Any rock music on the playa?

Any rock music on the playa?

Postby Nymue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14 am

I like a fair share of electronic music, and that's really all I see talked about when it comes to music at Burning Man. But I am a Hard Rock girl at heart, and I would love to hear some of it out on the playa. Is there any to be had? It can't ALL be elctronic, right? :|
First timer here, so not sure what to expect just yet!
Locked up inside you
Like the calm beneath castles
Is a cavern of treasure that
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Re: Any rock music on the playa?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:35 am

It is not permitted.

Okay, I'll take it easy on you. Sure it's out there, as well as just about everything else you could imagine, oh yeah and plenty of things you can't imagine. :)

That said, there are plenty of old hippies who got their rock n roll going on, but the surest way to get your fix is to BRING IT YOURSELF. If that sounds rude, then I suspect you haven't read up on Burning Man principles yet?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Trishntek » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:02 am

We offer a broad array of music which includes about everything Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and Santana ever recorded. We also enjoy the Stones, BTO, Boz Scaggs, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Jimmie Hendrix, Alan Parsons, Argent, The Hollies, Alice Cooper, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers, AC/DC, Metalica, Heart, ZZ Top,,,,, and the list goes on and on,,,,

The techno stuff we have is mostly Enigma, which is great music for erotic scene play. That is what you will mostly hear after dark in our camp. But it will still be a good mix of new and old.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Nymue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:It is not permitted.

Okay, I'll take it easy on you. Sure it's out there, as well as just about everything else you could imagine, oh yeah and plenty of things you can't imagine. :)

That said, there are plenty of old hippies who got their rock n roll going on, but the surest way to get your fix is to BRING IT YOURSELF. If that sounds rude, then I suspect you haven't read up on Burning Man principles yet?

Nope! Doesn't sound rude at all. I'm familiar with the BM principles and have read everything I can feast my eyes on in preparation. And I most definitely want to bring my own music! I've got all my must haves on my iPod, just not sure how in the world to charge it once the battery dies with the whole lack of electricity thing. I suppose I could buy a docking station that runs on batteries? I didn't want to bother all of you nice ePlaya people w/the specifics of that, I'll ask the veteran burner I'm going with. Just wondered (in addition to finding a way to bring my own tunes with me and be able to enjoy them for the duration) if rock music was out there - cuz you never know unless you ask.

Also was just curious why Burning Man seems so entwined with electronic music. I've often wondered the same thing about the fetish parties I go to. For some reason, "fetish music" = electronic music. I'm not sure why that is. Not that I mind, but variety is the spice of life, no?
Locked up inside you
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Postby SecretOperativeBear » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:56 am

Camp Tsunami has had Rock Performances. Caught the Insect Surfers back in 08.

-BeAr
SecretOperativeBear

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: BRC Recycle Camp

Postby unjonharley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Nymue wrote:
Also was just curious why Burning Man seems so entwined with electronic music. I've often wondered the same thing about the fetish parties I go to. For some reason, "fetish music" = electronic music. I'm not sure why that is. Not that I mind, but variety is the spice of life, no?

I was told that monotonous electronic generated noise will be the constant sound in haven.. I aint go'en.. I already have the sound of a roaring river in my ears from a head injury.. That with the voices that only two say don't kill.. I sure as hell don't need any trance.. Also,, Never needed any sound to get me off..
unjonharley

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Cirque Du Cliche at 4:30 and Birthday have a few rock bands, a funk band from Reno called Mojo Green. They usually have a big live band party in their dome Wed. nights. Come on by! This is my first year with these peeps, they are all super fun and kooked out to the max. Dooki Doodle is also playing Center Camp and check Hair of the Dog's stage too. You gotta 'burb it up!! :) Also be on the lookout for March Fourth Marching Band. They will ROCK your world if they are there this year. :crosses fingers:
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 pm

BMan is dominated by electronic music because it goes best with the landscape out there, its new and fresh and evolves in BRC, and the sound systems work best in that environment. Its the heartbeat of the city whether you like it or not. Theres all kinds of music out there, you just cant hear the non electronic as well.

I love other kinds of music so heres my antidote: 1. Go to Music Festivals the rest of the year and 2. Make my own BMan comps full of non electronic music but music that makes me feel Burny and listen to that stuff profusely on the drive there. You will get your fave songs stuck in the back of your head all week while surrounded by the Untz. and 3. Meet people with a sound system and DJ. I did that twice and it was totally thrilling playing my favorite bluegrass bands like Devil Makes Three, Railroad Earth, Trampled By Turtles, and all kinds of other stuff out there like indie rock and hippy music. Had a frickin blast and people enjoyed it. Have a party around it like serve bacon and mimosas and you just filled a hole in the city.
RedHeaven

Postby unjonharley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:54 pm

\

I help fill in the opening between musics by playing old time rock and roll off my MV

!950's and some late 40's
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't think I touched my iPod in 2009. And I love the thing. So wonderful for tuning out idiots on public transit. Not so very fond of the electric dance. but there was also that camp that had an art car that drove around with Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" on it. That got tiring, too.

I did get to hear some Brave Combo once, just running around on playa my first year.
Club Verboten is a dance place that doesn't play techno. I'm sure ther eare others.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nymue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:06 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I love other kinds of music so heres my antidote: 1. Go to Music Festivals the rest of the year and 2. Make my own BMan comps full of non electronic music but music that makes me feel Burny and listen to that stuff profusely on the drive there. You will get your fave songs stuck in the back of your head all week while surrounded by the Untz. and 3. Meet people with a sound system and DJ. I did that twice and it was totally thrilling playing my favorite bluegrass bands like Devil Makes Three, Railroad Earth, Trampled By Turtles, and all kinds of other stuff out there like indie rock and hippy music. Had a frickin blast and people enjoyed it. Have a party around it like serve bacon and mimosas and you just filled a hole in the city.

Mmmm, bacon and mimosas!
Really good tips there, thanks for that! I will definitely make it a point to swing by 4:30 and Birthday and see what's playin'!

SecretOperativeBear (SOB?? :lol: ), I'll keep Camp Tsunami in mind too, thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the electronic stuff too. I am BEYOND thrilled that Infected Mushroom is going to be there, I had no idea until the other day, and when I stumbled across the information by accident, it absolutely MADE my day. But I'm sure at some point I'm going to wish I could hear something else, besides electronic. Good to know that there are some other options out there and to have an idea of where to go for them! :D
Locked up inside you
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 pm

RedHeaven wrote:Its the heartbeat of the city whether you like it or not.

See? No choice.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Nymue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:

See? No choice.

And here I thought Burning Man was all ABOUT choice... :wink:

I'm cool with electronic music being the heartbeat of the city, I think it's fitting. Just so long as I can find a few capillaries that are bucking the trend. :)
Locked up inside you
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:15 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:

See? No choice.

one might also submit,it's the sound of the cities flatulence.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:36 am

I don't see how a non-indy rock concert experience is probable at Burning Man, and anything less just doesn't have the same impact and will feel also-ran. All the bands with professional sound systems are out making money at concert halls and sports arenas. There is just too much involved to get a proper stage and 50,000 watts of power, the personnel, the band who is either on contract elsewhere or is eager to reconnect with their families, and all else it takes to have an over the top rock and roll show that will gain notice. It is so much easier to get a few thousand dollars together, rent some sound equipment that will fit in a single 24 foot moving van, and gather a few loner-with-boner DJs who need the break and want to stroke their egos who can carry their needed equipment in a Samsonite suitcase. I remember the big rock concerts of the 70s and 80s, and it took several semi-truck trailers just for the generators.

I think the lack of a real rock and roll presence is what has saved Burning Man from becoming just another schlocky music festival. Woodstock was 3 days of music and art, but who can remember any of the art there that wasn't music? This being said, I wouldn't complain if a band such as Cake were to show up with a flatbed truck and put on an impromptu show.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 am

Nymue wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

See? No choice.

And here I thought Burning Man was all ABOUT choice... :wink:

I'm cool with electronic music being the heartbeat of the city, I think it's fitting. Just so long as I can find a few capillaries that are bucking the trend. :)

You're right, it's about choice.

