Pointless tips that might or might not help you out at all.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Pointless tips that might or might not help you out at all.

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:29 pm

When you start getting to the bottom of the big refill pack of babywipes,
they start getting wetter and you will know the time is near for another refill to be opened.

There really isn't a noticable difference in the smaller packages.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Pointless tips that might or might not help you out at a

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 am

I make my own adultwipes with old potato sackcloth treated with Lubriderm, Windex, and Tanqueray. It's like getting your fiber after crapping.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:17 am

Wow, I'm not sure if my gonads would want that kind of strife...

My tip: never wash out your sunglasses with water. Yeah, they're super dusty, but you'll just create these terrible water-playa spots on the lens. Bring some canned air instead (might work in conjunction with the water).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 am

I know I shouldn't encourage you guys, but lolololol.
Captain

Postby swampdog » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:00 am

Don't even bother with ball point pens. They get clogged with dust. Pencils or sharpies.

Be sure you know which one is water and which is the pee jug

Don't panic.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:23 am

playa dust and spit, makes mud, not lube.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:45 am

I'm torn between wearing a welder's mask to avoid seeing other's uglies or building a plexiglass terrarium around your head to contain an otherwise gifting feathery chapeau.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 am

swampdog wrote:Don't even bother with ball point pens. They get clogged with dust. Pencils or sharpies.

What do you use for emergency tracheotomies?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:22 am

Rebar?
Sic Pup

Postby Raymaker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:49 am

BBadger wrote:Wow, I'm not sure if my gonads would want that kind of strife...

My tip: never wash out your sunglasses with water. Yeah, they're super dusty, but you'll just create these terrible water-playa spots on the lens. Bring some canned air instead (might work in conjunction with the water).

I have been wondering about this, I have prescription sunglasses, so getting a cheap pair of sunglasses isn't something I can readily do, but my sunglasses have metal arms and I worry about long-term damage that the dust could do to them, so I thought about a solution of water and vinegar to wipe them clean, but I don't know if the vinegar would do as much damage as the dust, any thoughts, recommendations anyone?
Raymaker

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:54 am

Buying one of those "yellow" gas jugs to use as a urinal might not be a good idea if other campmates are also in charge of refilling your generator when it runs out of gas.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:54 am

Raymaker wrote:
BBadger wrote:Wow, I'm not sure if my gonads would want that kind of strife...

I have been wondering about this, I have prescription sunglasses, so getting a cheap pair of sunglasses isn't something I can readily do, but my sunglasses have metal arms and I worry about long-term damage that the dust could do to them, so I thought about a solution of water and vinegar to wipe them clean, but I don't know if the vinegar would do as much damage as the dust, any thoughts, recommendations anyone?

Worse case, there's always the plexiglass terrarium option.
Sic Pup

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:08 am

Raymaker wrote: I have been wondering about this, I have prescription sunglasses, so getting a cheap pair of sunglasses isn't something I can readily do, but my sunglasses have metal arms and I worry about long-term damage that the dust could do to them, so I thought about a solution of water and vinegar to wipe them clean, but I don't know if the vinegar would do as much damage as the dust, any thoughts, recommendations anyone?

I have this problem with metal frame glasses I take diving (on the boat not underwater) - the salt water off my hair and skin corrodes and pits the plating on the inside of the arms. Which then acts as an abrasive on my skin. The solution I found was to coat the inside of the arms with clear nail polish. The coating protects the metal.

I'm not sure how this might apply to the Playa, so I'm bringing only plastic frame glasses.

Another option would be to pick up heat shrink tubing (designed for electrical wiring) and apply it to the arms. Good protection that is easily removed when no longer needed.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:13 am

Raymaker wrote:I have been wondering about this, I have prescription sunglasses, so getting a cheap pair of sunglasses isn't something I can readily do, but my sunglasses have metal arms and I worry about long-term damage that the dust could do to them, so I thought about a solution of water and vinegar to wipe them clean, but I don't know if the vinegar would do as much damage as the dust, any thoughts, recommendations anyone?

As we've been talking about with electronic circuit boards, playa dust in and of itself is not inherently corrosive to metal until water is introduced. A little playa dust dusting is fine. I'm easily betting that a little wipe down is not going to hurt anything, and if you want to do a vinegar wipe.. you'll be just fine.

You know.. it's funny (and I remember my burgin state of mind too) how the playa dust is made out to be like this lava that will eat you and all your belongings alive. It's really.. not.. that.. bad..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 am

Yeah, I was actually pretty surprised just how "gentle" that playa dust was on my contacts. I thought I'd have to replace them or have blurriness or something, but even after forgetting my goggles during one of the burns, and having to squint my way back to camp, it wasn't terrible to my eyes.

Even the cracking on my hands, though drawing blood, didn't hurt. Maybe I was just having too much fun.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Raymaker wrote:I have been wondering about this, I have prescription sunglasses, so getting a cheap pair of sunglasses isn't something I can readily do, but my sunglasses have metal arms and I worry about long-term damage that the dust could do to them, so I thought about a solution of water and vinegar to wipe them clean, but I don't know if the vinegar would do as much damage as the dust, any thoughts, recommendations anyone?

As we've been talking about with electronic circuit boards, playa dust in and of itself is not inherently corrosive to metal until water is introduced. A little playa dust dusting is fine. I'm easily betting that a little wipe down is not going to hurt anything, and if you want to do a vinegar wipe.. you'll be just fine.

You know.. it's funny (and I remember my burgin state of mind too) how the playa dust is made out to be like this lava that will eat you and all your belongings alive. It's really.. not.. that.. bad..

From my playa visit last month I will attest to it being totally unlike lava. Working on the underside of my truck is great. If I knock off some dust, it floats down and gives me a taste of playa! Being in Oregon, it has gotten plenty of water on it. No holes or rust have shown up. I doubt the vinegar enemas are needed on vehicles, at least in my case...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 am

I did the vinegar thing every year for 12 years and it is still all corroded and rusty under the toyota.
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I did the vinegar thing every year for 12 years and it is still all corroded and rusty under the toyota.

anyway, I can't see how the vingar thing would help, with a car. unless you balance it perfectly, you end up with an acidic bath, that's probably just as bad as the alkalai.

now, Dick, as far as your bidet.........."rust never sleeps"............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:09 am

Fiberglass bidets last forever.
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Fiberglass bidets last forever.

a perfect example of why I so admire you........your foresight, and practical knowledge..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Savannah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:02 pm

ETA: DAMN YOU, YOUTUBE.
Last edited by Savannah on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BAS » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Peeing on the playa is preferable to peeing in your tent, but the porta-potties are better choice than either.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby jella » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:56 am

The porta potty kit
small shaving kit bag works well

1. small flashlight
2. small amount of 1 ply paper.
3. little bottle of water, ladies this is a cracker jack place to "freshen up" aahhhhh feels nice and clean
4. small bottle of hand sanitizer.
5. ziplock and spare ziplock with half pieces of clorox wet wipe.....Absolutely never put them in the potty, put them in the other ziplock and take with you !!!!!

RESPECT THE PORTA POTTY !!! :twisted:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:37 am

Or, call it a Moon Bag. I use an opaque make up bag which I can thread onto a ribbon lanyard for hands free work "down there".
Add tampons/pads, whatever you use, and a spare baggie to haul your used feminine hygiene products back to the camp trash receptacle.

No wrappers, applicators, or adhesive blocker strips in the potty! NO USED TAMPONS, please. Take them away with you. A tampon only counts as coming out of your body if you've eaten it.

I wish whoever puts up the container of gift OB tampons would include a small sign and baggies explaining this concept to the inexperienced burner ladies.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 am

..and you know, at least we get to throw toilet paper in there. When I lived in Central America, you weren't allowed to throw TP down the toilet, ever. I could never get used to the idea though even after 6 years there though..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Every woman who menstruates should bring supplies, just in case. Even if you just had a period, you can have another one early, even two weeks early!!!! The playa just does that to some women. If nothing else, you can help out some other unprepared burner.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Don't walk in front of the Espresso Camp in Terminal City talking on a cell phone, you might regret it if you do.
oneeyeddick

Postby Boijoy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:34 pm

UN zip your tent prior to entering.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Foxfur » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Don't walk in front of the Espresso Camp in Terminal City talking on a cell phone, you might regret it if you do.

I don't think we have anything planned. There's only four of us...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Oh, just dispatch Foxfur to forcibly greet the person at the other end of the conversation. At length, and preferably not during evenings or weekends!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks