwing rooster tails...

I ride a motorcycle in the default world. If I was in my van waiting for the gate and I saw you ride by, splitting lanes, I'd give you a big thumbs up! If you were to stop, I'd offer you a cool glass of water, and then wish you well on your way to the front of the line.

But do be aware of the fact that people routinely get out of their cars while in line. Doors open. People run across lanes. People dance and play with hoola hoops in the lanes. If you decide to lane split, do it very slowly, and stop often to party with the other people in line. I'd recommend an open-face helmet because it's cooler, and you can chat with people.
The Bee

Postby Igneouss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 am

It's not about the legality of splitting lanes on public roads. It's about waiting in line like everyone else. Being on a motorcycle does not give you some sort of special right to skip the line.

If everyone knew that different vehicles where entitled to jump ahead, there would be chaos. I can imagine go peds and bikes and pedestrians zooming all over the place.

BM has some very ugly history with motorcycles in the entrance line...
I've heard that a large percentage of accidents at BM occur in that line. That's one reason that the Org want's people to stay in their cars and not walk ahead to will call...for one example.

Get in line like everyone else. If being out in the elements is too much for you, then bring a car or stay home.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby tinomuypicante » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 am

The Bee wrote:Come on people, lighten up. I'm surprised at the animosity of the responses. The guy is not going to be flying by you at 60mph popping wheelies and throwing rooster tails...

I ride a motorcycle in the default world. If I was in my van waiting for the gate and I saw you ride by, splitting lanes, I'd give you a big thumbs up! If you were to stop, I'd offer you a cool glass of water, and then wish you well on your way to the front of the line.

But do be aware of the fact that people routinely get out of their cars while in line. Doors open. People run across lanes. People dance and play with hoola hoops in the lanes. If you decide to lane split, do it very slowly, and stop often to party with the other people in line. I'd recommend an open-face helmet because it's cooler, and you can chat with people.

+100 But remember that there is a 5MPH speed limit, please correct me If I'm wrong.
Last edited by tinomuypicante on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinomuypicante

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Kostume Kult

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am

graidawg wrote: I'm british dude, if we see a queue we stand at the back to find out what we are queueing for.

You know, I miss those old UK/Soviet "Queue-Offs" of the 1970s and 80s. Remember the year Donnie and Marie hosted? True excitement.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jobi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:34 am

Not cheating. A friend of mine rides his bike in most years. The first year he waited in line for several hours until he was really struggling and had seen other bikes splitting lanes. He has said that gate considers that fine (or "not cheating" in this discussion"). I' m not a biker myself so can only go on what I've heard but he says he feels it is dangerous going a 1mph for hours with an overloaded bike and also has a major concern of running out of fuel with so long an idle.

Opinions will very here, but if I've been waiting in my car for hours and you ride past me, I'm totally cool with it.
jobi

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:20 am

Igneouss wrote:Get in line like everyone else. If being out in the elements is too much for you, then bring a car or stay home.

Word.

Remember this not the Garlic Festival. You are joining a community.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:11 pm

worldwidewille wrote:Pending my friends having room to haul my equipment, I am considering riding my motorcycle in.

My question is, is it bad form to split lanes heading in and arriving at the front of the line?

I was trying to put the shoe on the other foot, so to speak and I wouldn't mind it at all respecting the gusto to ride in. Maybe im just bias.

Anyways, your opinion.

Looking forward to bringing the love!

One of the folks above who saw lane splitting as a negative actually works for Gate, so please take that into account. If you go all the way to the front of the line and Gate catches you, they may take a negative view of your choice. But it's hard to say; I suppose it depends on which Gate Person spots you.

There aren't tons of motorcycles at the event, and people will not be watching out for you. There are indeed bored and/or drunk pedestrians all over the place, strolling around their vehicles, flinging doors open and walking between vehicles to say hello to another car in a caravan, and there are Gates people just trying to do their jobs, which includes walking around on all sides of a vehicle. (They occasionally get hit or pinned by sleepy morons; it happened last year.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MikeGyver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm

jobi wrote:Not cheating. A friend of mine rides his bike in most years. The first year he waited in line for several hours until he was really struggling and had seen other bikes splitting lanes. He has said that gate considers that fine (or "not cheating" in this discussion"). I' m not a biker myself so can only go on what I've heard but he says he feels it is dangerous going a 1mph for hours with an overloaded bike and also has a major concern of running out of fuel with so long an idle.

Opinions will very here, but if I've been waiting in my car for hours and you ride past me, I'm totally cool with it.

I don't mean to start an argument but all the v8 motorhomes will be burning a lot more fuel idling than a street bike would. I know the bike has a lot smaller gas tank, but still.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm

When you turn off the road, ask someone with a radio, if there is someone to ask.
They can radio ahead and ask.

The big problem would be blm or law enforcement, if they don't like it.

They routinely stop people from riding ahead on bicycles, or even walking.
gyre

Postby Hoolie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:05 pm

It wouldn't bother me in the least.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby worldwidewille » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm

interesting.

i'll bring my car. if you've ridden before, you'd know how much of an issue it would be waiting in the direct sun riding the clutch all the way to the front.

thanks
worldwidewille

Postby worldwidewille » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

thanks hoolie! find will e beamin @ postoffice to come by to my hookah tent for a smoke!
worldwidewille

Postby EastcoastEd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:53 pm

I ride myself, and there are alot of places that cater to the "smaller convience" of being on a bike. But I can tell you this...you cut in front of people who've been waiting for 5-7 hours and the only gift you're gonna get is an ass woppin'. Take care.
EastcoastEd

Postby Guglhupf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Worldwidewille, I freakin hope you rode in last year. If you have the balls to deal with the Nevada heat, the dust, and the 5mph speed limit, then more power to you. The time it takes to admit one motorcyclist through the gates is nothing, and the only reason for someone to object would be envy of not having done it/thought of it themselves. Also, what a green way to go if you don't end up filling your car on a rideshare site and would only be one person!
Guglhupf

Postby Eddie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 am

Hey guys, I'll be riding in (from NYC if anyone wants to ride along).

My bike has lately been overheating in heavy traffic, if moving I'm fine.

How is the traffic on the way in? is it stop and go or does it move in decent increments?

Most motorcycles have small radiators and puny fans (that is if they are water cooled, many are air cooled), you can't sit there idling for long.

Say I see my temp gauge rise, do you think the gate would be alright with me riding to the front, explaining why? I would even wait there, on the side, out of the way for as long as they require me to as long as it means by bike does not blow a gasket..
Eddie

Postby CornMan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 am

I think people would get jealous and angry even if you turned off the bike and pushed it to the gate.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby mrchiff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 am

Wow, what a bunch of self centered responses.
Boo Hoo, one guy got in front of me on my way to Burning Man. You would rather ...
*Rider sits exposed, on two wheels, in full gear, balancing in the ruts and dust.
*Air cooled, or poorly water cooled engine sits in the desert heat and overheats. Most are not designed to be stationary, and even with a cooling fan they get hot and the cooling fan sucks the battery life. Shutting it down runs the risk of not being able to restart.
*Sitting between vehicles on a motorcycle is one of the most dangerous places to be, especially when everyone around you is cracked out after driving for hours. Somebody even referenced the fact at how dangerous it is when exposed to traffic.

So yeah, let's put the riders personal safety and equipment at risk because it will make add 5 minutes to your day. There's no need to be nice or care about anyone until after you pass the greeters, right? The guy wants to ride a bike to BRC as part of the experience, but nope, no way man, can't let you do it unless you sit in line like everyone else, because, you know, nobody is special and conformity is the first part of the experience. We can't be nice to cheaters.

And for any of you that are working gate and say you would put them in D-lot just to be punitive - I call BULLSHIT.
mrchiff

Next

Return to Transportation