Life... in the city

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Life... in the city

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:02 am

Last year, my birgin year, having arrived on Thursday or so, I spent most of my time on the playa trying to take it all in, or at least what I could. Sure I visited some friends I knew in another camp, but generally stayed out of BRC. This year I'll be there from the start and I'd like to explore the wonders of BRC and all its splendor especially since I'm in a smaller camp (but by all means full of great people and times).

As much as I'd like to "go with the flow" wandering around I'd also like to have some direction. In the shyness post, someone suggested entering the various theme camps to meet people. I'd like that. So uh... where to start? And where to end? And everything in between? Advice solicited!

Thanks!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Life... in the city

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:08 am

I get shy about the theme camps. The big crowded ones do not appeal, and others, well, I'm shy. Willing to get naked, but shy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby alkalinenerd » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:51 am

I like to flip through the what/where/when book for the current day and find an event that semi interests me and start wandering there. Theres always so much cool shit on the way and i'm easily sidetracked so I only actually make it there about 1/4 of the time, but the adventure is always a blast.
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Postby alkalinenerd » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 am

I just reread the OP and realized I didnt really answer your request, if you enjoy alcohol start here:
Fandango, 4 & Esplanade. Theme is you, drunk. :mrgreen:
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:14 am

Stop by the Lamplighters Lounge on Monday Night at 10pm for our Sangria Soiree party..

Sangria.. Topless Cabana Boys serving Quesadillas on fuckin Silver platters!

Lamplighters been round long time..they do cool stuff for the city..plus they have a kickass bar and their parties are usually very well attended.. lotsa old timers and new people alike... hang out by the bar and have a chat with our friendly barkeep(s)..... or have a seat in one of our many couches.. enjoy the view from the 2nd floor..

Lamplighters Village Lounge is at 5:45 and Rods Road in Center Camp

And dont forget... to stop by to help the lamplighters light the city Every night at 5PM at Lamplighters Chapel Workspace located at 5:45 right behind the Center Camp Cafe.

also.. come by for our Bloody Mary Brunch party, Wednesday at noon... same place. lamplighters lounge..

when you sober up, you can help light lamps at 5pm!

theres more to burning man than dance camps and the esplanade (but lamplighters do light that up as well)!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:53 am

There's the Booby Bar for nights and Golden Cafe for day.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 am

The WWW party listings are a great way to start. Pick something random and seek it out. I mean.. at that point, it's a clear and open invitation to enter in and have a drink or two. Grab a buddy so you have someone to chit chat with if nothing else.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Trishntek » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 am

Most of the camps exist as a gift to Black Rock City. The reason their doors are open is to provide something for someone or anyone. Some are more specific than others or only attract a certain lifestyle or choice of activity. But for the most part, the organizers of a theme camp have put in countless hours for several months to bring their vision to the playa. They invite participation! That is YOUR gift to just about any theme camp,,,,, PARTICIPATE!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

Find a big MV like the Dragon and see if you can climb aboard and hitch a ride.
You'll wind up in a random place in BRC.
Just jump out, find the most interesting sight, approach somebody there and introduce yourself and say "what the fuck is going on?"
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:10 am

Put on a costume, ingest something yummy, then just walk towards whatever blinky lights look interesting. Don't forget to hug a bunch of random people!
Captain

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll remember these names and places. I guess the take-home message is as I thought: let yourself be attracted to the pretty lights. More time in the city is going to be great!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Experiences at Burning Man