Disability Access

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Disability Access

Postby xxweaponx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 am

I broke my ankle, tore my achilles and a bunch of other damage last week.

I don't want to not go to BRC. Is there anyone on the playa that provides Taxi service for disabled folks? Am I ridiculous for thinking this may exist. I've never noticed it before, but...I can hope. Please advise.
xxweaponx

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: The Liver's End

Re: Disability Access

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 am

No taxi service, but you should check out mobility camp. They won't cart you around, but may be able to make your burn a bit better.

http://brimstoneaws.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=41106
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 am

Some people do, apparently, but I didn't run into them in 08 or 09. Unless you mean Powerchair camp. It's in center camp and they may be able to hook you up with a rig to run around in for a few hours. I'm guessing that if you are in a cast and crutches, some art cars will stop for you. You're likely to have to go to wherever they are going, not to make them become your personal errand boys for the duration.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby xxweaponx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:00 am

Definitely not trying to make people my slaves, but I also am concerned with how I can get to places I want to go, namely Opulent Temple, Root Society, and Bass Camp. I've never seen Power Chair Camp before, that's so great to know.
xxweaponx

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 am

Depending on art cars for transport puts you at their mercy as to destination and schedule. You may find yourself making lemonade out of the lemons of being in a small area or out of going to places that you never would have been if the art car people hadn't been setting out on a tour of the deep playa art pieces. I think it's possible to enjoy burningman from that vantage, but you may have to remind yourself that sometimes you don't get what you want, but get a rock and roll cliche instead.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm a big proponent to the Mobility Camp, and you should contact them as soon as possible to see if they can meet your expectations. And I think the organizer is in the Bay Area. A cast on the playa sounds like not a lot of fun. Maybe this is the year to sell that ticket and start planning for 2012?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby xxweaponx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I'm a big proponent to the Mobility Camp, and you should contact them as soon as possible to see if they can meet your expectations. And I think the organizer is in the Bay Area. A cast on the playa sounds like not a lot of fun. Maybe this is the year to sell that ticket and start planning for 2012?

I don't know. This is what I look forward to all year, I don't know If I can deal with not going. I don't want that. I don't want to let our camp down by not going and bringing supplies we need either.

In the mean time, anyone know how to reach Mobility Camp?

MOD NOTE - You disabled BBC code, so your quotes didnt work right. I turned the function off or on - depending on how you look at it.
MDMF
xxweaponx

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 pm

go to main website (burningman.com)
Press "theme camps" link
press the link to the list of this year's theme camps
select "B" for Black Rock City Department of Mobility
use email there
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I'd say go old fashioned.

Get a wipe board and a few extra markers, hitch a ride to Esplanade and write "Opulent Temple/whatever" on your wipe board and stick your thumb out, smile, (maybe) wave a beer around. People will spot you and your gimpness, and perhaps offer you a ride just out of the spirit of the event.

I hate "The playa Provides" because it implies that people don't need to take care of themselves, but, uhm, well. This might be one of those times you'd have to put yourself at it's mercy. You might have a better time going with the wind.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Igneouss » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Traveling around BM randomly is way fun. Buy into it. Hitch rides. Find a campsite closer to a main road or the Esplanade. Have rational expectations and life will be great! I'll help out if I see you.

Cheers
Igneouss
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Do you have a chair? A mate of mine tore his achilles just weeks before BM started. We brought a chair and he was able to get around, albeit slowly. Complete strangers would grab his handles and push in whatever direction he was going until they departed - happened more often that not. He kept a 12 pack in a cooler to give out as thanks...

good luck,
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby xxweaponx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:49 pm

[quote="mdmf007"]Do you have a chair? A mate of mine tore his achilles just weeks before BM started. We brought a chair and he was able to get around, albeit slowly. Complete strangers would grab his handles and push in whatever direction he was going until they departed - happened more often that not. He kept a 12 pack in a cooler to give out as thanks...

good luck,[/quote]
That sounds like a great idea.
xxweaponx

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Complete strangers would grab his handles and push in whatever direction he was going until they departed

Oh, I hate those. They thing they know more about where I want to go than I do, and practically hijack me.

Might be okay if it were temporary, but nothing is going to change soon.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know how much spare cash you have, but you could buy a manual chair and then donate it to the department of mobility at the end of the event (if they have room to pack it out). Thye're about $200, and the small wheeled transport chairs are $150. You won't find a used one easily, at least, I've not been able to.
Or keep it for use when you get back home, then donate it elsewhere when you've healed.

I have a playafied old beater chair, but I'm reluctant to lend it out.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Igneouss » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
mdmf007 wrote:Complete strangers would grab his handles and push in whatever direction he was going until they departed

Oh, I hate those. They thing they know more about where I want to go than I do, and practically hijack me.

Might be okay if it were temporary, but nothing is going to change soon.

What's the appropriate etiquette here? Should we ask first? "hey, I'm headed that way, would you like a push" something like that?
Annoying you on ePlaya is fun. Annoying you on the Playa wouldn't be...
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 am

The proper ettiquette might be to match your pace to mine...

There really is no "one size fits all" answer. asking is probably fairly safe, listening when the person says no (if that's what happens.) But really, in what circumstances would you grab someone with legs and push him/her 20 feet?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby xxweaponx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:51 am

[quote="AntiM"]I don't know how much spare cash you have, but you could buy a manual chair and then donate it to the department of mobility at the end of the event (if they have room to pack it out). Thye're about $200, and the small wheeled transport chairs are $150. You won't find a used one easily, at least, I've not been able to.
Or keep it for use when you get back home, then donate it elsewhere when you've healed.

I have a playafied old beater chair, but I'm reluctant to lend it out.[/quote]
If you would consider lending it, my camp is The Liver's End Bar. You could drop it off and pick it up there. And hang out if you'd like. I could also pick it up in the East Bay, as it seems you are in Oakland. Lending it would be awesome, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to. Happy to provide some collateral until you get it back. Our plan is to go from Weds to Sunday early am. Then head back to the Bay. If this is something that could work for you, let me know. I am also heavily thinking about sitting this year out, much to my, and my wife's, dismay.
Last edited by xxweaponx on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxweaponx

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

Give Urban Ore a call. I've seen them there multiple times. Maybe you could put something in Craigs List offering to rent or buy. Call Sutter and ask what they do with old chairs. I rented one from a company in Danville, maybe, for a year. They also rented me a bed. Try googling "medical equipment rental" or something of the sort.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby xxweaponx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Give Urban Ore a call. I've seen them there multiple times. Maybe you could put something in Craigs List offering to rent or buy. Call Sutter and ask what they do with old chairs. I rented one from a company in Danville, maybe, for a year. They also rented me a bed. Try googling "medical equipment rental" or something of the sort.[/quote]
Great ideas, thank you.
xxweaponx

Return to Transportation