If you like telling people what YOU MUST listen to, and insist that they have NO CHOICE, then sell your ticket; your true home is in Defaultia.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 am

Ah guys, to so many of us, the electronic music is basically the carnival music that helps make Burning Man delightfully over the top. I kind of crack up when I walk on the playa and hear the nonsensical cacophony of a half dozen sound camps in the distance going all at once. It is an underlying heartbeat; that is true. I do not consider myself to be a connoisseur of electronic music, and I'd never in a million years put on headphones and listen to it, but I'm glad it's out there on the playa. I did see a few bands try to get something together on the Esplanade, but they just never seemed to gel. Rock and roll is hard work, it takes a special breed and a group effort.
Packoderm

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 am

I might of said that wrong......Of course there is a choice, I gave some Good antidotes.

What I meant by "whether we like it or not" I was referring to actual ROCK bands on the playa. The logistics are just not in favor of it.

Now, rock music played over a PA, all you have to do is go into the burbs.
RedHeaven

Postby chuckwalla » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 pm

There was a great hard rock act right on the playa a few years back. Peroformance art 3 piece band called F Stop? or something. One guys instrument was all metal made of large springs and pipes and pedals, a bass percusion thing, something maybe the blue man group would dream up. Only this thing would blow powerful burts of fire. It was a crazy great show. And live music translates well at Burning Man. Saw Infected Mushrooms play Opulent Temple 2 years ago and they are supposed to play again this year. So Yes, the bigger places are set up for live concerts, not just DJ's who play the same thing over and over and over and over.................................................................and over Every year you hear rumors about some big name band that supposedly showed up and is going to do an improptu show at such and such location and many rush over and nothing ever comes of it. Don't take the bait, but then again what if?
chuckwalla burns
chuckwalla

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:58 pm

There is a cornucopia of EVERYTHING on the playa (somewhere in the deep playa, I wouldn't be surprised to catch a performance from banjonectar) :mrgreen:

The playa can be harsh on instruments, and so a lot of the non-electronic music tends to be pre-recorded/DJ'd anyways (iTunes playlist style), but there are some brave (and dusty) souls out there who bring it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SecretOperativeBear » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 pm

There ARE alot of rockstars out there in disguise. Maybe you'll get lucky and run into Bob Dylan or Lenny Kravitz playing a new song.
SecretOperativeBear

Camp Name: BRC Recycle Camp

Postby Nymue » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 am

Packoderm wrote:I don't see how a non-indy rock concert experience is probable at Burning Man, and anything less just doesn't have the same impact and will feel also-ran. All the bands with professional sound systems are out making money at concert halls and sports arenas. There is just too much involved to get a proper stage and 50,000 watts of power, the personnel, the band who is either on contract elsewhere or is eager to reconnect with their families, and all else it takes to have an over the top rock and roll show that will gain notice. It is so much easier to get a few thousand dollars together, rent some sound equipment that will fit in a single 24 foot moving van, and gather a few loner-with-boner DJs who need the break and want to stroke their egos who can carry their needed equipment in a Samsonite suitcase. I remember the big rock concerts of the 70s and 80s, and it took several semi-truck trailers just for the generators.

I think the lack of a real rock and roll presence is what has saved Burning Man from becoming just another schlocky music festival. Woodstock was 3 days of music and art, but who can remember any of the art there that wasn't music? This being said, I wouldn't complain if a band such as Cake were to show up with a flatbed truck and put on an impromptu show.

I wasn't even thinking about actual rock band performances out at BM. I just meant somewhere that I can go hear something aside from electronic music without having to put on headphones (which is what I use to tune OUT from everything around me, which really isn't something I want to do while I'm out there!). I was thinking more along the lines of rock music coming out of speakers, not actual instruments and a band performing.
Although, loving Cake as I do, I also wouldn't complain if they showed up! :D
Locked up inside you
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Postby Nymue » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am

RedHeaven wrote:I might of said that wrong......Of course there is a choice, I gave some Good antidotes.

