Need help! Playa staples from Iron Monkeys sufficient?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Need help! Playa staples from Iron Monkeys sufficient?

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 am

Hello all. This ones a boggy for me.

Anyone have any experience with the playa staples made from iron monkeys??
Here is a link so you can see: http://www.theblacksmithshop.com/playastaples.html

Im a virgin andI bought these a little hastily perhaps. I spent some decent change for 15 of the small ones as the web site says they are playa tested and approved and go well for use on carports. I bought them for my carport and hexayurt but after testing in the back yard I'm a little nervous. I don't know if the playa is the same as the hard pack in my backyard but if it is it didn't seem ultra secure, especially to upwards force.

Any who I was going to use playa staples for x guy lining internally the car port and on the 5 points on the hexayurt. Using t post or rebar to splint the legs of the carport btw so guy lines are to keep the roof down and stabilization.

I should have got the large dur.........then I wouldn't be worried. But do you think the little ones are okay?

And I don't want to hear I shoulda just bent rebar......I figured I can afford it and it was going to a nice BM group who does art on the playa.

I'm even considering just calling and asking.

Anyone got input? Ty.

Gabe
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Re: Need help! Playa staples from Iron Monkeys sufficient?

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 am

If u look on the link you see it says carports for the small. They said it is playa tested and approved. /shrug . As of now I'm gonna end up bringing rebar anyways which is what I bought the playa staples for so I wouldn't have to! Hehe

This link is better btw, it's the store link.

http://ironmonkeys.org/Store/Playa+Staples/default.aspx
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:33 am

Never used them, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work for any small to medium sized tent or awning if pounded in flush with the ground surface.

And you're supposed to bring extra stakes and cord.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Frostbite » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 am

I bought playa staples to use with my hexayurt last year. They worked great! I pounded them in flush with the playa surface, so there was nothing to trip over, then used red (high vis) ratchet straps to the tie down points of the hexayurt. It was basically re-use of the ratchet straps that held it to the roof of my car. The playa staples did not budge all week, and were a little bit of a pain to get out. A tip: make a small loop of paracord to go onto the playa staple, and leave that sticking out the top when you pound it in. Use a crow bar in this loop to pull it out.

I will definitely be using playa staples again this year.
Frostbite

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am

That's 2 confirmations playa staples are great for hexayurts!!! Doesn't look like they will work for the carport however. Looks like I'll use rebar ;) how do you bend rebar? I'd like to candy cane some myself.
Lucidvegas

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 am

Searched how to candy cane rebar. Tons of info ;)
Lucidvegas

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 am

Search me.

Might try asking the Playa Staples people.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby portaplaya » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 pm

When you bend rebar to make a "J" or a "U", you are essentially just making your own playa staple.

I own a full set of playa staples and find them indespensible for staking down my Costco carport. It takes at least six to do this (I use eight). If you feel that the staples won't do the trick, you probably aren't using enough of them.

The playa is crumbly for the first inch or so, and then as firm as most backyard dirt. Your experience at home will closely resemble the playa experience.
portaplaya

Galvanized Anchor Bolts?

Postby Korwedge » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Went to HD today to get a few 12" rebar for stakes, in the same section I saw Galvanized anchor bolts 10" and longer which have a bend in the end. I would like to use these rather than bending rebar or putting tennis balls on top of rebar. Anyone have experience using these in the playa?

Here are the 10" anchor bolts:
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... ogId=10053

I didn't grab the nuts or washers, just the bolts.
Korwedge

Return to Shelter & Camping