Reliable goggles? I'm lost.

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Reliable goggles? I'm lost.

Postby Oztastic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm

I have a tiny face dudes. I recently figured that if I just got some goggles that are military issued it would be fine. Even at the tightest possible point on the strap, they still fall off my tiny head. They are also heavy! Ugh! So not happy with these. They would do much better on someone taller, with a lot more hair on their head is my guess at least.

Anyway, this leaves me with a problem.

No refund policy, strapped for cash on the rest of my supplies for the trip down, and it's my first year. My first choice was a bummer and I will now surrender myself to experienced burners who can honestly tell me what a good pair of cheap goggles are. Preferably a pair that isn't a giant ski mask looking thing like these are. Which honestly I would wear to protect my face if my head wasn't so damn small.

Speaking of, does anyone want these if my friend ends up not wanting them? They'd look super cool on someone eeeeelllseee? :)

Also, if I am posting in the wrong forum again please let me know. I'm terrible with sub forums and all that jazz~
Oztastic

Re: Reliable goggles? I'm lost.

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Ski goggles usually work fine, they're usually in a remainder bin this time of year. In your case, kid's goggles, I guess.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:41 pm

If you would have done a SEARCH for "goggles" you would have come up with this http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?keywords=goggles&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search which would have then lead you to this http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40929&hilit=goggles and a whole lot more information on goggles.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Oztastic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm

jkisha wrote:If you would have done a SEARCH for "goggles" you would have come up with this http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?keywords=goggles&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search which would have then lead you to this http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40929&hilit=goggles and a whole lot more information on goggles.

Hm, well you see I did do a search.
I'm also aware that clutter on the internet forums can be annoying, so my apologies.

I am a catastrophic thinker, and it's hard for me to pour through hundreds and hundreds of posts to find exactly what I need. This doesn't calm me, in fact it infuriates and frustrates me.. I function better just by simply asking the question outright. But also, I'm new so please forgive me. I'll do my best to research more thoroughly. This post is the result of weeks and weeks of searching, being lead to army navy store, buying goggles, and finding that they don't work. I have searched this site, and lots of other sites for something and I guess I'm just not a visual learner.
Oztastic

Postby Oztastic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Bob wrote:Ski goggles usually work fine, they're usually in a remainder bin this time of year. In your case, kid's goggles, I guess.

Haha, you are probably right. Darn, those goggles woulda looked cool tho! :)
Oztastic

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I can certainly appreciate your frustration with searching. Which is why I lead you to the latest thread with goggles that lots of people recently and not so recently have purchased and enjoyed.

Because the event (Burning Man) relies so heavily on the "Principles", especially "Radical Self Reliance"; your post might have been better received (at least by me) had you started by saying something like you just explained. It lets us old timer's know that you really did try to search for the information before asking. Just saying... :wink:
Oztastic wrote:
jkisha wrote:If you would have done a SEARCH for "goggles" you would have come up with this http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?keywords=goggles&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search which would have then lead you to this http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40929&hilit=goggles and a whole lot more information on goggles.

I'm also aware that clutter on the internet forums can be annoying, so my apologies.

I am a catastrophic thinker, and it's hard for me to pour through hundreds and hundreds of posts to find exactly what I need. This doesn't calm me, in fact it infuriates and frustrates me.. I function better just by simply asking the question outright. But also, I'm new so please forgive me. I'll do my best to research more thoroughly. This post is the result of weeks and weeks of searching, being lead to army navy store, buying goggles, and finding that they don't work. I have searched this site, and lots of other sites for something and I guess I'm just not a visual learner.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Go to the dollar store and find swimming goggles.

They have them in adult and child sizes.

Thats where I got mine. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Oztastic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 pm

jkisha wrote:I can certainly appreciate your frustration with searching. Which is why I lead you to the latest thread with goggles that lots of people recently and not so recently have purchased and enjoyed.

Because the event (Burning Man) relies so heavily on the "Principles", especially "Radical Self Reliance"; your post might have been better received (at least by me) had you started by saying something like you just explained. It lets us old timer's know that you really did try to search for the information before asking. Just saying... :wink:
Oztastic wrote:

Absolutely noted for next time. And I also appreciate being taught, so thanks. :) I'll get the hang of this eventually haha.
Oztastic

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Go to the dollar store and find swimming goggles.

They have them in adult and child sizes.

Thats where I got mine. 8)

Oztastic, pay attention to this! Swim goggles!

Or, spend $3.99 at Walgreens and get swim goggles in a hard plastic case that fits in your pocket. Mine have soft silicone around the eyes which does a sweet kind of sucking thing when I pull them off, but, doesn't leave a mark on my skin. And, they hold the lenses out of an old pair of my glasses exactly perfectly without glue.

I put some tiny flame decals and dots of paint on mine, just for fun. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Industrial supply, safety goggles.

The better one come in different sizes.

Children's size may be a good idea.
i use some earplugs in those.
gyre

Postby Korwedge » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Used ski goggles at the thrift store. $2. Tinted for day time, clear for night time. They have air vents protected with foam to keep the snow/dust out!
Korwedge

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Get all DIY on your military issue gogs. You've spent the money, no refunds. They're currently of no use to you. So play with them, try and mess them around. The military surplus should generally be easy to do, since they are as one size fits all as you can get. Anything from replacing the strap with something else, or tying the strap to take up the slack, to even stapling the strap (make sure to staple outwards, so you don't end up with points digging into your head). An awkward fit beats getting alkali dust in your eyes, and you never know, you may end up camping next to some kind of playa-MacGyver who can help you further improve the fit.

Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Oztastic wrote:No refund policy, ...~

I guess you have found the perfect gift to give. Breath deep; you'll be okay.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby graidawg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:12 pm

i just ordered some skydiving goggles, just because i think they look cool. I hope they work my back up swim goggles are a bit to small for my over size eyesockets on my over size head! still one or the other will do as spares or a gift once i find out which work best! hey mayve we will get lucky and we will have freak weather conditions this year and there will be no dust ....
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:22 am

:lol: No dust! :lol:

Tell another one. :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby shroom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:28 am

I bought an inexpensive pair on ebay. I wore my sunglasses all day and kept my goggles and dust mask close by for any dust storms. I did fine.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 am

You're not going to die if you don't have goggles, FYI. I bring them and never wear them.. ever. Even in whiteout, I seem to be fine. YMMV.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:57 am

Oztastic wrote:I have a tiny face dudes. I recently figured that if I just got some goggles that are military issued it would be fine. Even at the tightest possible point on the strap, they still fall off my tiny head. They are also heavy! Ugh! So not happy with these. They would do much better on someone taller, with a lot more hair on their head is my guess at least.

You couldn't try them on in the store?

Cut the strap, fit it to your head, sew it or safety pin it back together.

My googles...one pair I got from a Goodwill $1lb paintball mask. Or I wear a full-face mask. Try shopgoodwill.org or ebay for cheap options. I don't really know why people would spent more than five or ten bucks (prescription and special sizes aside).
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Igneouss » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:13 am

I've tried a few pairs of goggles at BM. Durning the day if it's hot, I sweat under the goggles. You know - like 20% humidity outside the goggles and 100% inside. It's more annoying than the dust. Have yet to find adequately ventilated goggles. Last time I just wore wrap a round safety glasses. Worked for me. But I agree that goggles that don't casue the sweat problem would be better...
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:12 am

Some models of sunglasses work reasonably well in a simoom.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby swampdog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:18 pm

in six years I haven't had a pair of goggles that I'm really happy about. Pretty much anything will help, though. I've used cheap stuff that I got at one of those sunglasses knock-off shops at the mall and they got me through the worst of it.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:36 pm

It doesn't matter how good or expensive your goggles are...they'll always be sitting back at camp when you need them.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Packoderm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Motocross goggles - available in kid's sizes and available for pickup at any motorcycle shop. You can get several different lenses - clear, tinted, yellow, etc. Just bring them to the playa and keep adding a little vaseline or massage oil to the ventilation foam until you get your desired balance between keeping the dust out and being free of fog.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 pm

dragonpilot wrote:It doesn't matter how good or expensive your goggles are...they'll always be sitting back at camp when you need them.

Ha!

Ventilation = dust in yo' face
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Clothing & Playawear