UV reactive bubbles- a great idea or a stupid gift?

UV reactive bubbles- a great idea or a stupid gift?

Postby lauraeaton77 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey all!

I found these bubbles that glow under UV light- sound awesome but this is my first BM and I'm not sure how many camps (if any?) will have UV lights. I don't want to give a stupid gift! Please advise! :o)

Thanks!
lauraeaton77

Re: UV reactive bubbles- a great idea or a stupid gift?

Postby AQUARIUSatBRC420 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 am

Last year was my first year. Let me tell you...you're in for a treat.

While the theme camps may or may not have black lights, I do remember a lot of the art cars having black lights. And the art cars will drive over to the big camps, especially the big sound camps. Me and my girl went over to Nexus last year. The DJ was playin sick dubstep and the camp had a super sick setup. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, an art car creeped up onto the dance floor. So we hopped aboard and sat in a big L-shaped sofa. This thing was lit up with black lights and all kinds of UV paint. The car was bouncin to the beat cause other peeps climbed aboard and kept on dancin. So here we are on the sofa, bouncin to the beat, and tripping on boomers with the coolest cats and sickest beats. That was our first night out!

Basically, bubbles are fun. And UV reactive bubbles are better.

Now if you really want to know where to go with your bubbles, go to Opulent Temple on Wednesday night at 1am. It is the white party, so bring a white outfit. Infected Mushroom is playing a live set.

The best gift on the playa is to be a cool newbie: Be self reliant. Give a gift of any kind without expectations of something in return (helping someone who is having trouble with his tent, keeping the desert clean, blowing bubbles, spraying someone with cool water on a hot day, giving a cool drink). Live in the moment. And be a good citizen of Black Rock City so that it is there for many more years to come.

Have an awesome burn and welcome home..
If anything's worth doin....it's worth doin right... buy the ticket and take the ride. - RIP HST
AQUARIUSatBRC420

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 am

Oooooo YES! I would say you need a couple of LED bubble guns to go along with it.. only $3 a piece..

Not advertising in the least.. just suggesting. :D

Also, I found where you can make your own UV bubbles solution. All you need is a highlighter pen and a bottle of bubbles. Pop open the highlighter and drop out the felt core with the ink. Drop that in the bottle of bubbles.. shake.. and you have UV reactive bubbles!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:48 pm

There are black light LEDs.

And portable fluorescents.
In 12 volts also.

You want blue-black light bulbs.
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:19 pm

gyre wrote:There are black light LEDs.

And portable fluorescents.
In 12 volts also.

You want blue-black light bulbs.

Lol.. whaddya talking about there.. gyre?
junglesmacks

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:34 pm

They're bubbles that react to black light, no?

Or something else?
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 pm

gyre wrote:They're bubbles that react to black light, no?

Or something else?

Yes, they are.

Ok.. I see.. you were saying what type of light will make them react. :D

Sometimes your writing style is interesting

It confuses me a bit

Then I get used to it, and I think of it as a haiku.
junglesmacks

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:51 pm

If I understood what they're planning, they are wondering if there are places that have enough UV.

I was just offering some ways of carrying it with them.

Someone brought the idea of portable UV up years ago.
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm

gyre wrote:If I understood what they're planning, they are wondering if there are places that have enough UV.

I was just offering some ways of carrying it with them.

Someone brought the idea of portable UV up years ago.

Ahhh.. ok. Even clearer. I think more they were wondering if the actual gift of UV reactive bubbles would be useful to give away, and asking about the general availability of blacklight type light out there. Not so much what they would be experiencing, but if they were to give them away could the recipients easily find the light to play with..
junglesmacks

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 pm

so the matter left behind wen they land on the playa is not considered moop??
Mr. Flintstone

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I've always sort of wondered about that, too. Although, I was willing to let those sleeping dogs lie.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby capjbadger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Oooooo YES! I would say you need a couple of LED bubble guns to go along with it.. only $3 a piece..

Not advertising in the least.. just suggesting. :D

Also, I found where you can make your own UV bubbles solution. All you need is a highlighter pen and a bottle of bubbles. Pop open the highlighter and drop out the felt core with the ink. Drop that in the bottle of bubbles.. shake.. and you have UV reactive bubbles!

Bet you could mod the bubble shooter... replace the front LED in it with a UV (black light) LED. :D

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:51 pm

capjbadger wrote:Bet you could mod the bubble shooter... replace the front LED in it with a UV (black light) LED. :D

-Badger

I tooooooooooootally thought about that.. zomg. Found half gallons of UV bubble juice on Amazon for $20. One shooter on each hip.. BLAMMO!
junglesmacks

Postby Taralynnray » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I brought those little vials of wedding bubbles to the playa last year. Neat idea, but one big problem: There was usually too much dust in the air for bubbles to stay together. If I got them to blow into bubbles at all, they popped immediately. There was one relatively clear, still afternoon in a sheltered part of camp when I managed to blow a bunch of bubbles. But the rest of the time it was too dusty/windy. If you could find a good protected, enclosed area at night you might be able to make them work...? Oh, and commercial bubble solution (dunno about the UV stuff but betting its similar) doesn't have enough glycerine in it to stand up to playa dust EVER. Bring some extra glycerine out with you to bulk up your bubble solution and you'll have better luck. I do love the idea of UV reactive bubbles-- I hope to see them on the playa!
Taralynnray

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Wow.. thanks for the insight! I've been playing with the idea all day of bringing a gallon of bubble machine bubble juice with me. Sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth..
junglesmacks

Postby Taralynnray » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:29 am

junglesmacks wrote:Wow.. thanks for the insight! I've been playing with the idea all day of bringing a gallon of bubble machine bubble juice with me. Sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth..

I dunno, a bubble gun/machine might have better luck than little ol me blowing on a plastic stick :) If you own a bubble gun/machine already and have the room in the car, I'd say bring it and give it a go. But if you plan on spending your day blowing on a stick, well... I'm sure there are plenty of other things you could blow on at burning man that would be a whole lot more rewarding!
Taralynnray

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:33 am

Taralynnray wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Wow.. thanks for the insight! I've been playing with the idea all day of bringing a gallon of bubble machine bubble juice with me. Sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth..

I dunno, a bubble gun/machine might have better luck than little ol me blowing on a plastic stick :) If you own a bubble gun/machine already and have the room in the car, I'd say bring it and give it a go. But if you plan on spending your day blowing on a stick, well... I'm sure there are plenty of other things you could blow on at burning man that would be a whole lot more rewarding!

I'm wondering too about adding additional glycerine to the solution like you said. You can pick up a bottle of it from any drug store. Might be interesting to play with..
junglesmacks

Postby AQUARIUSatBRC420 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Pass em out at the White Party at OP. Sure to be black lights there. And some great tunes.
If anything's worth doin....it's worth doin right... buy the ticket and take the ride. - RIP HST
AQUARIUSatBRC420

Postby lauraeaton77 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Wow, thank you all for all of the advice and suggestions! I had been thinking I may have to have a couple of the LED pistols... :o)

The glycerine tip is especially helpful- I'll be sure to do that!

See you all on the playa! I may not be there until Thursday but if I'm there Wed night I'll def. be at the white party!

-l
lauraeaton77

Return to 2011 Art & Performance