Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re:

Postby pizzamancer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:53 am

dragonpilot wrote:Two best days in a man's life: the day he buys his first RV, and the day he sells it!

BTW, if anyone would like a copy of my RV House Rulz, PM.

Having rode in the Dragon Wagon, I have to say that this guy was a complete prick about his rules and cleaning the RV. It contributed to having an AWESOME burn.

Thanks DP!

You should have seen him laugh at the couple who came by on Tuesday and asked if we had any water because their RV tank ran out.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Re: Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an R

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 am

I forgot.

IMPORTANT: Potable Water in an RENTAL RV.

Only fill the RV water tank with potable water. But, DO NOT CONSUME (drink or cook with) THE WATER OUT OF THE RV TANK!!!
You don't know where prior fillers got their water...

Use the tank water for showering, flushing and dishes.

Bring drinking/cooking water in safe containers for drinking and cooking, as though you're in a tent.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 am

Canoe wrote:I forgot.

IMPORTANT: Potable Water in an RENTAL RV.

Only fill the RV water tank with potable water. But, DO NOT CONSUME (drink or cook with) THE WATER OUT OF THE RV TANK!!!
You don't know where prior fillers got their water...

Use the tank water for showering, flushing and dishes.

Bring drinking/cooking water in safe containers for drinking and cooking, as though you're in a tent.

Or even easier, is just make sure there is a charcoal filter on the line to the galley sink. If there is a drinking faucet and a regular faucet at the sink even better. If the folks at the RV rental place can't tell you when the charcoal filter was changed, stop by a big box hardware store and buy one. They are $15 bucks, and easy as shit to change. You shouldn't even need tools.

Or,
Once you rent the RV, throw about 10-20 gallons in the fresh water tank, with a couple caps of bleach.
Drive around for a while. Then run the fresh/bleach water through the galley sink, into the gray water. Stop at a truck stop pay the $4.95 to dump the couple gallons. Then when you get to Gerlach fill the tank full.
Any bleach that will be left over will be diluted into 80-100 gallons.
If you're very afraid of putting bleach in your drinking water, use a couple cups of vinegar.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby shroom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:50 am

very good thread! I hope to try burningman in an rv next year, did the tent thing last year.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 am

*bump*
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AbundantChoice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

I also can't stress enough the need to have a good organization system once you hit the playa, i.e. "your clothes are in this mini-closet, my clothes are in this mini-closet, snacks are in this shelf, this drawer is for communal glowy crap" etc etc. It's reallllly easy to let stuff get disorganized, which will quickly fill the common areas, then the sleeping areas, and eventually all hell breaks loose. This tends to be a much bigger issue in the 2nd half of the week.

Also, if you are giving lifts to BM to other people in your camp that are tenting it because you have the big RV and all that, be aware that some of them will feel like the RV is their second home by the time you get to the playa, and will be in your RV constantly during the event, trying to use your fridge/food storage for their stuff, napping, etc. This can lead to bent noses as Person X goes "wait.. why am I paying for 1/4 of this RV when I actually spent *less* time in it and used it less than Person Y who wasn't even part of our RV to begin with, and isn't paying anything?"

But yeah, RVs have their pros and cons. I'm going back to a Kodiak canvas tent this year.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby illy dilly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm

AbundantChoice wrote: It's reallllly easy to let stuff get disorganized, which will quickly fill the common areas, then the sleeping areas, and eventually all hell breaks loose. This tends to be a much bigger issue in the 2nd half of the week.

Amen!

Our 'house rule' was daily RV cleaning/pick up is:
9:30ish to 10:30ishAM- its starting to get too hot to sleep, but its not too hot to pick up and organize a lil bit.
4:30ish to 5:30pm- for everyone that is not cooking dinner. The RV has cooled down by then, dinner is being cooked/RV being picked up, so right after dinner everyone can start getting ready for the evening.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 pm

*bump*

Savannah

Postby HappySarah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Last year was my first burn and I rented an RV with 3 other people.
Here is what we did right, and what we couldn't dine differently.

What we did Right:
- Strict rules for toilet usage. The rules were: Never do No. 2 there, Do No. 1 only at night time when sleeping and too tired/drunk/fucked up to make it to the porta potties, and we allowed 1 or 2 showers for each one of us for the whole week, and we had someone standing outside the shower and timing out the shower to 2 minutes only. We also constantly monitored the fresh water tank and the grey water tank and adjust the rules accordingly as we go.
- I watched out for the RV Servicing Trucks while touring the playa, and on a lucky day, I found one! I gave them our address and asked them for a time, and they showed up, and emptied our grey water tank! It costs $60 and it was totally worth it! I was lucky to find them exactly in the middle of the week, because it would have sucked if I only saw them in the first day or the last day!
- We were with a camp that provides a generator at a low cost, so we got to enjoy the AC at the day time without exceeding the RV generator usage and having to pay extra for it.
- Sleeping and belongings storage arrangement: it’s easier to divide the space from day 1 so everyone knows where their stuff are and where they are expected to sleep.
- We made full use of the fridge, freezer since they run on propane, so they were on ALL the time. We brought vacuum sealed frozen gourmet meals and that was awesome! All what we needed to do was to leave them out to defrost in few minutes and microwave them!

What we couldn't done differently:

- We allowed people in, which is fun and we got to make many friends, but also caused lots of stress and at some times, someone would get back to the RV very tired and looking for some peace just to find 8 people partying in this little space
- We kept our shoes on inside the RV which totally destroyed it! The space was very dusty and dirty all week round!!
- We didn't do our homework in finding an RV cleaning company ahead of time and book it. This resulted in going to some scamming company, paying a lot for bad service, and waiting as long as 12 hours to be serviced
- We didn't keep the place organized (I am pretty messy myself), and we were constantly looking for things that we lost in the messy space
- We didn't register all of us as eligible drivers, so people who picked up the RV were the only ones allowed to drive it which was unfair for them
HappySarah

Burning Since: 2013

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:56 am

You probably also could have considered setting up an account with United Services ahead of time, and scheduling your RV servicing in advance.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 am

We had a similar issue allowing random people in our RV in 2012.

Needless to say, its just the wife and I now. While we camp with other great folks, the RV is our private space.

But due to the high cost of renting a coach, most people don't have the luxury of going solo.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Mojojita » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Something I found that works really well with keeping clutter down: I have a big tote that lives outside under the shade next to the RV that is named The Black Box of Despair, everything left out of place goes in it. If anyone is missing something - it's the first place to look.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:26 pm

A tip I learned on ePlaya, and passed along to a friend this year: Hang an over-the-door organizer with lots of clear plastic pockets on the back of every door that will support one. (You might also put one on a wall).

I suggested it to him because I'd noticed that in previous years, all of his interior flat surfaces were overrun by random stuff. This year, he had a highly organized girlfriend camping with him, and I knew she would hate what happens to his countertops if he didn't take measures against it.

(They told me it worked out really well.)

Savannah

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks Savannah. Now I discover I need clear plastic shoe organizers at home as well as organizing non shoe every item on playa! Who would have known...
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Eddaytona » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 pm

You can book an appointment with the pump out truck company before you get to the Playa? How?

Our first year it was no problem getting a pump out on Wednesday. This year we had to use one of our large coolers lined with a garbage bag for excess grey water until the pump out. It was a real crisis and we are very rigorous in grey and black water usage. We couldn't get a pump truck until Saturday.

The pump truck guys told us there were only 16-18 trucks in the entire city and they were dedicated to the porta potties for the most part so couldn't stop, sorry. The 20% increase in population and resultant extra RVs and potties were not planned for and slammed them.

Hopefully the Borg and United send another four or five truck out this coming year (please). But, if you can book in advance that would be awesome. Any hints for doing that?
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.
Eddaytona

Postby Jackass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:40 pm

herd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:47 am

Eddaytona wrote:It was a real crisis and we are very rigorous in grey and black water usage. We couldn't get a pump truck until Saturday.

I've been in an RV since 2003 and we've never had a grey-water problem, and only came close to a black-water one once (when a friend broke his foot but didn't want us to have to leave the playa early, so he used the toilet since he couldn't get to the porta-potties). Use disposable plates & bowls (burnables), use water sparingly for washing other dishes, if you must shower limit everyone to 1 or 2 for the week, depending on how many people are in there, and they are only allowed to run the water to get wet & rinse off. If someone wants more showers, they need to set up an outdoor unit or your group needs to figure out a way to deal with the gray water that doesn't rely on an extremely limit resource (United Services)

The pump truck guys told us there were only 16-18 trucks in the entire city and they were dedicated to the porta potties for the most part so couldn't stop, sorry.

Hopefully the Borg and United send another four or five truck out this coming year (please). But, if you can book in advance that would be awesome. Any hints for doing that?

United Services is there to deal with the porta-potties, any pump-outs are just an extra burden to them, and not to be expected. If BMorg adds extra trucks, it will be to deal with the blue rooms, not to make RVer's lives easier (and I'm an RVer, this is not coming from someone one of those "anti-RV" people).

Contracting service is easy - contact United Services, just like Trilo said in his post. However, don't expect it to be cheap. Limited resource and all that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 am

I need to do a rant about United Services. They are a monopoly and do not care about you. Barbie Death Village had contracted with them over the phone a month prior to the event to pump out our gray water from our shower twice during the week, once on Wednesday and again late Saturday, for a flat rate of $150. Both parties agreed that was reasonable and we went forward from there. Frank the Vintner had all his ducks in order and even met up with the United Services people early in the week on playa just to double check. Yes, we and the agreement we contracted were in the system. And they did show up on Wednesday as contracted. But upon arrival the useless long-haired stoned pile of human debris informed us that United Services was changing the terms on the contract right then and there: $1/gallon, or $275 per visit, or $550 for the two stops. This is $400 more, or an increase of better than 350% from what we had agreed initially. We had no recourse. Our Villagemates paid for, and rightfully expected, to be able to use the showers daily. One of the privileges of being a Barbiebarian. So we paid it. Keep in mind we did not have the $400 extra dollars budgeted into our plans and guess who paid it? Well, the camp as it turns out, but initially I did. Cash, no credit. So the moral of the story is that United Services is a dishonest outfit who will screw you five ways to Sunday given the chance. You might say, "Well Doc, you're an idiot, a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." No, we need competition on the playa just like in real life for services rendered. The 10 Principles do not apply to United Services and we need an alternative.

Stepping down now from soapbox.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 am

Doc, could it be a scam by the driver?

Did you tell united services about it, and what did they say?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

Oh we told them all right. They said something like "$150 was just an estimate" and that the $1/gallon reflected their true cost of doing business. The driver was "...just following (orders) instructructions..." and that everybody on the playa was paying $1/gallon and $60 per RV to pump (I do not disagree with the latter) out their mess. Frank has been complaining, but the BMOrg or whoever oversees this pretty much said since our contract was verbal it was legally nonbinding. Complete horseshit I tell you. And who in the end suffers? Our Villagemates, that's who. This year we're going to have to cut back the hours people are going to be able to shower from 14 hours a day (8 a.m. until 10 p.m.) to two three hour shifts: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. unless people 1) provide their own water in one of those solar bags; and 2) pay $3 per shower (each bag holds around 3 gallons) durning non-operating hours. Seems senseless, doesn't it? Figjam, we've known each other for what, five or six years? I think you understand me well enough and know how anal I am that I would not overlook somthing as vital, and economically sensitive, as this. United Services are assholes.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 am

Didn't doubt you for a minute!

Just seemed like a drivers perfect opportunity take advantage of burners on the spot.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mulch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:43 am

I keep hearing this premise that you shouldn't shit in the RV toilet. Maybe my RV is special, but with a full dose of the blue formaldehyde chemical In the tank, there is never any smell in the RV. None. And being able to take a clean private shit in the morning after coffee and then clean up for the day in the same place is perhaps the best part of having an RV imo. I would reserve the toilet for shitting mostly, and as suggested above pissing only when you are desperate in the night or drunk or something, pissing is what uses up more of the tank volume and for guys, pissing in the porta-potty is no big deal. Now as the OP suggested, that may not work with 6 people sharing one RV, but that's a different issue than just the blanket rule about RVs and taking a shit. Maybe my shit doesn't stink, I don't know. :)
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Pee jugs for the win!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 pm

It's true, some people don't know their shit stinks.

(God, I love that idiom. Had to use it. Perfect opportunity and all.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby name redacted » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:43 pm

mulch wrote:I keep hearing this premise that you shouldn't shit in the RV toilet. Maybe my RV is special, but with a full dose of the blue formaldehyde chemical In the tank, there is never any smell in the RV. None. And being able to take a clean private shit in the morning after coffee and then clean up for the day in the same place is perhaps the best part of having an RV imo. I would reserve the toilet for shitting mostly, and as suggested above pissing only when you are desperate in the night or drunk or something, pissing is what uses up more of the tank volume and for guys, pissing in the porta-potty is no big deal. Now as the OP suggested, that may not work with 6 people sharing one RV, but that's a different issue than just the blanket rule about RVs and taking a shit. Maybe my shit doesn't stink, I don't know. :)

Yup, that about sums it up..

We always get a pump out on Wednesday, as we arrive on Friday before the event. To be able to use the toilet during the burn is worth the $60 for a pump out...
A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool does from his friends.
-Niki Lauda
name redacted

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BBadger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Oh we told them all right. They said something like "$150 was just an estimate" and that the $1/gallon reflected their true cost of doing business. The driver was "...just following (orders) instructructions..." and that everybody on the playa was paying $1/gallon and $60 per RV to pump (I do not disagree with the latter) out their mess. Frank has been complaining, but the BMOrg or whoever oversees this pretty much said since our contract was verbal it was legally nonbinding. Complete horseshit I tell you. And who in the end suffers? Our Villagemates, that's who. This year we're going to have to cut back the hours people are going to be able to shower from 14 hours a day (8 a.m. until 10 p.m.) to two three hour shifts: 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. unless people 1) provide their own water in one of those solar bags; and 2) pay $3 per shower (each bag holds around 3 gallons) durning non-operating hours. Seems senseless, doesn't it? Figjam, we've known each other for what, five or six years? I think you understand me well enough and know how anal I am that I would not overlook somthing as vital, and economically sensitive, as this. United Services are assholes.

And there it is folks. Lesson of the story: get it in writing. I wouldn't even use the term "contract" in the context of "verbal agreement." Especially get the "contract" in writing in a case like this, where the contractor knows he/she is holding all the cards.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping