Look at all the STUFF I am packing.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Look at all the STUFF I am packing.

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 pm

So.. hi again.

I am posting this as a service to all of those people out there who wonder if they are bringing "too much"... have I brought too much? that is up for you to decide..

some of you out there may be new to burning man and are unsure what to bring..

This is what I bring.. I have been to the playa bunches of times and aside from a few years bringing too many clothes I use all of the stuff I bring...the list has been honed down over the years and at this point this seems to be a sort of minimum for me..When I am on the playa I do more work type stuff than costumey dancy type of stuff, that might change what some people bring..

So here it is.. when its all sealed up its 2 bags, one 40 pounds one 25 pounds.. youve got a ticket to give you size reference!

This bag qualifies for a 'carryon' size for an airplane

tent, tent poles, sleeping bag, blanket, sleeping pad, rug, melodica, towel, stakes, light stand/tripod, extra shoes, solarpowered drink bottle, cooler filled with burner stuff

all the stuff from the cooler: bag of toiletries(wet wipes, earplugs, lotion, sunblock..etc), bag of electronics (am/fm radio, set of headphones, alarm clock, phone charger.etc), batteries, umbrella, camp stove, fuel and pan, cutlery, dinnerplate, two bowls, 3 kinds of tape, superglue, floral wire, extra carabiners, two headlamps, work gloves, 2 head coverings, bandana for dust, water spray bottle, multitool, 3 water containers, goggles, notebook.. small fold up backpack

cameras, notepad, flash, 24 rolls of film, charger, extra batteries and flash extension cord, body cap.

and for the best part, when you get to see my underpants.. I bring two hoodies, 2 thick pairs of pants, 10+ socks, 3 longsleeve shirts, one tshirt.. 6 boxers.. 2 'pajama' pants..

the key to all of this is: bring lotsa socks and a big bottle of lotion.

well yeah there ya go ive exposed my huge amounts of stuff i bring.....

what about you!?
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Look at all the STUFF I am packing.

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:01 am

You forgot your djembe. Theres gonna be a killer drum circle at the trash fence..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

heh..

i think that i will leave the drums to the drum circle people ;-)

and besides.. trash fence? way too far out for me man.
lemur

Postby jella » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 am

I took a funny pic last year costumes all sorted and in lttle bags layed out on the bed..it look like i was running away to the circus :D .
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:41 am

jella wrote:.... all sorted and in lttle bags layed out on the bed..it look like i was running away to the circus :D .

you dont realize how deep the madness has become until youre sorting all your stuff in little bags and laying them out...
lemur

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 am

No food or water?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jella » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:47 am

Oh how I know it....that's when I discover I have 5 different styles of black fishnets :oops: Thank goodness I don't fly !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:02 am

trilobyte wrote:No food or water?

yeah yer right i dont have that..

thankfully the water wars have not begun and i dont need to bring water a few thousand miles..

alas..i can assure you that i am not superhuman, i do consume both food and water at burning man..

i run a big kitchen (200+ppls) on the playa which tends to keep one good meal in me a day..being in there most of the day means i dont usually go to my tent for water.. but i still bring a small amount of water/beverages and groceries (it is why i bring the cooler)

i think like most people out there:

i bring way too much food every year. (even though i know everyone tends to eat less on the playa than their norm)
and i drink at least 1 gallon of water a day..
lemur

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 am

We just bought a bigger trailer:

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Cooky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 am

I am amazed and impressed by the compact-ness of your packing. Beautiful! I also want to say "floral wire" is just genius, small to pack, strong and multi use. I'm checking my own list and seeing what could be replaced by floral wire.
Cooky

Postby The CO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 am

Lemur, I'm jealous. Everything you have there could fit in the space my kitchen takes up...

Mind you, I haul & store 80% of the infrastructure for M*A*S*H.

I've been paring down my personal gear of late.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Sail Man » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm

I seriously doubt I could get my camper packed into those 2 bags. 8)

Always impressed with those who can do it on such a minimalist scale. Helps if your part of a camp like you are. Very amazed at those who aren't.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Eddie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:40 am

lemur wrote:the key to all of this is: bring lotsa socks and a big bottle of lotion.

Someone told me there were girls at BM....... :mrgreen:

Anyway, great job, I carry just about the same amount of stuff for motorcycle trips, but far less clothing. I've been able to stay self sufficient for 6 months at a time on the road, but then again I always have access to food and water.

Always curious what another gear whore is using. Mind giving us a breakdown of make and model for your camping gear? Tent, sleeping bag, e.t.c. The pad you're using looks to be a prolite. Blanket and rug must be pretty thin and lightweight, what are you using? I was thinking of picking up a cheap wool army blanket, those can be picked up at any army navy store or through sportsman's guide for around $10 or less. A 4 pack is $32 from sportsman's guide.

Whats a solar powered drink bottle? Light up? Does it make for a decent lantern in the tent?

By the way, if your soft cooler ever gives up the ghost or you just want to upgrade take a look at polarbearcoolers.com Guaranteed to keep ice solid for 24hrs in 100 degree heat.
Eddie

Postby deutlich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 am

Eh, I'm a girl and I tend to pack like this wherever I go. I avoid wrinkly shit and bring stuff I can pair with several outfits.

With that said, I will likely overpack on my first burn. I'm pretty sure I'll need to ship some stuff ahead. Although, anything food related I wouldn't want to fly or ship from DC, so I'd be making a hefty grocery run once in Reno.

I will definitely be referencing these photos when it comes time to pack.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 am

It seems our rule of thumb is that if we can't fit it in one 20' box truck, it stays home.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby phil » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:34 am

jkisha wrote:It seems our rule of thumb is that if we can't fit it in one 20' box truck, we get a bigger truck.

FTFY.
phil

Postby Milayna » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm

wowww.....I'm impressed....and here I am worrying that my vehicle is just a small sedan :shock:

I think the genius here is the way you packed everything inside of something else, I must make sure to use that logic when I pack next year!
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby maryanimal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:14 pm

deutlich wrote:Eh, I'm a girl and I tend to pack like this wherever I go. I avoid wrinkly shit and bring stuff I can pair with several outfits.

With that said, I will likely overpack on my first burn. I'm pretty sure I'll need to ship some stuff ahead. Although, anything food related I wouldn't want to fly or ship from DC, so I'd be making a hefty grocery run once in Reno.

I will definitely be referencing these photos when it comes time to pack.

I brought waaaaay too many clothes deutlich. Next year, 3 pair of shorts, panties, 2 pair of socks for every day I'm there, 4 tank tops, 3 sports bras, maybe 2 sarongs, 3 long sleeved cotton shirts, 2 pair of jammies, 2 tutus (1 for gifting), silk bandanas (best for flying dust and a couple for gifting). I'm not sure about costumes yet. Oh and 2 pairs of good protective and supportive shoes. I wore sandals of few times and got a small case of playa foot.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby maryanimal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Milayna wrote:wowww.....I'm impressed....and here I am worrying that my vehicle is just a small sedan :shock:

I think the genius here is the way you packed everything inside of something else, I must make sure to use that logic when I pack next year!

I have a small sedan too. I folded the back seat down and brought a 12'x10' tent, 4'6" x 6' rug, a 10'x10' green turf rug, a thin door mat, a 5' sturdy folding table, a box of tent stuff (stakes, coffee pot, air mattress pump,spices,coffee,plates, flateware, etc.) air mattress, way too many clothes, 2 flats of bottled water, a Camp chef stove/oven, 4 bottles of propane, a 2 burner camp stove, a 10'x10' shade canopy, a folding chair, a small duffle with cooking utensils, small tool box, food, a 54 oz cooler, sleeping bag, pillow, extra blanket, sheets, 3 towels, 2 wash cloths, a satchel with bathing, mouth care, hair care etc., And I drive a 2000 Saturn SL. It was a tetris type of packing. but it all fit! I was kind of proud of myself!

But I won't be bring some of this stuff next year! You'll be surprised what will fit in your sedan! A lot of stuff came in their own duffle bag, like the tent, the folding chair, the shade canopy.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm still amazed that my second trip was accomplished in a sedan--with two girls. I don't know how we fit everything in there.

We didn't have a shower, cot, shade structure or stove, maybe that was how.

We also made the last leg of our trip down Jungo Road at night, though . . . so, we managed a lot of strange things. :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks