Cell Phone coverage

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Cell Phone coverage

Postby robotland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:19 am

oneeyeddick wrote:If you see someone using a cellphone and it outrages you, you should turn your head the other direction and look at the shirtcocker standing behind you instead.

NOTE TO SELF: Remove Pants Before Using Phone....Embrace ONE tether to the default world, discard ANOTHER. Balance Achieved!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby The CO » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 am

I think anyone that "needs" their cell phone out there is setting themselves up for disappointment. The coverage is not solid enough with that many people trying to use it, an important call (if you can even get it to go through) runs the risk of dropping at any second. If one needs a phone for whatever reason, satphones are are far better choice for reliability. That, or driving out to where there is more solid coverage.

And in regard to the word need, I would ask: Has anyone died or been hospitalized at BRC because they didn't have their phone? 'Cause that's how I define need: will you run the risk of dying without it? People need water, food & shelter.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:33 am

The CO wrote:And in regard to the word need, I would ask: Has anyone died or been hospitalized at BRC because they didn't have their phone? 'Cause that's how I define need: will you run the risk of dying without it? People need water, food & shelter.

Perhaps your list of needs is a little to limited. People have psychological needs in addition to the biological ones, such as being around other people.

There are certainly scenarios where there is a financial need to have contact with the outside world, such as needed to make a call each week in order to maintain unemployment benefits (which keeps money in the bank account so that you can have water, food and shelter when you get home).

On the other hand, anyone calling from Burning Man to their state unemployment offices to submit their weekly claims is almost certainly defrauding the system. How can you really make the legitimate contacts and be "ready to work" when you are at Burning Man. Do you people know that you can go a week without filing a claim, just like going on vacation? (Am I teasing? Yes I am. This is not meant as a serious rebuke.)
portaplaya

Postby The CO » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:16 pm

portaplaya wrote:People have psychological needs in addition to the biological ones, such as being around other people.

No chance of that on the playa...

portaplaya wrote:There are certainly scenarios where there is a financial need to have contact with the outside world, such as needed to make a call each week in order to maintain unemployment benefits (which keeps money in the bank account so that you can have water, food and shelter when you get home).

Yes I get all that. I like having the ability to communicate, I've used it on playa, via text, phone & emails. It's very handy, but again: is someone going to die if the phone doesn't work out there?

IMHO, if ones circumstances are such that they must be able to contact & be contacted by the default world at any second, and given that they are so far away from damn near anything, perhaps they should consider re-prioritizing the burn in relation to their life. Maybe whatever the important call is about is just a bit more important than a camping trip in the desert.

<voice="grizzled old timer">
Why, back in the old days we didn't have any of your fancy wireless technomological thingies, and we got on just fine without them! Gunshots & smoke signals were good enough for us!
</voice>
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 pm

I think you took my example of a psychological need (any need, just an example) as a justification for a cell phone.

How about social needs. Used to be if your girlfriend got pregnant, you "needed" to marry her. In fact, getting married has pretty much been a "need" for people for just about forever, including gay people.
How about a philosophical/ethical need. Apparently trained medical professionals "need" to keep your medical data private.
How about a situational need? You "need" to have your vehicle searched if you want to enter Black Rock City.

While your core point is that no one ever died from lack of a cell phone (except from those that did, like people unable to call emergency services, people that did not get text messages about troops about to storm a protest in Syria, etc.). This core point is restricting the word "need" in a semantic manner, as if the other common uses of need are not also a legitimate use of this versatile English word. I don't think that any of the above posters literally meant that the cellphone was needed to live; but that it was needed for other requirements in their life (social, financial, whatever). That you do not find these uses to fall under your extreme view of "need' does not mean that it fails to fall within their definition of the word "need".

But in another sense, I look at your statement that phones do not keep you alive and I say "so what?", we already knew that. These people still need their phone.
Last edited by portaplaya on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portaplaya

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Yup, it is a humble opinion...more like feeble; but you are certainly entitled to it.
The CO wrote:
IMHO, if ones circumstances are such that they must be able to contact & be contacted by the default world at any second, and given that they are so far away from damn near anything, perhaps they should consider re-prioritizing the burn in relation to their life. Maybe whatever the important call is about is just a bit more important than a camping trip in the desert.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:26 pm

robotland wrote:
NOTE TO SELF: Remove Pants Before Using Phone....Embrace ONE tether to the default world, discard ANOTHER. Balance Achieved!

+1
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby The CO » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Portaplaya, I understand what you're saying with regard to social/philosophical/etc needs. Yes, I am arguing semantics over the word need, but it's a fault I freely admit: I'm an old-fashioned purist for language. I despise it when a word becomes devalued by inaccurate use. Oh well, life's rough, I have a helmet.

But I'm also making this case strictly in regard to Black Rock City, not broader generalizations. If you have or witness a life-threatening injury on the playa, are you going to try and get signal on your phone to call 911, or are you going to look for a ranger or someone with a radio to call EMS? I think it's foolish to carry an object (cell phone) that has a 5-20% chance of being able to function for its main purpose (communication) any given moment. Exposing it to the harsh conditions out there, and risking loss, seems to be a silly way to create unnecessary stress, so that maybe-if-needed-it-might-work-you-hope.

But hey, if the other 49,999 other people all had their phone with them at all times, it's not going to affect what time I have pancakes, or take away from my fun in BRC in the slightest. Unless they're in my camp complaining about their phone being broken or lost.

Kisha, what is it about other peoples opinions about phones that upsets you so much? Relax man. It's just the internet.
The CO

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't think my reply to any cell post was greater in degree than the opposing post I was addressing. In fact, I believe I actually used the exact same words.
And it's not just cell phones. It's anything that anybody tries to imply is "not in the spirit of Burning Man".
As I have met, know and like, or will meet and get to know everyone that posts here and comes to the M&G, this is not "just the internet". :wink:

The CO wrote:
Kisha, what is it about other peoples opinions about phones that upsets you so much? Relax man. It's just the internet.
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Hm. Right now I'm in the get out of the teapot and do some burningman prep camp.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Obviously this is where we all go to take a relief piss on each others heads.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Raymaker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

Picture caption from Burning Man blog
"The tech team has put up towers at various points around Black Rock City, and they've lined up the satellite dishes so they can bring internet to the desert. There are wifi "clouds" at the Depot and the Commissary and around the "Noc," where the tech team is centered. It's an amazing achievement. And it let's us share what's going on."

http://blog.burningman.com/2011/08/building-brc/wondering-what-camera-to-bring-just-bring-your-phone/
Raymaker

Postby portaplaya » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am

Raymaker wrote:Picture caption from Burning Man blog
"The tech team has put up towers at various points around Black Rock City, and they've lined up the satellite dishes so they can bring internet to the desert. There are wifi "clouds" at the Depot and the Commissary and around the "Noc," where the tech team is centered. It's an amazing achievement. And it let's us share what's going on."

http://blog.burningman.com/2011/08/building-brc/wondering-what-camera-to-bring-just-bring-your-phone/

I think we can agree that the event organizers "need" communication with the outside world or people might be without food, water, shelter and quick medical care. People might die without this need being met.
portaplaya

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

You don't "need" your tutu or whatever you're wearing there. Nobody's going to die if you dress "normal" on the playa.
It's a choice.
And it's a choice to bring a cell phone and try to stay in touch. It's against my burner principles to say "leave it at home".

Just don't expect to get a signal. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Raymaker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:48 am

portaplaya wrote:I think we can agree that the event organizers "need" communication with the outside world or people might be without food, water, shelter and quick medical care. People might die without this need being met.

yes that was just a public service message on my part, so you don't think the wifi connection will be available to everyone?
Raymaker

Postby portaplaya » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

No. I think it is for running the event.

They do set up public wi-fi at the Cafe and Media Mecca. These tend to be problematic because of excessive use.
portaplaya

Postby The CO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 pm

portaplaya wrote:I think we can agree that the event organizers "need" communication with the outside world or people might be without food, water, shelter and quick medical care. People might die without this need being met.

Who was arguing against management being able to communicate? My gripe is individuals that use need to describe want.

On the semantics side of things, I would say that effective communication for the staff is needed or required for efficient operation.
The CO

Postby jkisha » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:You don't "need" your tutu or whatever you're wearing there. Nobody's going to die if you dress "normal" on the playa.
It's a choice.
And it's a choice to bring a cell phone and try to stay in touch. It's against my burner principles to say "leave it at home".

Just don't expect to get a signal. :)

+ 1
JK
jkisha

Postby essjay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I have Sprint, so my phone won't work on the playa and I LOVE that. It is great to have a week away from it and that is how I like to burn. I like to leave defaultia as much as possible.

That said, I needed to use email a few years ago at a previous burn, and was grateful that I was able to do it (as difficult as it was to get a signal near center camp) when it was necessary for me. So, I agree with jkisha on this because I don't think it is anyone's right to tell a person how to burn, so long as the activity in question doesn't affect others. I don't like cell phones out there, but if you need to use one, it doesn't really mess with my burn.
essjay

Postby jkisha » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Exactly. If I had the choice of either not going to the burn because I would be out of contact, or being able to go to the burn because I am able to connect to the outside world, the choice for me is a no brainer. It's my choice, my life, and how I prioritize it is nobody else's business. I don't wear costumes on the playa either! Doesn't mean I'm not doing it "right". :shock:
JK
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm

jkisha wrote:Exactly. If I had the choice of either not going to the burn because I would be out of contact, or being able to go to the burn because I am able to connect to the outside world, the choice for me is a no brainer. It's my choice, my life, and how I prioritize it is nobody else's business. I don't wear costumes on the playa either! Doesn't mean I'm not doing it "right". :shock:

+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 pm

If anyone needs to make a call, come by and see me, I have coverage all the time.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby burningphonecmp » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

We should have a few open phone stations for people to make calls to US numbers. Depending on how overloaded the service gets. Burning Phone Camp 4:30 plaza. Bring something cold :mrgreen:
burningphonecmp

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 pm

just got a call from the playa. clear. Verizon.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sail Man » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Foxfur wrote:If I see someone using drugs at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone wearing normal clothes at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone showering at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking bottled water of soft drinks at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking a hydration beverage that is not the exact same as mine at the event I will put my cock down their throat.

mpaleneirtnm! ,erienjremsdok!! gajskeosmk?

:mrgreen:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Igneouss » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Funny part of this debate for me is the highly selective attitude toward technology. If it's green, solar technology it gets kudos. If it's a cell phone it's baaadddd. Couple this with the significant over representation of high tech workers at BM... Strange.

I'll bet the woman that claims that cell phones are evil drives to BM in a Prius.

I'll bet she thinks EL wire is really cool and has some solar halogen patio lights in her camp.

I'll bet she uses a digital camera.

Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Do they have rechargable or better yet solar vibrators yet?
oneeyeddick

Postby The CO » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:30 am

Igneouss wrote:I'll bet the woman that claims that cell phones are evil drives to BM in a Prius.

No one, male or female, has said in this thread that phones are evil.

Additionally, no one has said that cell phones ruin the burn, or are un-burner, or that if you use a cell phone you're doing it wrong, or really anything to that effect.

Don't assign statements or opinions to others.
The CO

Postby Raymaker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:43 am

phones are evil :twisted:
Raymaker

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 am

I will generally agree with that.

And so are computers, vending machines, and my printer.
oneeyeddick

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks