So? What art projects are you waiting for with baited breath

So? What art projects are you waiting for with baited breath

Postby toaster » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 am

I remember in 2010 that I had my eye on certain projects and blew off one, but when I got out there and saw some of these I was blown freaking away. I was so inspired and excited. The one I blew off... turned out to be one of the best out there. WOWZER!!!

This year I have been watching The Pier and 1 Mile Clock.

I have to say the CORE effigy project has been exciting to see come together.
toaster

Postby delle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 am

My coup de coeur is definitely the Bureau of Unclaimed Secrets.

I just fell in love with the concept from its first mention, and feel completely drawn to participate in it.

And am pleased as punch to have learned that even tho the fundraising didn't work out, Havoc still managed to make it happen.

Very much looking forward to that.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 am

Smaller the better. My favorite last year was Tiny Tropolis, though I have no idea why it needed funding.

The term is 'bated' breath, btw, unless you're talking about harvesting the wild brine shrimp for luncheon spread.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 am

It's related to "abate" a word so common...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 am

I'm looking forward to 1-mile-clock, but sometimes the exhibits you thought would be the ones you'd check out are the ones you neglect to even see. I found that with the ant tunnel jungle gym last year, which seemed as one of the most prominent art exhibits on the playa, but which I didn't even manage to visit.

That light tube people stood inside while it spun was one that I ended up remembering quite a bit, and probably the perfect example of what BMOrg will fund with a high probability.

On another note:

A good way to remember "bated" breath is to think of "masturbated" breath. Mmm...
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am

Bob wrote:Smaller the better. My favorite last year was Tiny Tropolis, though I have no idea why it needed funding.

The term is 'bated' breath, btw, unless you're talking about harvesting the wild brine shrimp for luncheon spread.

Sally, having swallowed cheese
Directs down holes the scented breeze
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby delle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am

jkisha wrote: Sally, having swallowed cheese

Oh!

Bravo, Sir! Bravo!!!!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby snake » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:18 pm

jellyfish's 'georgie boy'...fully operational. he took it for a test drive at reno's nada dada motel art show...and still has a few kinks to work out. but it looks like it will be mind-blowing.
snake

Postby fbcota » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Temple, Re-Onion, Fountain of Light, CORE,... The Pier :P.
fbcota

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Pier, temple, superconductor, tunnel of ?, Trojan hoarse 4 sure and that one light juggling thing I forgot the name. Oh yea and C.O.R.E.
Ogdenhousedj

Postby jkisha » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm

delle wrote:
jkisha wrote: Sally, having swallowed cheese

Oh!

Bravo, Sir! Bravo!!!!

Don't thank me, thank Google search. :oops:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

What I can't wait to see?

Postby Smooches » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:10 pm

The Temple of Transition--from the looks of things, OMG!

Georgie Boy is also on my list. Jellyfish always amazes me with his sick, twisted mind. I loved working with him being the voice of Fluffer and an MC on the Ein Hammer last year. Let's just say, the boy is twisted and I love him.

Cuddle Ocean--not an art project but more of a performance project. Think about it. LOTS of people gathered on the playa and laying down to just cuddle. Ahhhh.

The Pier is up there too.

But by far, the Temple. I'm still trying to imagine a 12 story tower.
Smooches

Postby Minxy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:51 pm

The Temple, C.O.R.E (all of em but especially Portland woohoo), the Temple, Tunnel of Questionable Enlightenment, Truth and Beauty (if it makes it), the Temple, the PIER (got lots of plans to play with at the Pier), the Superconducter, Tympani Lambada, Walkabout Woods, the Temple, Garden of Monkey Retrospectus, Pillars of the Saints, THE TEMPLE, ReOnion and several art cars. That's all just what I can think of off the top of my head of stuff that's had me excited this year.

I'm DYING to see the French Quarter (and hopefully do some volunteer/participatory baking there). Buncha other camps are on my list, too.

There's already so much I have on my "list" of things to see/do, it would take me about 3 Burning Mans to even do 1/4 of it. :D

The Temple this year is blowing my mind and it's still months away. I just can't WAIT to see this thing.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Georgie Boy
Pier
Temple
Tympani Lambada
There are at least 3 more I'm forgetting the name of at the moment

and of course the one I always seem to discover that really speaks to me, probably my favorite!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Re:

Postby brody » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Minxy wrote:The Temple, C.O.R.E (all of em but especially Portland woohoo), the Temple, Tunnel of Questionable Enlightenment, Truth and Beauty (if it makes it), the Temple, the PIER (got lots of plans to play with at the Pier), the Superconducter, Tympani Lambada, Walkabout Woods, the Temple, Garden of Monkey Retrospectus, Pillars of the Saints, THE TEMPLE, ReOnion and several art cars. That's all just what I can think of off the top of my head of stuff that's had me excited this year.

I'm DYING to see the French Quarter (and hopefully do some volunteer/participatory baking there).

Yep, I'm also REALLY waiting happily to see the French Quarter! They're doing a Jazz Funeral for the Man on Sunday at some point, yay. And Mardi Gras of course. I'm hoping to get to New Orleans this year for Halloween for the first time, so I'm hoping to use this opportunity to meet some New Orleans Burners.

Superconductor and the Pier and Charon and so many other awesome projects as well, yes! It's going to be a great year for art.
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Context.

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 pm

When I imagine experiencing art, I like to place it in a context or day part-- not that it will happen that way for me. For example: The Temple at sunrise, The Pier casting shadows beneath the mountains at sunset, and The Fountain of Light very late at night.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Re: So? What art projects are you waiting for with baited br

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Other than the Temple, I've decided to stop deciding in advance what I want to see. Almost every year the pieces that inspire & thrill me the most are ones I didn't know about or didn't expect (like the Waffle, Homouroboros, or Bliss Dance) and I've been disappointed by ones I've wanted to see (last year both Syzygryd and the Man Farm were big disappointments for me last year, YMMV)

I am curious about certain ones I hear about on here & on facebook, but I'm really trying hard not to look any of the projects up.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AQUARIUSatBRC420 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Truth and Beauty! 'nough said.
If anything's worth doin....it's worth doin right... buy the ticket and take the ride. - RIP HST
AQUARIUSatBRC420

Postby Ace of Kittens » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 am

Hmm... from the Honoraria list, I'm very interested in Face Forward & charon. Georgie Boy and Billion Jelly Bloom sound awesome too.

My campmate is bringing an art installation to the playa for the first time, so I'm also really excited by her project, Metamorph-Us. It's a crocheted Butterfly Garden complete with person-sized chrysalis that you can sit in and reflect / nap / etc. Hopefully people will really dig it.
Ace of Kittens

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

i am waiting for the Lamplighters

when lined up as they are theres over 3 miles worth of dpw built spires that have 700+ lanterns hung on them eevery night by 100+ robed lamplighters in a slow procession..

surely one of the biggest art projects in scale out there...

yeah!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 pm

I am fighting with my damn project. I will be happy when it's hung in the Booby Bar.

Does anyone have a down and dirty source for wood squares?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm

what size?
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 am

2" by 2" or something close to that. I want to be able to put hook-eyes on the backs of my boxes without breaking through to the decorated size...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby toaster » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:14 am

[quote="Eric"]Other than the Temple, I've decided to stop deciding in advance what I want to see. Almost every year the pieces that inspire & thrill me the most are ones I didn't know about or didn't expect (like the Waffle, Homouroboros, or Bliss Dance) and I've been disappointed by ones I've wanted to see (last year both Syzygryd and the Man Farm were big disappointments for me last year, YMMV)

I am curious about certain ones I hear about on here & on facebook, but I'm really trying hard not to look any of the projects up.[/quote]

I am curious why you were disappointed in Syzygryd because it was the one I was looking forward to and loved it in person... not that it did much, but sure looked nice.

On the same note, it was Bliss Dance that was 1000x more amazing than I expected and blew me off my feet.

This year there is so much I am looking forward to. I will spend more time in the art than any year this year. I feel like the Playa is gunna be crowded! I am so looking forward to being surprised and wow'd!
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

toaster wrote:I am curious why you were disappointed in Syzygryd because it was the one I was looking forward to and loved it in person... not that it did much, but sure looked nice.

It was just pretty. That's it. Pretty is a dime a dozen out there, and it wasn't amazingly pretty, just... "oh, that's nice. Meh" pretty. The interactive features were so complex as to be almost useless, it was like monkeys randomly hitting typewriter keys hoping to come up with something.

If you're going to make something interactive, it's got to be something that an "average" participant can figure out in a minute or two- if you're lucky you might get 4 or 5 full minutes to play on something before someone else really wants to try it.

(oh- go to your profile & enable BBCode to get your quotes & such to work right)
BBcode.PNG
BBcode.PNG (22.22 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby illy dilly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

For me two of the ones I'm looking forward to most, besides for the obvious big ones like CORE and this years Temple.
1. Bureau of Uncleamed secrets sounds like a blast. But I haven't seen Havoc on here lately, and have not seen much of an update. I also, last track of their thread.
2. The tunnel of ? Its gonna be mind blowing!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Workinonit » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 am

Eric wrote:
It was just pretty. That's it. Pretty is a dime a dozen out there, and it wasn't amazingly pretty, just... "oh, that's nice. Meh" pretty. The interactive features were so complex as to be almost useless, it was like monkeys randomly hitting typewriter keys hoping to come up with something.

If you're going to make something interactive, it's got to be something that an "average" participant can figure out in a minute or two- if you're lucky you might get 4 or 5 full minutes to play on something before someone else really wants to try it.

I agree about SyzGryd. I thought the piece was amazing visually and constructed really incredibly. However I walked up to those interactivity boards, took one look and walked away. Bunch of buttons with no inkling of what each of them do. That to me is frustrating.

The Tunnel of Questionable Enlightenment interactivity actually morphed over time. Its now like a DJ setup. The first ever that Light Jockey (LJ) booth! Two turn tables, one controlling movement and one controlling color. Two buttons in between, one to change the pattern and one to change the variables of that pattern. Its pretty intuitive. When I had it setup a few weeks ago, little kids got up on it and figured it out in not time without any help. Its gonna be hard to get people to give others a chance... its so addictive.

Now to just get the last 20 arches working... can't wait for Burning Man to rest!

Just a tease of what is to come...
As always...
Workinonit!

Check out my Burning Man 2011 Art Project!
www.tunneloflights.com
www.twitter.com/TToQE
http://kck.st/eDaZyQ
Workinonit

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 am

Honestly - I'm not waiting with bated breath on any of them.

While most of the projects I've looked at / read about seem like they will be awesome, I am trying to go with no expectations.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 am

Drawingablank wrote:While most of the projects I've looked at / read about seem like they will be awesome, I am trying to go with no expectations.

Ha! That attitude will get you nowhere. If that were a good way to burn, the fine folks at center camp would have made it into a slogan or something.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby havoc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

illy dilly wrote:1. Bureau of Uncleamed secrets sounds like a blast. But I haven't seen Havoc on here lately, and have not seen much of an update. I also, last track of their thread.

hey illy dilly, we'll be there...we're on the 3:00 plaza and we're really excited. we'll be part of an undercity quest. we've also procured a small portable recorder so we can go out into the city and collect secrets. our blog (http://unclaimedsecrets.blogspot.com/) has some teeny tiny updates, but mostly i've been too busy getting shit done. :)

and i've been around, just not posting. call me a carebear, but i just couldn't handle being on the receiving end of the terrible fucking snark around here.
havoc

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance