Electrolyte drinks

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Electrolyte drinks

Postby mazatta » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 am

As I cannot stand the taste of Gatorade, I set off in search of other alternatives. I've seen lots of people recommending Vitalyte on here, but it doesn't appear to be available in Canada. I find some whatever brand of powdered drink at my favourite bike shop, but I didn't think I'd need a powder keg-sized amount of electrolytes for the week.

What I did find is powdered coconut water! I tried a sachet of it last night and totally love the taste of it. It's not super cheap at around $0.80 per serving, but it tastes awesome and will probably be the base of a pina colada or two. I've seen recipes for DIY gatorade and the like, but I don't think any of them will be as delicious as this.

Any other suggestions?
mazatta

Re: Electrolyte drinks

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 am

I think rehydrate is the best... comes in a few different flavours..

We use it at battle re-enactment events here in the UK in water and it works a treat for a lot of people

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 am

Try these:

DIY
Heat
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 am

You can purchase Vitalyte via Amazon and have it shipped.

You can also order it ahead of time and pick it up in store at any REI.

Vitalyte is the best, period.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

junglesmacks wrote:You can purchase Vitalyte via Amazon and have it shipped.

May not even need to pre order - the REI near me stocks quite a bit of it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:07 am

Drawingablank wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:You can purchase Vitalyte via Amazon and have it shipped.

May not even need to pre order - the REI near me stocks quite a bit of it.

Very true. We have no REI on the east coast though.. and it's nice to not have to fly with it. I order it straight to Reno and pick it up pre-playa :D

Just a thought for those flying in..
junglesmacks

Postby peachandpapa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 am

We use Nuun... Doesn't have a lot of sugar nor funky after taste. Plus, you just have to throw a tablet in your water bottle and it fizzes away; no mixing.
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 am

Vitalyte, the end. Amazon, REI.com, Ebay, etc. Search for it on this site, there's more than enough posts detailing why it's the best.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 am

junglesmacks wrote:We have no REI on the east coast though.. .

Yes we do.

I get the tub because it's the best deal, then scoop out what I need for BRC into a baggie. Easy, takes up no space.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am

C.f.M. wrote:

Yes we do.

Not in Florida we don't :D

Less weight on the plane, too. The more I can pickup in Reno the better.
junglesmacks

Postby Zhust » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:56 am

I use plain water with table salt and pop a multi-vitamin each day. It's not that much different than Gatorade, except that I miss out on all the sugar.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Skip the liquid mix ins, go for electrolyte tablets. A couple a few times a day, and you won't have to feel like you're guzzling shit down you're not too hot on.

Then you can drink whatever you want and still have your electrolytes. Though of course the key here is as long as the "whatever you want" isn't a harsh diuretic.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Electrolyte tablets... GENIUS!

You can also go with pedialyte/pediacare. Available in three flavors from most pharmacies/grocery stores. Costco around here sells it too, one large bottle should cover you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:58 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

Yes we do.

Not in Florida we don't :D

Wow, that sucks - I have 2 within easy driving distance. The original one they opened here about 20 years ago is about a 25 minute drive. Recently they opened one that is 1.1 miles from here and I assumed that they were just making a push to open them everywhere.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Wow, that sucks - I have 2 within easy driving distance. The original one they opened here about 20 years ago is about a 25 minute drive. Recently they opened one that is 1.1 miles from here and I assumed that they were just making a push to open them everywhere.

Eh.. honestly I can see why there's not. Any outdoor sport that you can do here is pretty much covered by Walmart, a dive shop, a surf shop or the like. Camping isn't real big here because of the heat/lack of mountains.
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:55 pm

I have both liquid Pedialyte and powdered, along with many tempting beverages including nice, salty V-8.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Savannah wrote:including nice, salty V-8.

V-8 is great---it's like a Salt Lick in a can, and by end of week it's worth it's weight in vodka.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mazatta » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Does anyone happen to know if there's a REI in Fernley? That's where we'll be getting our grocery on.
mazatta

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Here you go..

mazatta wrote:Does anyone happen to know if there's a REI in Fernley? That's where we'll be getting our grocery on.
junglesmacks

Postby BAS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

[quote="junglesmacks"Eh.. honestly I can see why there's not. Any outdoor sport that you can do here is pretty much covered by Walmart, a dive shop, a surf shop or the like. Camping isn't real big here because of the heat/lack of mountains.[/quote]

I misread that as "lack of mosquitoes"! I don't know if that is because of my camping experiences and/or I'm just tired... :?
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 pm

BAS wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Eh.. honestly I can see why there's not. Any outdoor sport that you can do here is pretty much covered by Walmart, a dive shop, a surf shop or the like. Camping isn't real big here because of the heat/lack of mountains.

I misread that as "lack of mosquitoes"! I don't know if that is because of my camping experiences and/or I'm just tired... :?

No.. that is one thing that we DO NOT lack down here.. :(
junglesmacks

Postby mazatta » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 pm

I should have mentioned I didn't want to get a lmgtfy response, but thanks ;)
mazatta

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm

mazatta wrote:I should have mentioned I didn't want to get a lmgtfy response, but thanks ;)

lol.. you left yourself wide open for that one.. and.. if you're quick enough to know what lmgtfy is, then there's really no excuse for lack of Google-fu.. :wink:
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

My thoughts exactly. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Just an FYI, today and tomorrow are the last days that you can order the Vitalyte to be picked up in store at REI in Reno. It's $16 for a kilo of it which is a killer deal. Even on Amazon it's $20+. I'd swoop up on that.. I just grabbed two..
junglesmacks

Postby Zhust » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 pm

mazatta wrote:I should have mentioned I didn't want to get a lmgtfy response, but thanks ;)

Ordinarily, I'd say http://ialreadygoogledthat.com/, but you deserved it.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Do you really need a lot of electrolytes? Or do you just think you do? I don't think you do.

In fact, I bet you'll be overloaded with electrolytes as is. If you eat any of your packaged foods, especially junk foods, you're going to have TONS of sodium in your body all the time.

I drank a single can of "Spicy Tomato Juice", the kind that you use for Bloody Marys. It has 60% of my daily recommended value of sodium in that single can. Had some ramen noodles for lunch? That's probably about the same. A can of Coke? Sodium there too.

Hell, you could just sprinkle salt on your food and you'd have enough no doubt.

That just leaves potassium. The potassium helps regulate the sodium in your body, that you'll have too much of anyway. Yes you'll need it, but don't overdo it. Too much can be bad for you. A great source of potassium? Orange juice. WAY more than Gatorade per serving, like 5x the amount. Also try some molasses. This is, of course, if you can't get it through whatever foods you eat already.

I would not even bother with any of those electrolyte drinks unless you plan on shitting water out your ass due to diarrhea the entire trip or you're Lance Armstrong at a bike competition. Even your trance-induced dancing will probably not qualify you for an electrolyte drink. Drink some water. That's all you need.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 pm

The electrolyte products mentioned are all good. There are also threads on make it yourself mixtures.

The key electrolytes are sodium, chlorine and potassium. Sodium and chlorine are easy - table salt and found in prepared foods. Potassium is harder. Read the fine print. You need much more than the RDA on the playa! So if a serving of coconut water has 10% of the RDA (it does), how many servings do you need to consume to get more than the RDA. People who say you just need table salt are wrong.

Electrolytes are needed for muscle and nerve action, as well as other body functions. One year I was drinking plenty of water but ran out of electrolytes. High heart rate that wouldn't go down, no physical energy. If that happens to you go to medical. Its a common playa diagnosis.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:42 am

some seeing eye wrote:... Read the fine print. You need much more than the RDA on the playa! ... One year I was drinking plenty of water but ran out of electrolytes. High heart rate that wouldn't go down, no physical energy. If that happens to you go to medical. Its a common playa diagnosis.

Interesting.
Last year, a doctor on-playa seeing people offered both Gatorade and water, but choosing to drink copious amounts of Gatorade, got upset at their thinking that would protect them or rehydrate them faster. She said that water will absorb faster than anything else. She asked the gifter of the water and Gatorade to steer people, and in particular anyone with dehydration symptoms, to the water, and to consider not offering Gatorade.
In addition to the Gatorade, she saw some Emergen-C packets being gifted. She said that although hot, you're not running a marathon in that heat, so you don't need more than the normal amount of electrolytes. In addition to what you eat, most people (~my emphasis) do not need any electrolyte boost so one electrolyte boost per day is plenty (like one Emergen-C packet), more is a waste and way more could mean you end up seeing her (she didn't specify risks/symptoms).

I've got a doctor on-playa telling me one thing and you saying another. Do you have sources for:
some seeing eye wrote:... You need much more than the RDA on the playa! ... Its a common playa diagnosis.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 am

Water hydrates but it does not replenish.

Down here in Texas, I can see that I am pumping out massive amounts of electrolytes, etc in the volume of sweat I produce from doing just about anything outside in the heat, like loading the roof of the bus. 100+ degrees with humidity gives you a visual clue that hey, you should probably drink something to replace all that liquid and minerals you are loosing. Moderate heat and no humidity? You do not get the same visual clues like being able to wring out your shirt out but you are still pumping it out almost as fast but it is just evaporating almost as soon as it is produced.

In order to wind up in the med tent because of too much electrolyte intake (too much potassium is really the only thing that would land you there) would require a pretty serious effort of potassium supplement intake on the part of the individual. It is physically impossible to overdose on potassium from an electrolyte replacement drink of any brand name due to the fact that all electrolyte replacement drinks, powders, tablets, etc. are 95ish% water and you will be depositing all of your excess potassium and other minerals into the magic blue of the porta pottie as your body flushes it out. Ever notice that bright, fluorescent yellow pee a few hours after taking a mulit-vitamin? Same thing. Your body takes what it needs and gets rid of the rest.

You might be able to pull off a mild imbalance if you ate a few of the 1 kilo tubs of Vitalyte in one sitting with no water, but here again, that would require an enormous investment of effort to accomplish.

Now, I can see the doctor being dismissive of Gatorade because Gatorade is essentially flavored sugar water. It has some replenishment properties, but nothing on the scale as a product like Vitalyte or Cerasport mixes. Gatorade branding is popular in sports because they pay a lot of money to have their logos everywhere and has become the accepted go to sports/outdoor activity drink due to really good marketing.

And yes, it is also true that people are probably are wasting money on electrolyte replacement drinks on the playa, but given the alternative of winding up in the med tent with an IV from going down being dehydrated, I'd rather be pissing out the excess minerals I intake over the course of the day. Plus, plain old water gets really boring after a while. You need a little flavor in there to cut the dust.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Next

Return to Food & Drink