Any other theme camp organizers tired of burningman spam?

Any other theme camp organizers tired of burningman spam?

Postby alt12 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Seems like my mailbox is inundated these days with various people, organizations, and even theme camps offering to sell me something burning man related. Anyone else tired of getting these unsolicited marketing emails? I mean that is what they are and yet the senders refuse to acknowledge this. They act like they are doing me a favor for filling up my inbox with their garbage offers.

I mean it sucks enough to deal with regular SPAM but I find it particularly irritating that it is done a) in the context of the every-year-less-non-commerical burningman and b) the harvesting of theme camp organizers email addresses from the burningman.com website. It wasn't long ago that selling commercial services on playa was frowned upon. Now everyone just shrugs as people trip over themselves figuring out ways to profit off the burningman consumption bonanza.

The worst part about it is that I censor myself because I am represneting a larger organization. Ordinarily I would respond with "FUCK OFF". But because I'm representing a theme camp I have to play nice and say "please don't send me these unsolicited commercial marketing emails anymore."

Last week the peen funnel person emailed me and all theme camp organizers to "let me know" that her friend was selling food to people who didn't want to cook on playa. How nice of her to offer her friend's commercial cooking service so that my lazy ass doesn't have to have to be self-reliant. And, as she stressed repeatedly, "its organic."

Now the latest slick marketing email. Notice the "prices go up on August 22nd" and the "MSR $550" What a deal!!"

"Greetings,

We’re starting a new service, and a theme camp, called “Playa Bike Transport.”

We’re offering:

Bikes for Sale! ‘Trek 7200’ Hybrid Bike $175 (MSRP $550) Advance sales only.
• We’re buying bikes “as a collective,” on behalf of individuals (and whole camps!)
• You pay us; we pay the vendor and the bike is yours! You own it! Not a rental!

Bike transport from San Francisco to Burning Man!
• $50 per bike round-trip. Open to everyone!

“The Bike Lounge” at 9:00 and Plaza!
• Bar, mist, music, piano, shade, and tools. Open to everyone.

We’re looking for members! Join us!
• 30-person maximum. $100 per person.

Hurry! Prices increase August 22!"
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Re: Any other theme camp organizers tired of burningman spam

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Sadly, I think it's inevitable. As the burn grows, more people are going to offer more services.

But, of course, my email isn't out and public for people to harvest for these lists. And really, for many, probably most, theme camps not having some sort of contact info isn't a very good option.

So, yeah, I'm tired of it on the board, I'm tired of it on the sidewalks in and near San Francisco, but I don't know how to stop begging.

*vague hand-gesture of solidarity*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jojofroyo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 pm

I just got that email! they are very stupid and annoying.
I transport bikes of the people in my camp to the playa for vodka for our vodka happy hour.
It is just that easy to find a way to get a bike out there, just ask someone and offer something they cant refuse!
I would never pay or recommend anyone to pay for that. there will always be someone willing to help!
those people are ass monkeys
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby HandJamMasterC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't get any Burning Man spam. Not even in my spam filter. I wonder why ( and what list you got on and how you got on it ) ??
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby The CO » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:43 am

Mostly I've been getting camp promotions & kickstarter links.
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby jojofroyo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

HandJamMasterC wrote:I don't get any Burning Man spam. Not even in my spam filter. I wonder why ( and what list you got on and how you got on it ) ??

You must just not be cool enough! haha
No, I think they got all the emails off the BM theme camp website.
Maybe they are just scared of Camp D.O.A.!

Meh, I dont really mind anymore, every email I get about Burning Man is just getting me more and more excited to go!
8 days till I leave!!!!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I do get a few Kickstarter requests, and emails from groups we support like Feed the Artists. I don't mind those, since I try and support art projects if I can. But nobody trying to sell me food ! :shock:
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby alt12 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:I do get a few Kickstarter requests, and emails from groups we support like Feed the Artists. I don't mind those, since I try and support art projects if I can. But nobody trying to sell me food ! :shock:

Yeah I'm not talking about Feed the Artists or Kickstarter campaigns. They're not out to profit. They're just trying to get help. For me its when it crosses the line into "hey come buy my stuff/service/product" that I get bothered. Plus, technically, that is SPAM. It is a commercial solicitation for business purposes to people that they have no prior business relationship with. Just irritating. Maybe I will start telling the consumption peddlers to fuck off. I mean I do to every other kind of marketer that calls or emails me out of the blue.
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey now, be polite! I usually tell telemarketers " sorry, I'm right in the middle of dinner, but thanks for calling ", and then hang up.

Even if it's 11am................. :lol: 8)
CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:24 pm

By unsolicited, you must mean that list you signed up for when putting your email address on as a theme camp contact? ;)

The last week or so has gotten a bit heavy with camps all posting about their playa activities, but as a camp coordinator on my end, that was something our placer warned us about beforehand, and I believe there was a way to opt out. I don't really have time to read all the posts right now, but I don't mind getting them.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 pm

If your email address is posted on the list of registered theme camps, that could also be the culprit. Silly me had included my addy on the original registration form, and I found myself getting a number of non-camp-specific emails. Once I sent in the request to take my name off the list (which is published on the burningman.com site), those emails stopped.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:33 pm

THe problem with that is that it doesn't allow people who are interested in joining your camp, or otherwise communicating with you know how to get hold of you.
I realize that it comes down to how you recruit and 38 other personal preferences, but it's something camp contacts might want to consider.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby veleda » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:24 am

I also find it annoying as it makes me nervous about the futur of the burn..but since I'm one of those old grizzlies i like to worry.

What part of non-commercial is not understood?

I would much rather see a single page on the BM website where people can post all their kickstarters, etc. And a page for whateer services are being offerred.

If someoen spams the theme camp contact list their accounts should be removed.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 am

I'd suggest putting a link to a camp web page, where information about joining could be posted.

I've had the same email address available on our camp's site (publicly posted, for all inquiries), once my email address came off the BM camp list the spam disappeared.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2011 Theme Camps