RV Servicing (black tank pump and dump)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RV Servicing (black tank pump and dump)

Postby Dust Becomes You » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm

First time bringing the RV to the playa. I've already invested in a grey water evap pond, but I've heard some pretty sketchy stories about the timely pumpout of the blackwater tanks.

Is it just about flagging a pumpout truck and paying them cash? I heard that in the past you were supposed to go to the front gate and schedule it there?

thanks for your help!
Dust Becomes You

Re: RV Servicing (black tank pump and dump)

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 pm

NM
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Dust Becomes You wrote:First time bringing the RV to the playa. I've already invested in a grey water evap pond, but I've heard some pretty sketchy stories about the timely pumpout of the blackwater tanks.

It's in the Survival Guide. I've linked that part, but make sure you read the rest. Even old timers should read it every year.

Warning- Do Not Shit In Your RV!.

You may or may not be able to get your tanks pumped (bet on "not"), and the smell of hot poop is going to make your RV very unpleasant. We only even piss in there at night to save the trip to the JOT's, and generally we try to save that for later in the week.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:34 pm

FIll 'em up!

You wont usually see the trucks driving around the first couple of days but by Thursday, they are pretty easy to find and flag down. As suggested, read the guide for prices, distance from road, etc.

If you regularly use an RV, you are probably use the deoderizer/enzyme stuff and are aware of any odor issues from past use. Contrary to the previous posters experience, we (and millions of other RV'ers) go #2 in ours and have no problems. If it smells that bad, something is wrong. They don't just put toilets in RVs for show....
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:45 pm

weather man wrote:FIll 'em up!

You wont usually see the trucks driving around the first couple of days but by Thursday, they are pretty easy to find and flag down. As suggested, read the guide for prices, distance from road, etc.

If you regularly use an RV, you are probably use the deoderizer/enzyme stuff and are aware of any odor issues from past use. Contrary to the previous posters experience, we (and millions of other RV'ers) go #2 in ours and have no problems. If it smells that bad, something is wrong. They don't just put toilets in RVs for show....

I would agree. I have an old small trailer and have been using it for the two of us for three years. As long you clean it before hand and use a deoderizer/chemical it shouldn't smell even in the desert. But you have to use enough water to keep it liquid. I think that's where folks go wrong.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:45 pm

BTW. Our group rented our own porto from United & they are charging $100.00 for a pumping this year. :x Bring LOTS of cash.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Boijoy wrote:BTW. Our group rented our own porto from United & they are charging $100.00 for a pumping this year. :x Bring LOTS of cash.

So noted.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 am

bump for the guy that does'nt do research! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh...butif you are gonna schedule a pump out, you should definately come up to the gate. You want to ask for the shift lead. He'll have a clipboard and a radio and he's the one that calls them and radios your location info into them.

So..just go up, ask to see the shift lead, and tell them you need him to schedule your RV for service.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mrchiff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:51 pm

I think LOR needs a good pump out , being full of shit and all :)
mrchiff

Return to Shelter & Camping