What I meant by "whether we like it or not" I was referring to actual ROCK bands on the playa. The logistics are just not in favor of it.

You certainly did give some good antidotes! So, what's considered the burbs?
Locked up inside you
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°
Nymue

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am

RedHeaven wrote:I might of said that wrong......Of course there is a choice, I gave some Good antidotes.

Thank you! :)
It's funny how our thoughts become polarized on the internet.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Packoderm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

No comment.
Packoderm

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Cool! :)

Oh now lets not get huffypuffy about some good rock antidotes. People know this aint Coachella. There is plenty of rock music to be had. Like I said most of it is in the burbs. The Burbs, I meant Suburbs. The Streets. 3:00-9:00 and back behind A. All kinds of treasures back there. Speaking of Suburbs, I am going to BLAST Arcade Fires Grammy Winning Album this year myself on a PA, and I hope to hear many other camps do the same! Its soooo Burny

Some of my favorite playa moments were just listening to an ipod over a good sound system.

Its almost like LIVE MUSIC is TOO MUCH....If my favorite bands were out there, I wouldnt get ANYthing done, I would be a fucking tourist!! :oops:

BUT, usually there are a few really good ensembles that make it to Burning Man that are really worth seeking out. All my Playa faves like March Fourth Marching Band, Mermen, Hamsa Lila, Albino, dont do it anymore. I havent found a replacement yet! heheh.....Been kind of searching around and I think the best bet is to go to the camps that specialize in live bands. they may not be Super Epic live bands but there are some goodins in the rough. I know Center camp is lame during the day but at night Ive seen some great performances there. Hair of the Dog has live bands as does my camp.

Did I mention, Mojo Green from Reno and members of really good norcal psychedlic groove rock bands are all going to be jamming WEDNESDAY NIGHT at CIRQUE DU CLICHE at 4:30 and B!
Funfunfunfunfun.

Just let the sound take over as a whole....Feel the disgust about sounds you dont like, and love the sounds you do. Let it all muddle together to create the Bernie Experience.
One of the greatest sounds Ive heard out there is a Steel drum player at dawn.
Another great sound was sitting on top of a pyramid at dawn, and hearing Opulent Temple WHOMP GRIND out in the background a mile away like it was a gigantic armageddon machine, and a camp a block away at the same time was playing Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine'
It was the best funniest most surreal natural mash up Ive ever heard!

Speaking of mash ups, if you want to go dance to all kinds of Fun Pop hits of old and new, go to Fandango on the esplanade and enjoy their world class mash up parties. :mrgreen:
RedHeaven

Postby alkalinenerd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 am

go to Fandango on the esplanade and enjoy their world class mash up parties.

Esplanade & 4, 8pm Thursday! yeeeee! :mrgreen:
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Postby The Chinese » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Bullshit that electronica is the heart of Burning Man- it's just the LOUDEST.

We at Transmorphagon, who love our EDM as much as anyone, bring a lIve music stage out to the PLaya and have live bands every night, except Burn Night. Tuesday, we have 3 Excellent Rock Acts from 9-1AM, Wed we have some Mid tempo, Down tempo Alternative, Thursday Funky & Up, Friday Anything goes!

BRC was founded on Live music- but it's a LOT harder to do well. DJ rigs get to spend all their money on front of house, whereas Live stages have to spend money on 2 Systems- Front of house and monitors. and buld a large stage. And Lights. and Instruments, Amps, DI's.

Chino
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:51 pm

I stand corrected! I was just saying that it is the most popular and lots of DJs create new sounds out there, it might not be the heart of burning man but its the....um...lets see......Butthole of Burning man? How about the ARMPIT :)
RedHeaven

Postby Coda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Greetings! We are Interstellar Transmissions from Austin TX. Our outfit is a three peice instrumental shamanic trance rock experience equiped wit a light show, soundsystem, and allot of Love to spread.

Because this is posted via phone we cannot post links. So to hear our tunes google/facebook/youtube our name,

Interstellar Transmissions.

We would love to perform at any camps interested so we may share our gift with as many of our fellor burners as possible.

Light and Love,

-IT
Coda

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance