Getting Water at Gerlach: Pros and Cons?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Getting Water at Gerlach: Pros and Cons?

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:46 pm

portaplaya wrote:Actually, this specific thread was created in early 2011.

Oops! April 04, 2011 - I saw the 04, and proceeded to be wrong...

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby pink » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Does anyone know what the Empire Store charges for the 2.5 gallon jugs that I have been buying in Reno? (I learned after the 1st year NOT to lug water up the hill...not only does it save gas, it makes my van's engine happy). If it's not much more than the Save-Mart in Reno, I'd love to support the store. I
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby essjay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 pm

junglesmacks wrote:From the latest JRS released minutes ago:

PURCHASE WATER IN GERLACH

"Gerlach General Improvement District - 401 Cottonwood Drive - 775-557-2601 Open 9am-11am, but open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. The Gerlach GID (the local governing body of Gerlach, just a few miles from BRC) will be selling potable water to fill up RVs and water tanks of any size, with the funds going to support the town of Gerlach. Located in front of the town's Community Center, look out for directional signs just as you enter town on Main Street. Rates are 50 cents per gallon up to 100 gallons, 45 cents per gallon between 100 and 200 gallons, and 40 cents per gallon for above 200 gallons. Cash only, but ATM is onsite. Call the office or email gerlachgid@yahoo.com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups prior to August 26th.

This decision has been made in an attempt to keep our water rates reasonable for the citizens of Gerlach. We have a top notch water treatment plant here, but due to the small size of our town, our 150 residents must pay for the maintenance of an entire water system. We want to provide a town resource to the participants of Burning Man, and we think this will save you money in addition to helping our town. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon, and by buying your water in Gerlach you will avoid paying fuel costs to transport your water from afar."

Is there a typo above for the GID hours? I saw that in JRS, but I am pretty sure that should be "Open 9am-11pm, but open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28."
essjay

Postby Mr.Coffee » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

My guess is they'll be 24/7 until at least wed, with a call-out number on the door should they not be.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm

From JackRabbitSpeaks V15:#32:08.25.11

UPDATE ON BUYING YOUR WATER IN GERLACH

This Rabbit got his water in Gerlach this year, and got an update on their hours. They're open on Friday from 9am-1am, and 24 hours a day over this weekend. Here are the details:

Gerlach General Improvement District - 401 Cottonwood Drive - 775-557-2601
Open 9am-1am, but open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. The Gerlach GID (the local governing body of Gerlach, just a few miles from BRC) will be selling potable water to fill up RVs and water tanks of any size, with the funds going to support the town of Gerlach. Located in front of the town's Community Center, look out for directional signs just as you enter town on Main Street. Rates are 50 cents per gallon up to 100 gallons, 45 cents per gallon between 100 and 200 gallons, and 40 cents per gallon for above 200 gallons. Cash only, but ATM is onsite. Call the office or email gerlachgid@yahoo.com with any questions or to arrange fill-ups during the event week.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby hboss810 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Not bad if you like to pay for over priced Tap water.

Let's not fool ourselves...It's a water waste treatment plant.
hboss810

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm

hboss810 wrote:Not bad if you like to pay for over priced Tap water.
Let's not fool ourselves...It's a water waste treatment plant.

Tasted pretty good last year...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby captain mcguiver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 am

It's good spring water that is being scrubbed for naturally occurring Uranium. The water level standards exceed most Federal guidelines throughout the country.

So, it's really GOOD tap water.

Also, buying in Gerlach HELPS the community get rid of it's excess water. They have TOO much water there. By buying some if it you defray their expensive water bills due to paying for the treatment plant.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks