Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:50 am

I think someone needs to takes action against these scalpers, and i mean action not unaction. Next year burner organizers should pose as buyers to scalpers, and when the ticket is confirmed, they should cancel the ticket, and let them drive all the way to the dessert and turn their ass around. Just an idea, I'm sure something can be done , maybe the likes of Glastonbury festival????........still trying to find a ticket myself so i can be with my lover on the playa(last minute notification i had work off) please help me!
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby jag8 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 am

lol

Stop throwing a tantrums and start looking for tickets.
jag8
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:24 am

The best action to take is to be better prepared (radical self reliance, yo). Had you been subscribed to the Jack Rabbit Speaks and reading any of the updates, you would have had months and months of warnings that tickets were selling quickly, and would sell out.

Other than that, it is important to know that scalping is legal in the state of Nevada (whose laws govern the event). While I'm sure the BMOrg will look at many options when planning next year's event, it would be tricky (if not downright impossible) to make the event scalper-proof without actually moving the event to another state (which I don't think anybody wants to do). And even if all that DID happen, procrastinators would still drag their feet and not get tickets in time, and blame their situations on anybody but themselves.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10628
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:34 am

I said it once before, when I just couldn't take the complaining anymore, and I'll say it again:

If people didn't pay the scalpers, they wouldn't be scalping.

"Scalpers" are just being good Americans, enterprising and capitalizing on those in a nation who live by supply and demand.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby jella » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 am

C.f.M. wrote:I said it once before, when I just couldn't take the complaining anymore, and I'll say it again:

If people didn't pay the scalpers, they wouldn't be scalping.

"Scalpers" are just being good Americans, enterprising and capitalizing on those in a nation who live by supply and demand.

+1
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

jella wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I said it once before, when I just couldn't take the complaining anymore, and I'll say it again:

If people didn't pay the scalpers, they wouldn't be scalping.

"Scalpers" are just being good Americans, enterprising and capitalizing on those in a nation who live by supply and demand.

+1


I'll take Jella's +1, and raise you a +100 (available in 4 months, after a sell out)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Eric wrote:
jella wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I said it once before, when I just couldn't take the complaining anymore, and I'll say it again:

If people didn't pay the scalpers, they wouldn't be scalping.

"Scalpers" are just being good Americans, enterprising and capitalizing on those in a nation who live by supply and demand.

+1


I'll take Jella's +1, and raise you a +100 (available in 4 months, after a sell out)


I'll add in 20 minutes of yodeling........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Captain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Sometime between now and when the burn starts, there are going to be a lot of unsold tickets out there. I wonder if scalpers are gonna start trying to get whatever they can for them, or just let them go unsold?
User avatar
Captain
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Dust Becomes You » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:47 pm

3 campmates come in early Thursday morning before the burn for the last several years. They wait until after the event started and then put out a tix wanted post. By Wednesday night they have people calling to sell tickets for $100.

Last year it was 3 tix for $270, plus the seller drove 30 minutes to deliver to their doorstep.

And yeah I agree with the OPP! Damn those tight scalpers. Loosen up already! Gripping them that hard will leave creases!
Dust Becomes You
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 pm

just how does someone practice radical self reliance when they cant book off work and work a month on month off on call??? should have i got my tickets even when they never sell out and thought i was working? Inaction does not work like i said. How many tickets are being sold for over face value even on the eplaya? its easy to say oh just dont buy them then, Its a joke that inaction is the burners way of dealing with the real issue of scarcity? This community is going to have to face the real issues of limited space as they never have before, and a community so focused on collectivism needs more solutions to scarcity than not doing anything, the truth is im on a spiritual journey trying to connect with my lover, i couldnt go and now at the last moment i have work off, i want to start on this journey with her by surprising her by asking her to marry me. I couldnt think of a better place:).... Its a pipe dream if you think i can buy a ticket the last moment living in canada, it takes 3 days to drive there, i can accept comments like bite your tongue there is always next year, but inaction, or wait it out is overoptimism at its worst , a dream at best. I would like to think there is something real ,not wishy-washy that could be done by even organizers, and that what my post was about, i dont need to hear why i should have gotten a ticket early or to be judged because i didnt read the countless newsletters warning of a possible sellout, that doesnt change the fact that im without a ticket. People think they understand everyone's circumstances, even if i had known they could sell out, it was still a maybe not a forsure, and i cant justify buying a ticket, when im on call for work, and may not be able to sell it..... thanks for replying to my personal issues. NOT!!!.....This thread was a discussion about the possibilities of stopping scalping like has been done at glastonbury festival, I guess people are more interested in getting their opinions across rather than to be engaging, is this not about participation? because i feel like its a board for opinionated commentary?????
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:03 pm

You are proposing what the "organizors" should do.

WE are NOT the "organizers".
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Yea but a discussion of the participants could start a dialogue that may get the organizers listening.
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:07 pm

They are not here, and they think you should have better prepared yourself also,
thus all the JRS messages strongly hinting that it might sell out in advance.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm

one eye dick your sounding like a broken record player, in unbburner like fashion go eat a dick. im well aware of my short comings.
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:20 pm

You might be aware of your short comings, but it appears that's about all you are aware of. Scalping is legal--at least you can be relatively sure you won't be scammed if you go through a legitimate ticket re-seller. A Visa with a high credit limit has it's advantages.
hyperspacetraveler wrote:one eye dick your sounding like a broken record player, in unbburner like fashion go eat a dick. im well aware of my short comings.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Scalping is in fact legal, so is using cameras right? then how can event organizers stipulate no cameras at events?, or refuse you entry on any grounds?........ read the ticket, the organizers have the right for any reason to refuse you entry, a scalped ticket even if legal could be use under these grounds. How are there so many closed minded burners trolling this forum, You must be in the same place as me if you looking at postings for 2011 tickets, if you already have tickets and don't have any to sell, why dont you get off your high horse self and get a life rather than educating and trolling forum post so your opinion can be heard.
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:47 pm

hyperspacetraveler wrote:Its a joke that inaction is the burners way of dealing with the real issue of scarcity?


They're not scarce- there's well over 50,000 of them. Just because you don't have one of the 50,000 doesn't make them "scarce", it makes them Sold Out.

If you don't like the re-seller's prices, don't pay them; but doing so runs a risk you won't be attending this year.

As the system stands, the owner of the ticket can sell them for whatever they are able- doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else thinks about it: Nevada law allows scalping. More generally, there is no way to change the ticket sales for 2011 at this point in the game, so all your frustration isn't doing any good for this year- honestly, the BMorg isn't listening right now, probably 90% of them are on-playa already.

Next year they may change things, but people on here will find out the same time as everyone else.

As for people on this board getting "off your high horse self"- you posted a question in on a public forum. Multiple questions in fact. Just because you don't like the answers does not make the person doing the answering a troll.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey, it's how we amuse ourselves and each other. You desperate ticket seekers are a great source of entertainment. And considering you've totally overtaken the board making it almost useless for anything else, it's the least we can do. It's like snarking at fish in a barrel. Eleven posts, I see...where were you and your contributions to our community these last twelve months? I guess you didn't need us then, and had you gotten your ticket in time like the rest of us, you wouldn't otherwise be here overwhelming the board for the rest of us that actually contribute to it and use it to prepare for the burn. :evil:

Help me! Help me! Help me! Help you? Fuck you! We don't even know you. :shock:
hyperspacetraveler wrote:Scalping is in fact legal, so is using cameras right? then how can event organizers stipulate no cameras at events?, or refuse you entry on any grounds?........ read the ticket, the organizers have the right for any reason to refuse you entry, a scalped ticket even if legal could be use under these grounds. How are there so many closed minded burners trolling this forum, You must be in the same place as me if you looking at postings for 2011 tickets, if you already have tickets and don't have any to sell, why dont you get off your high horse self and get a life rather than educating and trolling forum post so your opinion can be heard.
Last edited by jkisha on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Dust Becomes You » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:59 pm

So then stick to your plan. You have the time off, you have a dream, so why let something as silly as not having a ticket one week before the event turn you into a complaining wuss he-bitch?

Provision. Pack. Gas it up. Proactively haunt all the ticket sales areas not just in your area but in the cities you will be driving thru. Freaking PUT IT OUT THERE, if you don't want to accept the cards you've been dealt move over to the craps table.

Cause if you're just going to sit there and cry into your cornflakes, well lets just say that if I had an extra ticket and was looking to make a life changing e-playa act of kindness (which happens quite a few times look it up) I would rather offer my ticket to Dick Cheney than you at this point. Sounds like he'd be more fun.
Dust Becomes You
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Dust Becomes You wrote:Cause if you're just going to sit there and cry into your cornflakes, well lets just say that if I had an extra ticket and was looking to make a life changing e-playa act of kindness (which happens quite a few times look it up) I would rather offer my ticket to Dick Cheney than you at this point. Sounds like he'd be more fun.


+100
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7105
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 pm

Once again so close minded troll, you have posted over 300 times , really love to hear yourself talk hey? I AM ALL READY TO GO, packed, gassed up and i have been refreshing craigs, kijiji, fb local burners forums, and the eplaya for 5 days straight, and only on this eplaya that is suppose to represent the community have i got such negative feedback. this will be my last post here to you, so you got one last chance to hear yourself speak and me listen to it.... If you were a real burner with an act of kindness in your heart you wouldnt be defending scalpers or trolling posts , instigating negative. Check yourself man your a freak.
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby UrpleEeple » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 pm

hyperspacetraveler wrote:How are there so many closed minded burners trolling this forum


I've been wondering this for a while
UrpleEeple
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:50 pm
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:08 pm

UrpleEeple wrote:
hyperspacetraveler wrote:How are there so many closed minded burners trolling this forum


I've been wondering this for a while

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
User avatar
hyperspacetraveler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby knowmad » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Dust Becomes You wrote:So then stick to your plan. You have the time off, you have a dream, so why let something as silly as not having a ticket one week before the event turn you into a complaining wuss he-bitch?

Provision. Pack. Gas it up. Proactively haunt all the ticket sales areas not just in your area but in the cities you will be driving thru. Freaking PUT IT OUT THERE, if you don't want to accept the cards you've been dealt move over to the craps table.

Cause if you're just going to sit there and cry into your cornflakes, well lets just say that if I had an extra ticket and was looking to make a life changing e-playa act of kindness (which happens quite a few times look it up) I would rather offer my ticket to Dick Cheney than you at this point. Sounds like he'd be more fun.

And Somehow I think you got told.

Uh, I Am prolly not going to make it to burn, there were alot of factors I screwed up on and being without a ticket wasn't one of them, the other years things worked out, and tickets became available, And I whent. This year is looking alot diffrent. but my bags are packed, my ride secured, now the hard part, letting go.
It took me 6 years to finaly make it to the playa, but I made it. it might be 6 more years till I can make it back, but I'd rather hit myself in the jimmy with a rebar steak....
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Burner scalpers should loose their tickets

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 pm

I think it's time to stick a fork in this thread and call it done.

If you want to join in one of the discussions regarding scalping or how things should happen in the future over in the politics and philosophy board (or start a new discussion), go right on ahead.

hyperspacetraveler and urpleeeple, I can appreciate that you've both recently arrived, and are outraged to find that face value tickets aren't here waiting for you, and that not everybody on the boards agrees with your opinions and suggestions, but that does not change either the laws governing the event or the policies of this site. If you have a problem with the site's policy on the matter, you're welcome to leave the site and focus your ticket search elsewhere.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10628
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society


Return to 2011 Tickets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests