Food Service Permit for Bar and Alcohol

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Food Service Permit for Bar and Alcohol

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 am

OK, I know this question has been asked and answered here, but I have searched "Permit Alcohol" "Food Service Permit Alcohol" "Health Department" "Health Department Bar" "Health Department Alcohol" and a host of others and couldn't find the answer. So maybe this post will be easier for someone to find in the future that has the same question.

Is a Food Service Permit required to server alcohol?

It turns out a group in our camp wants to have a public bar and I want to be sure on the requirement. I "thought" that I read somewhere that it was not required; but since I can't find the source, I'm asking again.

Thanks
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Food Service Permit for Bar and Alcohol

Postby ConnieH » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 am

Found this on the Burning Man website:

"Gifting food or fresh juices to the public, requires a permit from the Nevada State Health Division. Any kitchen serving 125 or more persons at a time, whether public OR private, requires a health permit. Go to http://health.nv.gov/BFHS_EHS.htm, and scroll down to the flame icon for specific "Temporary Food Information for Burning Man". You don't need a permit for bar ice, but your ice must come from a commercial source approved by the Health Division, like local stores or our own ice sales."

Doesn't exactly answer the question if a permit is required for a bar, but if you aren't serving fresh juice I don't think you need one. We never get one.
ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 am

Here's the full scoop:

• NSHD does NOT require permits of, or regulate vendors who wish to share, prepare, or serve the following items only:
• o Alcoholic beverages
• o Foods that are commercially pre-packaged, individually packaged/packaged by serving and non-temperature sensitive, each of these criteria must be met. These foods include candy, bags of chips or pretzels, cans of soda, bottled water, whole and unbreached apples & oranges, etc.

Needs a Permit:
• Ice cream bars and milk boxes because the food is temperature sensitive
• Jerky meat and cookies that are not individually wrapped because you will be handling the food
• Cut melon, slices of apple, grapes because there is food handling involved and once cut these foods must be kept cold
• Juice, if big gallons are bought and poured because there is food handling and once opened the juice is temperature sensitive and must be kept cold
• Tea and coffee if you are including dairy milk as a part of the service.
ConnieH

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 am

Would a permit be required to open a salvia den?
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 pm

ok so I will bring whole key limes for people who want to bite a lime wedge after a shot. They can have the whole damn thing, of course I will have a bucket for the waste. :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks! So to clarify, alcoholic beverages do not require a permit. What about if you are serving drinks like a bloody Mary or screw drivers? Would that count as juice?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 am

I think based on Connie's descriptors above, if the juice used for these beverages were sealed single servings, like a can of V-8 or a boxed juice, a permit would not be required. But if it's a 64 oz Ocean Spray being used for 8 servings or a bottle of Bloody Mary mix that says "Refrigerate after opening" I think the Health Dept might be interested (if serving to the public as opposed to small, personal groups) because the juice might be open for a few hours, and so would need to be kept at a specific temperature.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Food & Drink