Is Land floats away, maybe we can help.

Is Land floats away, maybe we can help.

Postby fbcota » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:57 am

In my daily internet run I just found out that Is Land, a really cool floating Island art project that was supposed to come to BM this year floated away. By floated away, it looks like some asshole cut the string to the project and the helium art project floated away. http://gizmodo.com/5828151/how-does-a-floating-island-go-missing

I am wondering, what we can do as a community to help? I am emailing the artist to see if they have any ideas, and while I am sure it will be a serious task to remake a project like this, maybe if a bunch of us pitch in it could happen again. I guess I am just throwing out ideas. It breaks my heart when these kind of things happen, so its natural to want to find a way to help.
fbcota

Re: Is Land floats away, maybe we can help.

Postby mener » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Looks super cool, but they were incredibly dumb to not have spent some dough/time to ensure someone didn't set it free. Would LOVE to see it at BM though. Kickstarter?
mener

Postby fbcota » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Ropes get cut, steel cable gets cut, just about everything gets cut pretty easily.
fbcota

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Lots of assholes in the world.

That looks so awesome. Hopefully they will find it build it again. I'd love to see that at BM.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby SnowBlind » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:02 pm

The Guardian had an article about it http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/aug/02/missing-inflatable-island-secret-garden

They are trying to use meteorological models to figure where it went. As of Tuesday, they were suspecting it somewhere over the Czech Republic. They contacted Czech newspapers in hopes of finding it.
SnowBlind

Postby graidawg » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 pm

SnowBlind wrote:The Guardian had an article about it http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/aug/02/missing-inflatable-island-secret-garden

They are trying to use meteorological models to figure where it went. As of Tuesday, they were suspecting it somewhere over the Czech Republic. They contacted Czech newspapers in hopes of finding it.

MISA! quick save it. oh hang on misas already in the USA. damn forget i said anything
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:30 am

ObBunringMan, the vandals were the only people at that fest who actually interacted with the balloon.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby fbcota » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Mener: Just found out that the installation was in the middle of a lake and the asshole who cut the line took a boat out to the project to cut it. Yay, gotta love it when you instantly blame the artist for something that seems like they spent a good amount of effort trying to prevent.
fbcota

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm

So I take it they still haven't found it?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby mener » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 am

fbcota wrote:Mener: Just found out that the installation was in the middle of a lake and the asshole who cut the line took a boat out to the project to cut it. Yay, gotta love it when you instantly blame the artist for something that seems like they spent a good amount of effort trying to prevent.

Still blame the artist. You bring it to a festival like that, spend $15k+ on it...you should have SOMEONE watching it. Its in the middle of a lake? Cool, have an anchored boat on watch. "Hey, I left my brand new uninsured car parked in a very remote location while I camp and party. Hope no one breaks in even though Im in a remote location!"

Dont get me wrong, I think its fucked up and I AM willing to do what I can to help bring it to the Playa, I just think people need to not be so naive.
mener

Postby jkisha » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:37 am

Permanent art is often displayed in cities without a 24 hour guard. and we park our cars in the street all the time without expecting them to be stolen. Imagine the additional cost of making art if 24 hour security is necessary to assure its safety. Don't think you can/should blame the artist here.
mener wrote:
fbcota wrote:Mener: Just found out that the installation was in the middle of a lake and the asshole who cut the line took a boat out to the project to cut it. Yay, gotta love it when you instantly blame the artist for something that seems like they spent a good amount of effort trying to prevent.

Still blame the artist. You bring it to a festival like that, spend $15k+ on it...you should have SOMEONE watching it. Its in the middle of a lake? Cool, have an anchored boat on watch. "Hey, I left my brand new uninsured car parked in a very remote location while I camp and party. Hope no one breaks in even though Im in a remote location!"

Dont get me wrong, I think its fucked up and I AM willing to do what I can to help bring it to the Playa, I just think people need to not be so naive.
JK
jkisha

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

jkisha wrote:Permanent art is often displayed in cities without a 24 hour guard. and we park our cars in the street all the time without expecting them to be stolen. Imagine the additional cost of making art if 24 hour security is necessary to assure its safety. Don't think you can/should blame the artist here.
mener wrote:

Permanent art isn't usually made of helium, rope, and sphagnum moss or whateverthefuck.

And I'd imagine if you molested the Pink Floyd's flying pig, a roadie would punch you in the pants.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 am

Bob wrote:And I'd imagine if you molested the Pink Floyd's flying pig, a roadie would punch you in the pants.

......and say unkind things about your lineage to boot.

A friend told me so.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Return to 2011 Art & Performance