Do you have a spare bike or know where I can get one in RENO

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Do you have a spare bike or know where I can get one in RENO

Postby designbunny » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:30 am

I'm flying in from London, and have been a bit last minute with my planning because I wasn't sure if I was able to go... anyway, I still need a bike for the playa - do you have a spare one, or know where I can buy a bike in Reno please?

I'm 6ft 2" tall with loooong legs so ideally need a big frame to fit me, pref a ladies drop bar frame.

My first burn I had a bike, and my second burn I didn't, I had lots of fun both times, but can say bikes do make the playa a bit easier - although the yellow bikes were pretty good & easy to find.
designbunny

Re: Do you have a spare bike or know where I can get one in

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:31 am

Pre-order and pick up in store from Walmart, or in person with Reno Bike Project. Google them..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby eureka » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 am

One thing with Walmart bikes they don't generally come assembled, so just be prepared to spend some time putting one together if you go that way.

We just got our bikes from the Reno bike project [url]http://www.renobikeproject.com/index.php/stuff-we-do/burning-man-bikes/[/url] and they are awesome. One of our group is 6'4" and we found a bike big enough for him easily. They say they usually sell out by Thursday the week of the event.
eureka

Postby Raymaker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm

I just checked with the Reno Bike Project regarding their opening times, although it reads they are closed on Sunday to Tuesday inc. they confirmed this:

ATTN: Hours during Burning Man will be as follows
8/25 - 8/31 9am-8pm.
These hours will change if/when we sell out of bikes.
Raymaker

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 am

Entered "bikes in reno" into the main Burning Man site search window, & got this very handy page:

Reno - Bikes and Bike Repair
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... Bikes.html

You can also join the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter and get bulletins and updates about this sort of thing about 1-2 times a month. Highly recommended. (It was the manner in which most of ePlaya knew tickets were going to sell out this year.)

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby designbunny » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 am

Thanks for the info, I've contacted the Reno Bike Project - they seem like a good bet at the moment, and I'll be visiting them next week when I get to Reno.

What is a good bike lock to use?
designbunny

Postby Raymaker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:42 am

designbunny wrote:What is a good bike lock to use?

my assumption is that bikes go missing in BM because people are pissed, dazed or just confused, so a cheap lock is probably all one needs to deter this. scenario, man grabs your bike 'd'oh the wheel doesn't turn, can't be my bike', man drops bike tries the next one, repeat until he finds one he can ride. But I may be wrong.
Raymaker

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:45 am

Raymaker wrote:

my assumption is that bikes go missing in BM because people are pissed, dazed or just confused, so a cheap lock is probably all one needs to deter this. scenario, man grabs your bike 'd'oh the wheel doesn't turn, can't be my bike', man drops bike tries the next one, repeat until he finds one he can ride. But I may be wrong.

+1 - The cheapest one you can find that works.
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 am

Raymaker wrote:I just checked with the Reno Bike Project regarding their opening times, although it reads they are closed on Sunday to Tuesday inc. they confirmed this:

ATTN: Hours during Burning Man will be as follows
8/25 - 8/31 9am-8pm.
These hours will change if/when we sell out of bikes.

Huuuuuuuuuuuh? I stopped through there last year around 4pm on Sunday and they were wide open for business with tons of bikes.

Although.. even though I'm "only" 6'1", all the bikes they had were too small for me. I settled on a new floor model returned bike from Walmart for $55.
junglesmacks

Postby Raymaker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Raymaker wrote:ATTN: Hours during Burning Man will be as follows
8/25 - 8/31 9am-8pm.

Huuuuuuuuuuuh? I stopped through there last year around 4pm on Sunday and they were wide open for business with tons of bikes.

Although.. even though I'm "only" 6'1", all the bikes they had were too small for me. I settled on a new floor model returned bike from Walmart for $55.

why Huuuuuuuh? the dates include Sunday, from Thursday 25th to Wednesday 31st, then back to their usual times.
Raymaker

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 am

Sorry.. I misread your post to say that they are closed from Sun-Tue. Still on my first coffee of the morning.. :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby Ratpick » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:13 am

designbunny wrote:I'm flying in from London, and have been a bit last minute with my planning because I wasn't sure if I was able to go... anyway, I still need a bike for the playa - do you have a spare one, or know where I can buy a bike in Reno please?

I'm 6ft 2" tall with loooong legs so ideally need a big frame to fit me, pref a ladies drop bar frame.

My first burn I had a bike, and my second burn I didn't, I had lots of fun both times, but can say bikes do make the playa a bit easier - although the yellow bikes were pretty good & easy to find.

Hey Designbunny. I may bring a couple extra bikes, though they'll be only of average size. Could be rideable by you but not your ideal comfort level. My group is already stressing about how much we're packing on one pickup but I'm not too worried. I could email some pics of my yurt to help find me...
I know enough to know I don't know shit. I just wish more people knew that much.
Ratpick

Location: Altadena! (you know, above LA, where the mountains rise up)

Postby FuckingEh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:49 am

Raymaker wrote:

You're totally right; it's not that people are thieves, they some times just think it's okay to take something that is sitting around.

Definitely always lock up your bike. I use a combo lock so I'm not messing around looking for keys, or worrying about losing my key.
FuckingEh

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Darwin Fish Tank

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:44 pm

designbunny wrote:Thanks for the info, I've contacted the Reno Bike Project - they seem like a good bet at the moment, and I'll be visiting them next week when I get to Reno.

What is a good bike lock to use?

I recommend some type of cable lock with a combination lock instead of a key lock. One of the first things you'll lose on the playa is a key! OTOH, you could lose your mind, but not as likely.

Choose easy numbers to remember, like your mum's birthday...and make sure the numbers are large enough to read...at night in dim light!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby skibear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 am

dragonpilot wrote:I recommend some type of cable lock with a combination lock instead of a key lock. One of the first things you'll lose on the playa is a key! OTOH, you could lose your mind, but not as likely.!

Your Mind is the first thing to lose at BM. :shock:

Maybe just after a bike key & CAR KEYS. Make copies of keys. pick easy to remember combo's.
:o
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Return to 2011 Share Resources