Aerial Dancers, Circus People, Handbalancers

Aerial Dancers, Circus People, Handbalancers

Postby Banrion » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am a burningman virgin from SLC coming out for the first time and I was wondering if anyone knows where any of the aerial dancers and handbalancers and circus performers hang out? I am an Aerial Dancer, mainly silks, pole, lyra and I would love to find some people to play with out there.
Thank you
~Banrion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgo2qxU8 ... ideo_title
Banrion

Re: Aerial Dancers, Circus People, Handbalancers

Postby Spark » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Banrion!!!

I'm happy I saw your post! I'm also looking for a place to play while I'm on the Playa. My friend Cary and I are aerial instructors at the Calgary Circus Studio (Canada). This will be my 8th burn and Cary's first. My friends have a geodesic dome I've rigged in before. Its not high-- only about 14 feet. Its enough to treat my friends to a show and get some practice for myself. I believe the dome will be placed at 3&G, but I'm waiting for confirmation (and also confirmation that they aren't rigging up a giant trampoline/hammock in the center).

In past experience I've found many an aerial rig just in my wanderings, always with other aerialists who are looking for people to play with. As a matter of fact, I decided to go professional after randomly hanging with some aerialists from New York in 2004. In 2007 I camped with the Red Nose District and performed there, although I don't know if they will be back.

Cary and I will be camped with BunnySide at B&4. Come say hi. I'm also talking with another aerialist who is looking for a place to play. We can form an aerialist possee and kick ass all together!!!!

If any other aerialists see this post and have a definite rig available, please let me know too!!!

Looking forward to meeting you!!!

-Spark
Spark

Postby happydragon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:34 pm

There will be no shortage of aerial rigs on the playa. My fav last year had to be Nexxus, you could wrap up for a big drop and chill for a bit to enjoy the view of the whole clock face. I will have my rig set up at the Eon outpost, shooting for somewhere around 3 and C ish, stop by and say hi and play.
happydragon

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Banrion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:49 am

Thanks for responding, I am way excited. I am still trying to figure out where I will be camping, but I will come find the street coordinates you are talking about. I am really excited. I don't have a rig but I figured i'd bring some of my toys just incase :-)
Banrion

Postby Minke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm an aerial dancer too, from Quebec, and a Playa virgin, in the same situation as you Banrion! I am looking for a place to perform and to camp! My main discipline is aerial hoop (lyra) and I would be happy to join in on a kick ass aerialist posse!

I would also be ecstatic to contribute and be part of a circus theme camp, if one is still looking for performers!! I have my hoop and all the gears to install a rig point, that I'll be happy to share:
- 90 feet of rope
- 4 x 8 meters slingers
- 2 pulleys
- a swivel
I just need the place too hang it!

Thank you all!

-Amélie
Minke

Postby Banrion » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Hello Ameile'
I hope I can find you there on the playa, are you more a single or double point lyra artist? Hoop is not my specialty but I still enjoy playing, I am primarily a silk and pole artist :-)
Banrion

Postby greenmonk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

hey circus friends - Several Atlanta camps will be at 5 & Esplanade, and tons of us are circus folk. I THINK that Eli is bringing an aerial rig to be set up there near Area 51/Art of SuchNSuch. Come hang!

ALot of the regular west coast circus troupes seem to be on the downlow this year. Vau De Vivre and Cirque Berzerk will have folks on playa I hear, but no set plans to perform. Red Nose District is no more.

However, the Enheigtened Beings of Leisure will be back with their Stilt Bar happy hour at 6 on the esplanade. they are usually near 430/5 oclock and a good place to meet like minded red noses.

Lucent Dossier Experience is performing once or twice too!

any other circus hijinx yall know about?

ps: ya'll are cordially invited to my Camp's dark and stormy rum party on Wed 4-6 pm. Funk Pirates at 5:10 and Anniversary. Lots of the ATlanta Circus community should be in attendance!
greenmonk

Postby Minke » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey Circus friends! hi Banrion!

My lyra is a single point one, but I was in a duo for a while and we used a double point.
However, I haven't take my decision yet, but I'm not sure I will take it to the playa anymore. I'm getting there by plane and it has become a pain in the ass to bring a lyra on a plane!! I found out too late that I could go to BM to be able to arrange another way to bring it there... Also, I assume there will be other lyra artist on the playa with whom I can share tricks and play!

I would really like to meet you too Banrion, I will be staying at Now-camp around 8:30 and D, look for the sign!

I will try to pass by your place Greenmonk and hang my lyra at Eli's, if I finally decide to bring it! Thanks for the invitation!

- Amélie
Minke

Postby happydragon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am

Update for my rig, Looks like my camp is now aiming for 8:15 and E, but whereever Eon Ranch Outpost is to be found there will be rig and play time whenever I am in camp.
happydragon

Postby Lima Beans » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 am

So happy I found this thread! Also is my first Burning Man. Just started aerial a couple of months ago and I am completely obsessed! Was really hoping to get a chance to practice silks while I'm there. It sounds like people are generally pretty cool about sharing their rigs?

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

I'm staying at the "galactic jungle" dome at 450c
Lima Beans

Postby michelletroszak » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:09 pm

michelletroszak

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm

michelletroszak wrote:....

I think we have a winner for best first post on eplaya!

When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Ah, BSG. You make-a me cry.
:lol:
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Return to 2011 Art & Performance