Cell Phone coverage

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Cell Phone coverage

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 am

I dunno.. I see a whole hell lot of the same going on everywhere. Nothing new. Stated opinion, nothing more.

Calm.. calm.. callllllllm..

jkisha wrote:
OregonRed wrote:I know I'm going to sound like a jaded, old Burner when I say this but, FUCK YOUR CELL PHONE! Lock the goddamn thing in your glove box and forget about it until you're off playa. You don't need it out there. If there is an emergency situation, the Rangers can get in contact with the outside world.

[/color]

Excuse me young lady, but WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TO TELL ANYONE WHAT THEY DO OR DO NOT NEED OUT THERE?!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Igneouss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:33 am

One of the wonderful things about BM is the immense diversity of opinions. No need to agree. No need to reach some sort of 'norm'. In fact, on issues like these, it would be bad.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 am

It's always that time of the month when I read indignant posts from people complaining about cell phones on the playa. Geez, it's the 21st century, get over it all ready. If someone wants or needs to have their cell phone on the playa, it's no bodies business but their own.

pizzamancer wrote:
jkisha wrote:I wonder who the asshole is in this story? But I think their initials are pizzamancer.

That time of the month jk?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 am

The ability of this topic to induce flames on any thread never ceases to entertain.

The BM location has to be remote enough it won't bother neighbors, yet near enough to population centers to draw from specialized subcultures. It is somewhat a TAZ, but at it's current location it's easy to set up a temporary cell site. It can't move to the truly deep North playa because it's too large. In order for BMORG to break even/make a profit, the number of attendees makes a temporary cell site profitable because of policies to promote rural telephone service. And radio ignores the perimeter fence.

It's inevitable that cell sites will follow festivals, so they will need to find other means to make the community experience unique. (I did not say control the cult, nope, not me, didn't utter the c-word)

Ironic too that the tech community has been a major driver for the festival.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:58 am

If someone takes my phone away and smashes it because they're enraged I have one and they want to pull a Burnier Than Thou, someone will get stabbed, just saying.

More seriously, though, if it ever happened you and I would be making a trip to the nearest law enforcement and you'd be getting all available charges against you. Including grand theft (anything above $400) Destroying someone else's stuff because you don't like it is not burner like at all.

I'm going to be using an android app, and damnit, if I have signal I'm going to call my grandma. She worries about me on the playa.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 am

Cell phone coverage comes in real handy for those drawing unemplyment, having loved ones on thier death bed at some hospital somewhere, large structures and thier builders who NEED to call out.... the list goes on and on.

If you see someone using a cellphone and it outrages you, you should turn your head the other direction and look at the shirtcocker standing behind you instead.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:19 am

I have seen cell phones make handy flash-lights... just sayin. :oops:

I am looking forward to being "off the leash," and, feel sorry for those who are not so lucky.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am

I second the "it's not a crime" feeling, but I think there's a certain unsaid courtesy with keeping them private and out of sight. Same thing goes with discussing current topics on TMZ. I'll never forget last year on Monday morning when I was snapped back to reality as soon as I heard a conversation in the distance about Lindsey Lohan. I almost cried.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:27 am

will you all please be quiet, i'm playing angry birds over here...

jesus christ.

(note to self, take cell phone out on the esplanade, and walk like a zombie staring at it the whole time and pretend to text all the while running into as many people and things as possible)
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

new use for that shoe mirror

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 am

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Foxfur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 am

If I see someone using drugs at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone wearing normal clothes at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone showering at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking bottled water of soft drinks at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking a hydration beverage that is not the exact same as mine at the event I will put my cock down their throat.

I dunno. I kinda think whoever wants to do whatever is ok with me.
Radical or not radical self expression is an individual choice.
I personally would like to know if Sweetpea has to go to the hospital. I'd like to be able to know she's alright and send her some flowers. Other than that I will not use the cell phone. Am I still a good person?
I'd like the freedom to think so.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

You're not going to have time for very much other than putting your cock down people's throats. :shock:
Foxfur wrote:If I see someone using drugs at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone wearing normal clothes at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone showering at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking bottled water of soft drinks at the event I will put my cock down their throat.
If I see someone drinking a hydration beverage that is not the exact same as mine at the event I will put my cock down their throat.

I dunno. I kinda think whoever wants to do whatever is ok with me.
Radical or not radical self expression is an individual choice.
I personally would like to know if Sweetpea has to go to the hospital. I'd like to be able to know she's alright and send her some flowers. Other than that I will not use the cell phone. Am I still a good person?
I'd like the freedom to think so.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Igneouss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Hmmm
It's always amusing to listen to anonymous people make nice safe anonymous threats on an anonymous message board.
Pretty much the absolute definition of 'coward'
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Tell him that to his face and I bet you will end up with his cock down your throat.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Igneouss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:31 pm

LOL
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby mrebikr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 pm

I see any body putting there cock down someone's throat, I may stare a bit. I have never seen it live, Other then the top of her head. Being a habitual heterosexual, I hope a girl is involved. I'm just saying.
O.K. enough with the jokes.
I'm a BM Virgin. So I'm reading ePlaya to get a bit of what to aspect on the playa. May-be some edict. What difference's I might cleave from my first BM. But what I read, there seems to be NO change. I might get stabbed, for using a sell phone, drinking Gator Aid, Or a cocked shoved down my throat for showering, don't trust a girl, if she rubs up on me, and ask to party. SHIT! I should just stay home. Or. Is all BS? And your trying to weed out the up-tights?
I heard, that BM is all about being yourself. You know, what-everrrr,,,Go's. If it feels good, do it. Bark at the moon, roll in the dirt, dance with your pants on fire. Am I wrong?
As for showering. I am bringing a solar shower. Sorry, I get croatch-root something fears. I need to keep by boys clean. You never know when someone will wan't them down there throat. T.M.I. I know.

meE
mrebikr

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:43 pm

What you said below is pretty much the way it is. I'm assuming English is your second language, so you are missing a lot of the nuance in the snark. Take most of what you read here with a grain of salt. And understand that no matter what you read here or anywhere else, you will never know what it is truly like until you experience it for yourself.

mrebikr wrote:I see any body putting there cock down someone's throat, I may stare a bit. I have never seen it live, Other then the top of her head. Being a habitual heterosexual, I hope a girl is involved. I'm just saying.
O.K. enough with the jokes.
I'm a BM Virgin. So I'm reading ePlaya to get a bit of what to aspect on the playa. May-be some edict. What difference's I might cleave from my first BM. But what I read, there seems to be NO change. I might get stabbed, for using a sell phone, drinking Gator Aid, Or a cocked shoved down my throat for showering, don't trust a girl, if she rubs up on me, and ask to party. SHIT! I should just stay home. Or. Is all BS? And your trying to weed out the up-tights?
I heard, that BM is all about being yourself. You know, what-everrrr,,,Go's. If it feels good, do it. Bark at the moon, roll in the dirt, dance with your pants on fire. Am I wrong?
As for showering. I am bringing a solar shower. Sorry, I get croatch-root something fears. I need to keep by boys clean. You never know when someone will wan't them down there throat. T.M.I. I know.

meE
JK
jkisha

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Most of what you read is worst case senerio so you will be prepared.

Most of it will not happen to you, so don't PANIC.

I went through the same thing last year and it just led to me building 90% of my camp structure, so now I'm, perpetually over prepared. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

It's interesting, how, "radical inclusion, acceptance, toleration" to so many, means "do what I approve".
yup, cell phones bug some folks......well, don't watch? Just a thought.
I don't like a lot of the prevailing (highest decibel) music, but, so what? I bet a lot of folks also don't like it. So what?
Maybe, I don't like those annoying foogin motorized scooters, that zip around, (way to fast), make dust and stink.
To foogin bad, for me.
If I wanna go, I'll have my burn the best way I can.
You do what you want, so will I.
Sure, it ends when someone interferes with anothers burn. IMHO. Like:
breaking their stuff, impeding their progress or physically influencing them.
Sure, it's a bummer, when someone gets in your face with a megaphone, because, you don't look or act "right".
well, either walk away, or, yell back?
Yup, there is a point, maybe you do break that megaphone, or shop vac blowing dust in your car.

But, really, how can someone on a cell phone ruin "your" Burn?
Lots of things piss us off. STFW.

I'd think, you might pity them, the leash they want.
I'd think, you might understand, or assume, maybe they have an important thing going on, or health issue at home?

Jeeeze.....

STFU
STFD
DTFK-A
HASLOF
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 pm

ygmir wrote:But, really, how can someone on a cell phone ruin "your" Burn?
Lots of things piss us off.

Well said.

I'm seriously going to be trying to get a call out mid-week, The Boyfriend & I aren't generally apart for long periods (awwww) & I'll be away 10 days this trip (my camp-mates have a dj gig at the Grand Sierra post-burn party on Tues). I want to make contact at some point, ie: I will be using a cell phone. I won't be walking down the Esplanade with it, mind you...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby OregonRed » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 am

I'm going to say it again... You don't NEED a cell phone on the playa. They are convenient, but they are not necessity.

The year I had to make an unemployment claim from the playa (2002, I think), I went to Oregon Country Fair Embassy and used their computers and wi-fi to do so. Also sent a quick email to my parents and kids telling them that I was okay and having a wonderful time. As far as I know, there are still camps that offer this sort of service.

I won't lie... In 2009 when my husband couldn't be at the Burn, I borrowed a cell phone from a TITWI and called my husband and passed the phone around Terminal City so that he could say hello to his playa family. But I didn't do it (or even think about doing it) until the Sunday after the Burn when we were starting tear-down. And as great as it was to hear his voice, it wasn't necessary.

M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:09 am

which just points out, the diversity of views.
Sure, a cell is not "necessary", neither is booze, or a bicycle, for everyone.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am

Certain states and conditions make a phone ABSOLUTELY necessary for calling in unenjoyment claims(computers won't work in my case)

I used to have to drive in to Gerlach to make my claims in 1999, 2001,2005, and 2009.... having cellphone service saved me 1/2 of a day's time(or more?) in 2009 and 2010.

Ultimately cellphones are no different that a GMRS radio or walkie talkie if you really think about it. :roll:
oneeyeddick

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:21 am

And I am going to say again...YOU don't need a cell phone on the playa; but it is pompous and presumptuous of you to assume that someone else might not. And stop using that irritating shade of red in your posts. If you were twelve, I could understand trying to be cute with the color name association; but since the purpose of the board is to communicate, your infantile use of color is as annoying as your posts on cell phone use. :shock:
OregonRed wrote:I'm going to say it again... You don't NEED a cell phone on the playa. They are convenient, but they are not necessity.
JK
jkisha

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 am

jkisha wrote: And stop using that irritating shade of red in your posts.

BwhaHaHa!!!

Caller her on her cellphone and tell her that, her # is 1-RED-RED-REDD
oneeyeddick

Postby Raymaker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 am

If it's for me, tell them I am not in.
Raymaker

Postby OregonRed » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:59 pm

jkisha wrote: And stop using that irritating shade of red in your posts. If you were twelve, I could understand trying to be cute with the color name association; but since the purpose of the board is to communicate, your infantile use of color is as annoying as your posts on cell phone use. :shock:

JK, if you don't like my posts or how I present them, you are free to "foe" me and never have to see them again.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:20 pm

I do not like cell phones, but I own one. It does not matter to me one way or the other if you own/use one. (I do like the potential for me to use it if I NEED to.)

I also do not like mega-phones, hippies, fun fur and ball-caps.

I thought the United States was a free country, where people where allowed to chose how to live their lives.... I guess that really means, as long as it is your way its fine.

Seriously, what difference does it make to YOU? Just walk away, turn your head, maybe scream into a megaphone - making it impossible for the person to talk on the phone. I do NOT advocate or condone destroying other people's property.

I kinda like the red posts. and even if I didn't, you are free to use whatever colour you want. I can always ignore if I like.

After all, it is a free country (or is it??)

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'd rather just comment on your posts with the same presumptuous pomposity just to keep things in balance. :wink:
OregonRed wrote:
jkisha wrote: And stop using that irritating shade of red in your posts. If you were twelve, I could understand trying to be cute with the color name association; but since the purpose of the board is to communicate, your infantile use of color is as annoying as your posts on cell phone use. :shock:

JK, if you don't like my posts or how I present them, you are free to "foe" me and never have to see them again.
JK
jkisha

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Sorry, but for me the best part about being on the Playa is leaving the default world behind. If I have something that absolutely must be checked on I get up early, go to playa info and check email there. All my voicemail goes there anyway. So if it's urgent I will know early in the day and can plan accordingly.

I'm not going to tell others how to Burn. To each his or her own. But for me, cell phone use or coverage does not add to the experience. Who wants to be reachable when you're having an incredible playa cuddle with a 6'5" guy from Astonia? Just sayin'.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks