Water trucks

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Water trucks

Postby pizzamancer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Where does that water they spread around come from? Is it from frog pond?
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Re: Water trucks

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm

pizzamancer wrote:Where does that water they spread around come from? Is it from frog pond?

I'm not sure, but I think it's from Pyramid lake.
SnowBlind

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 pm

It is imported from Japan.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Playa+tom wrote:Last year the water used for the roads in Black Rock City came from artesan wells at Fly Geyser. It may or may not be potable, it probably has not been tested, the trucks are not approved for carrying potable water, it may be safe to consume but there are no guarantees and you may wind up with a good case of the trots for a few weeks.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13508&p=686976&hilit=geyser#p686976b
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby pizzamancer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 pm

thank you.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Korwedge » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 pm

I always thought it was from frog pond, as well.
Korwedge

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:04 am

Definitely non-potable, wherever it's from. Keep your mouth closed when chasing after one and getting your playa shower :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 am

Frog Pond is, I understand, owned by a private party. It may even have changed hands in the past few years. Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that in different years they make different deals with different sources of water. I'm sure it's been Frog Pond in the past.

Maybe we need too much now...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 pm

They only use the finest freshest water. Better than your tap back home. Non Potable signs are from the legal department.
Marscrumbs

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:53 pm

This year's water truck will feature LIVE tadpoles!

No more shredded up chunks stuck in your teeth..
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby FeetOfClay » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:07 pm

I've heard many times NOT to follow behind the water trucks for the purpose of cooling off with a free "shower"...
the main reason given is that it is not "potable" water, or that the water sprayed is contaminated "gray" water...

Here's my question:
--If it were gray or contaminated water, wouldn't it be forbidden for the trucks to dump it on the playa? Why all the rules against letting water u use to rinse your hair touch the playa, but then allowing trucks to dump gallons of dirty water on the ground?

I sense it may be more about preventing slip hazards, or avoiding divits and notches being worn away on the Playa...but is the water really unsafe to bathe in?
If I kept my mouth and eyes out of the water, could it still make me sicK?
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby Joshua! » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

It will make you sick!

Unless you are planning on taking a shower or wiping down with alcohol after, you will be carrying E-coli and other nasties.

It's icky. Trust in that!!!

Joshua
Joshua!

Camp Name: Gigsville

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm

It has to do with the difference between an artificial pond used at times for watering cattle and soap. The E. coli will die fairly quickly in the dry and uv and alkaline, but the soap will still be soap.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby VultureChow » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:I've heard many times NOT to follow behind the water trucks for the purpose of cooling off with a free "shower"...
the main reason given is that it is not "potable" water, or that the water sprayed is contaminated "gray" water...

Here's my question:
--If it were gray or contaminated water, wouldn't it be forbidden for the trucks to dump it on the playa? Why all the rules against letting water u use to rinse your hair touch the playa, but then allowing trucks to dump gallons of dirty water on the ground?

I sense it may be more about preventing slip hazards, or avoiding divits and notches being worn away on the Playa...but is the water really unsafe to bathe in?
If I kept my mouth and eyes out of the water, could it still make me sicK?

It's not gray water, rather non potable due to high levels of coliform bacteria including e coli. Basically it's contaminated with feces. I'm guessing cattle.

It's basically surface or well water from an area with a lot of cattle. I'm going to guess the particulate levels aren't high enough to leave a residue on the playa and clearly none of the bacteria are going to survive a fun bake in the sun while lying on an alkaline dustbowl.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Major Krash » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

keep burning man potentially fatal
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby FeetOfClay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:38 am

that makes much more sense now--gonna stay away from that, thank you!

my camp is building a small evap pond for camp showers, so i should be okay :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby shroom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 am

I have also seen someone chasing a truck fall.....so injuries and being muddy rather than clean defeats the purpose.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; Isaiah 43:2
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby 666isMONEY » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

From Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 17, Issue #11
January 11, 2013

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{============================================================}
=================BLACK ROCK CITY CIVICS====================
{============================================================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WATER TRUCKS - THEY'RE NOT MOBILE SHOWERS!

You’ve seen the trucks that drive around Black Rock City, spraying down the streets and dampening the dust, right? You’ve also seen the ‘naked marathon’... groups of people, tearing off their clothes (or not), and running behind the trucks, hoping to get cooled off by the spray. Quite a hoot, right?

Right, so let’s not do that anymore ... here’s why:

We know, it’s WATER, and we’re in the desert, and that’s amazing! But honestly, the water coming out of these vehicles isn't potable (pōtəbəl - safe to drink). It contains bacteria which could make you sick, and you certainly don’t want that, in the desert or elsewhere.

The playa gets incredibly slippery when wet, moreso than regular dirt ... over the years we’ve seen more than a few busted up faces, after folks slipped and fell against the metal bumper of the water truck (can we just say: OW).

Save your guts and your teeth, use potable water for bathing!

I always put my hand on the truck when running behind it . . . but do fish swim in it?

See also this thread:

Don't shower with your mouth open
by homo ardentum » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

The latest Environmental Assessment for the 2012 permit is now out and it has some interesting info about the water source for dust suppression. The event’s identified water source is Fly Ranch in Hualapai Valley, approximately eight to 10 miles west/northwest of the event site. This source is a thermal, continually flowing artesian source; water is taken from a reservoir down-gradient from the actual surface expression. The Fly Ranch water source has been used in previous years, in accordance with water transfer certificates issued by the State water authority to Black Rock City LLC to allow for application of this water on the event site. The applicant contracts for six million gallons of water. They've done some water quality testing and found the following:

Table 3.11-1. Primary MCLs for Drinking Water – Fly Ranch Water Quality Results
Constituent Fly Ranch Water Source

Total Coliform 1,732.9 mg / 100 mL
Escherichia Coli (e. Coli) 11.0 mg / 100 mL
Fluoride 8.4 mg/L

So when you're running naked behind those water trucks, keep your mouth (and other orifices) closed!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55846
666isMONEY

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm

I always have morbid visions of someone slipping under a wheel? That's got to be extremely rare, if it happens at all. I'm just good at thinking up horrible accidents. One of the best, if I may say so myself.

but do fish swim in it?

I don't speak for the entire class of pisces when I say, no.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 pm

]
theCryptofishist wrote:I always have morbid visions of someone slipping under a wheel? That's got to be extremely rare, if it happens at all. I'm just good at thinking up horrible accidents. One of the best, if I may say so myself.

but do fish swim in it?

seems unlikely, since you'd have to be in front of said wheel.......and everyone I see is chasing the truck, from behind.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Some idiot might blunder in front of the truck, causing it to stop. Then someone running to catch it from behind will slip-n-slide up under the truck, get a leg in front of a wheel, and everyone hears a sickening crunch as the truck rolls over their leg.
maladroit

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm

ygmir wrote:]
theCryptofishist wrote:I always have morbid visions of someone slipping under a wheel? That's got to be extremely rare, if it happens at all. I'm just good at thinking up horrible accidents. One of the best, if I may say so myself.

but do fish swim in it?

seems unlikely, since you'd have to be in front of said wheel.......and everyone I see is chasing the truck, from behind.

What do you think "extremely rare" means?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 pm

It's less to do with the extremely unlikely scenario of someone somehow getting their leg under the wheel of a truck than it is the fairly likely scenario that some dumbass faceplants into the tail end of the truck (or the water spigot on the back). Sadly (and hilariously too), it happens a few times a year. Someone decides to run behind the truck for a playa shower, then either has the presence of mind to keep their eyes and mouth closed to keep the water out or they learn the hard way after they get a mouthful/eyeful, then the truck slows down or stops while they don't. Dealing with these injuries can be particularly difficult because everyone's laughing their ass off at the poor bleeding fool in the street.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TT120 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 am

I wondered about the effectiveness of those trucks. It seemed like they were kicking up more dust than was being suppressed. Even the water droplets were kicking up dust as they hit the ground. Maybe if it was a finer spray, it would be better.

If we could get them to fill the trucks with beer, that would be epic!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Showers - No Longer Golden?

Postby GregXPresley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:42 pm

..from today's JRS; see below. Summary: Truck Showers = Bad 4 You! Scary! Sick! Slick!

Leaving aside the unanswerable questions (uh, "Civics?" or, "Isn't that the same water Larry soaks in?") You know, those kinda of questions. You can *ask* 'em, but...anyway. MY question is this:

Is BMORG going to *enforce* this new, uh, policy? And if so, how? Frowny faces? Instruct truck drivers to stop until all those dirty people go away? Rangers riding shotgun & writing tickets? What?

..just call me "Dusty on 'D' Ring"

WATER TRUCKS - THEY'RE NOT MOBILE SHOWERS!

You’ve seen the trucks that drive around Black Rock City, spraying down the streets and dampening the dust, right? You’ve also seen the ‘naked marathon’... groups of people, tearing off their clothes (or not), and running behind the trucks, hoping to get cooled off by the spray. Quite a hoot, right?

Right, so let’s not do that anymore ... here’s why:

We know, it’s WATER, and we’re in the desert, and that’s amazing! But honestly, the water coming out of these vehicles isn't potable (pōtəbəl - safe to drink). It contains bacteria which could make you sick, and you certainly don’t want that, in the desert or elsewhere.

The playa gets incredibly slippery when wet, moreso than regular dirt ... over the years we’ve seen more than a few busted up faces, after folks slipped and fell against the metal bumper of the water truck (can we just say: OW).

Save your guts and your teeth, use potable water for bathing!
GregXPresley

Burning Since: 1994
Camp Name: HellCo

Postby phil » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:50 pm

[quote="FeetOfClay"
--If it were gray or contaminated water, wouldn't it be forbidden for the trucks to dump it on the playa? [/quote]

You are, of course, correct. I would give similar credence to all the other statements cited as facts regarding why not to do a playa shower behind the truck.
phil

Postby GregXPresley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Cowpoop bacteria in the Fly reservoir, eh?
This, my friends, is a problem with an easy solution. Bonus points if you find any math errors...

large water tanker (semi truck trailer) capacity, in gallons: 7200
# of truck trips required to transport 6 million gallons of water: 835

minimum percentages of common disinfectants required to kill coliform bacteria in water:
2% tincture of iodine: 1:2000
5% chorine (household bleach): 1:25,000

minimum amount of common disinfectants required to kill coliform bacteria in 7200 gallons of water:
2% tincture of iodine: 3.6 gallons
5% chlorine bleach: 0.29 gallons

minimum amount of common disinfectants required to kill coliform bacteria in 6 million gallons of water:
2% tincture of iodine: 3000 gallons
5% chlorine bleach: 240 gallons

number of gallons of 5% chlorine bleach that would be required to dose 835 tankers of spring water, assuming the drivers are told "just dump in half a gallon, more of less, before you fill it up": 418

est. price of a gallon of household bleach, retail: $2.45

est. price for 418 gallons of household bleach, wholesale (approx. 52 cases)(inc. est. $300 for delivery): $1200

estimated # of tickets that will be sold to Burning Man 2013: 50,000

estimated cost to add bleach to 6 million gallons of dust suppression water so that those ticket-holders can take a shower in it without the risk of bacterial infection, per ticket: $0.025.

That's right. Two-and-one-half cents per ticket.

deleterious environmental effects of sprinkling 418 gallons of household bleach onto the playa: None.

I know, I know, you're mama told you never to drink it. See Wikipedia entry on 'Bleach'.

"A Risk Assessment Report (RAR) conducted by the European Union on sodium hypochlorite (i.e., 'household bleach') conducted under Regulation EEC 793/93 concluded that this substance is safe for the environment in all its current, normal uses.[25] This is due to its high reactivity and instability. Disappearance of hypochlorite is practically immediate in the natural aquatic environment, reaching in a short time concentration as low as 10−22 μg/L or less in all emission scenarios. In addition, it was found that while volatile chlorine species may be relevant in some indoor scenarios, they have negligible impact in open environmental conditions. Further, the role of hypochlorite pollution is assumed as negligible in soils."
GregXPresley

Burning Since: 1994
Camp Name: HellCo

Postby Rice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Likely hood of this happening... 0.00%

The water trucks are used to suppress dust, not intended to give lazy hippies their annual shower!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Marscrumbs » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:15 am

With 8.4mg of Fluoride per liter how could this be bad for your teeth ?
The real problem is that it is designed to pacify us by the global elite. You have been warned.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 083103.htm
Marscrumbs

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am

I'm okay with the idea of non-potable water being non-potable. If I or my campmates do the playa shower thing it's a short run, not too close to the truck, and immediately followed by a shower in the rig we brought with us at camp.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks