Khaki or busted...

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Khaki or busted...

Postby Shoeshine » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 am

OK I need some creative thinking on wardrobe.

This is my second year. Last year as a noob I took the advice read here, "wear what speaks to you", but get outside default. I am a construction/tool guy (run my own design/build shop, practical) I have an appreciation for steampunk but not really a costumer, so I grabbed a bunch of vintage style desert gear i.e. British campaign. Pith helmets, cargo pants, ammo belt for needed items, etc... basicly all in Khaki.

Dammmit everyone thought I was a ranger. I shit you not, I was approched several times to resolve problems. At opulent temple, two very attractive women engaged me in conversation (I was stoked) then started asking me leading questions about why I do this? hunh? what are the ways I deal with disruptive people? again... hunh? by the time I realized what was going on it had degenerated into a total dissconnect.

So I guess I am soliciting thoughts on practical desert wear that does not fit this image.

now I must say that pink fur is so far from my personality that I cringe at the thought. Not because it is bad, for some folk it is a perfect fit --- just not my bag.

I want to get outside my normal coveralls and jeans. I can see that interesting clothing sets up a mindset that makes this week something other than business as usual.

I just need some ideas or suggestions of something that expresses my personality, but has a festival/celebration feel.

anyway, this is silly question, I know.
but if inspiration strikes, feel free to jot down any thoughts

appreciate it
Shoeshine
Shoeshine

Re: Khaki or busted...

Postby gaminwench » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:21 am

utilikilt, sarong, kaftan, sarong, hot pants/booty shorts, sarong...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby duder9000 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:52 am

Tie dye (or just plain ol' dye) or spray paint the stuff you bought last year? In a color palette you feel comfortable with but that won't be "ranger-y"?

Reminds me of my first year when I excitedly showed up with my decorated playa bike that was spray-painted...all fluorescent green :oops:
* SparkleSpaz HoboTron 20:12 *
A PSYCHOBILLY SPAZATRONIC HOBO-RIFFIC HONKADELIC WONKYTONK!!!
duder9000

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:10 am

Perhaps there's another color besides khaki (but not pink) that you're down with? You wouldn't need to change out your whole wardrobe, probably just interject a few different colors. Utilikilt is a great idea (and one of these days I'm going to be able to get one, dammit), and they come in a few color options.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Raymaker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:18 am

Accessories, fun colourful accessories could help, exaggerate the steampunk theme look further. Off the top of my head have glow sticks or glow tubes/strings threaded through a shoulder bullet belt. Stitch brass/copper effect fabric patches on top of the Khaki.
Raymaker

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:02 am

duder9000 wrote:Reminds me of my first year when I excitedly showed up with my decorated playa bike that was spray-painted...all fluorescent green :oops:

(wiping off screen). oh duder, whoops!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Savannah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Raymaker wrote:Accessories, fun colourful accessories could help, exaggerate the steampunk theme look further. Off the top of my head have glow sticks or glow tubes/strings threaded through a shoulder bullet belt. Stitch brass/copper effect fabric patches on top of the Khaki.

Agreed. Shoeshine; take the steampunk further and older and with a little more copper/silver bling or fun extras, rather than rejecting a look you like. After all, most Rangers are not wearing Pith helmets; they're wearing boonie hats and keeping it (fairly) utilitarian.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Shoeshine » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks, I guess I was thinking I needed to ditch the gear from last year.

But you make goods points R & S. I DO like the look. Now I just need to dig up some more extravagant acessories.

I do some metal work in my shop, so thin brass and copper sheet is in my bin. I also have a good Indian/Pakistani clothing shop not far from here. Maybe I can get some embroidered cloth and take it in a more "lawrence of arabia" ish direction. Or victorian with epaulets (sp?) or brocade or something....

appreciate it
Shoeshine

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am

Shoeshine wrote:Thanks, I guess I was thinking I needed to ditch the gear from last year.

But you make goods points R & S. I DO like the look. Now I just need to dig up some more extravagant acessories.

I do some metal work in my shop, so thin brass and copper sheet is in my bin. I also have a good Indian/Pakistani clothing shop not far from here. Maybe I can get some embroidered cloth and take it in a more "lawrence of arabia" ish direction. Or victorian with epaulets (sp?) or brocade or something....

appreciate it

Those all sound good.

If any of it is cotton or mostly cotton you can also dye it- if you want to keep a "Victorian" theme go for browns (which should dye over khaki fine). You can even toss in some of Her Majesty's Scarlet color- gives the outfit some brightness while keeping in the steampunk/british idea.

There are also dyes for poly blends, but I can't imagine wearing poly out there. *sweat*

Up the volume!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:40 am

Shoeshine wrote: I also have a good Indian/Pakistani clothing shop not far from here.

*Jealously gnashes teeth*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 am

Try something cobbled together. This was made from stuff I had lying about.

Building according to plan is not my style nor are period outfits. I'd wear them if given / loaned one but wouldn't ever make one. At least I don't think I would.
A pluss of mishmash outfits is that you can make infinite remixes with the endless possible permutations. I made an Excel spreadsheet of permutations using 30 items and got a bazillion resulting outfit combinations!
Most Salvation Army stores havw 50% off day on Mondays.
Yard sales are great for picking up free clothing. Find something you like and hit em up @ the end of the day. They give you the stuff!
Last edited by Foxfur on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 am

What's with the birthday present on top of your head?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:25 am

You'll never be confused for a Ranger in an outfit like this:

Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 am

theCryptofishist wrote:What's with the birthday present on top of your head?

My turn-ons include long walks on the beach, watching beautiful sunsets, shooting fire out of my head...
My turn-offs include fire extinguishers, rain showers, and scuba diving...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Fuck em.

I want your khaki if you don't wear it.

Just smile and no one will think you're a ranger.
Or start writing them a ticket for something, anything.

Camping etiquette is quite strict where I grew up, and this seemed to alarm the paranoid, so I had to modify that behavior.

After I had the man carved in my head and dyed purple, no one thought I was a ranger, if anyone ever did.
gyre

Postby Cheyenne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 pm

there are a load of British Army surplus jackets on ebay at the moment - some with full regimental buttons and badges too... they are pretty low prices..

I'm bringing my WWII dress jacket I have and will probably wear it with a tutu and jackboots or something...

Anything goes...

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm getting close to finishing my bare fox outfit. I've been tanning the hide in the sun for a month. It looks sort of ok now. I'm not really sure if I dare wear it out there but if someone else likes it I'd gladly let them use it for a while. As long as you treat it gently I'll let you use it whenever you like. Unless someone else is already using it...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Return to Clothing & Playawear