Extending shade off of a 1" EMT conduit shade structure.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Extending shade off of a 1" EMT conduit shade structure.

Postby robrob » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 pm

So, we just built a 20x30 shade structure out of EMT conduit tubing, and i have two piles of interesting scrap sitting around. One is a dozen 2 foot lengths of EMT. The other is a pile of scrap banner vinyl thats about 3 x 20 or 40 each. I'm thinking of ways to use them and possible provide some "personal shade" for tents so we can keep the main unit open for communal activities.

My idea is to use connectors to turn the 12 scraps into six supports necessary to add 40 feet in length at 4 feet high. ANd then trim the banners to 12 feet or so, and add 8 grommets per end. Bungie to the edge of the shade and suspend out to the 4 foot rail. anchor it down, done. a bunch of sleeping shade.

for privacy and separation/decor purposes, i can grommet a dozen 8 foot lengths of the banner, and use zip ties to hang them vertically.

what do you dudes think? it's about $100 for all the rest of the parts; seems like a great way to use these scraps, and get some stable shade. anything super glaring i'm overlooking?

Oh- one initial concern is the vinyl is pretty heavy. it would probably be much simpler and more stable to pay $50 for a couple more big tarps, but then that adds to an already stretched budget AND loses a little of the scrap charm. But it is an alternative.

robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Re: Extending shade off of a 1" EMT conduit shade structure.

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Sounds like you have a plan.
So if I'm understanding right.
You are proposing to add a portion of vinyl that starts at 8' high, then slops down to 4' high for folks to nap under?
Throw some cots or short hammocks under there so people are laying around in an area that is other wise useless for walking/dancing. The idea is to keep people lazen around out of the walking areas?

I don't know what your camp plans are, but I'd say 600sqft of shade is a good amount.
I'd probably use the scrap vinyl, for making some type of "curtain wall" for lack of a better term. Place the walls on the South and west sides, so that the afternoon sun doesn't sneak in.
Shade structures with out "walls" are great until about 2 or 3 oclock, when the sun is at an angle and coming in through the side of the structure. Then everone on the west side, has to get up and move to the east side with the shade. Isn't much of a big deal if its just fordable camp chairs, but isn't very doable if you have couches or large furniture.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby robrob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

illy- yep, thats exactly what we're thinking. anyone know off the top of their head what a safe maximum load to 1" EMT is, assuming it's anchored down nicely with ratchet straps etc?

I hadn't considered full sides, but since we are going to try and score some cheap couches in Reno, i may investigate...
robrob

Postby Token » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 am

Why even bother with the scrap metal? 3 grommets in each strip if vinyl and go from roof to ground with 12" nails.

You lose a bit of floor space but the gain in on-playa simplicity more than compensates.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 am

Yeah, and maybe grommets every 12" along all edges and you can lace the narrow pieces to a rope staked at ground level, and side-to-side to keep them from flapping wildly.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby robrob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 am

those are both great ideas that not only simply things but cut both costs and asspain. thanks for the feedback!

i think we're going to camping with a friend's interactive art project at the 3'oclock plaza, so do stop by and say hi :)
robrob

Postby Stickygreen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 pm

I like the making of flags, and matching decor. It looks nice to see camps that have thought out the aesthetics of there space.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby garyt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 am

Robrob,

Did you take any pictures of your final shade structure on playa? How well did it hold up against the wind? I am building something similar but covered on all side except for one opening. Did you use shade cloth or just heavy duty tarp?

I was considering doing 5x5 squares on the roof instead of your 10x10 for a "better" structure but that would increase the amount of connectors and poles which means more money. Is the 10x10 sufficient? Let me know!

Thanks
Gary
garyt

Return to Shelter & Camping