First time; rollin solo.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

First time; rollin solo.

Postby wonder bear » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:12 pm

So i'm planning to head out to the Playa for my first time all by myself. I'd like to ask people who have been before: is this completely nuts??

Things to keep in mind before responding:
*Im extremely outgoing/independent and will have no trouble making new friends
*Im completely self sufficient. I will be bringing enough water, food, and fun to take care of myself. I will have plenty of shelter.
*Im a 23 year old guy who just graduated looking for an adventure.
*Please make all criticism constructive (don't just hate to hate)

I have read everything on the BM website/ePlaya/rest of the internet to prepare.
Now i'm just looking for some insight that cant be found through reading.

Hope to see you all there!

Thanks
wonder bear

Re: First time; rollin solo.

Postby phil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:19 pm

It's not a problem at all, many people do it. Search here for all the people posting about doing it.
phil

Postby bobushka king » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:54 pm

went "solo" last year, best experience of my life! It allows you COMPLETE freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want without worrying about someone else. Would do it again but I'm bringing the ladyfriend out this year.

~by solo I mean I drove out there, picked up a stranger who needed a ride (and bought my other ticket) and camp with a group where I only knew once person there (who I had met for about an hour before BM).

Um no real tips needed other than just bring what you need. You'll make more friends in the first few days then you'll know what to do with.
bobushka king

Postby Minxy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Going solo is awesome!

You've done the reading, sounds like you have stuff under control. You'll have a BLAST. I LOVE going solo.

See you in the dust!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Wonder Bear, you sound like just the sort of person who should have a solo year, just to do it, enjoy it, and be beholden only to yourself. :D I highly recommend it.

Note: Rare is it that ePlayans "hate just to hate", though I know things can look strange when you're new-ish. If you ever wonder why some people get the reactions they do and others get warm welcomes, feel free to ask me. I love discussing that sort of thing, not as gossip but as a . . . social phenomenon. We also discuss it sometimes as a group!
Last edited by Savannah on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Why would you have even thought anyone here would be hating you just to hate?
You've done all your homework, read all the required reading, and seem to be more than prepared.
We only get down on those that post questions without doing any of the basic preparation.
I think you'll have a great time. Make sure you drop by the eplaya meet n greet to say hello.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:27 pm

jkisha wrote:Why would you have even thought anyone here would be hating you just to hate?
You've done all your homework, read all the required reading, and seem to be more than prepared.
We only get down on those that post questions without doing any of the basic preparation.
I think you'll have a great time. Make sure you drop by the eplaya meet n greet to say hello.

JK is right. The snark comes hard and fast when people don't do the work and want others to do it for them. You seem to have it together. Just go and enjoy!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Darn it you guys. Now you've encouraged him to go for it alone and be self-sufficient. Next time we get a newb, please, just break his spirit, convince him that he'll never be able to do it alone, and then give him to me to be my lackey for a week.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Darn it you guys. Now you've encouraged him to go for it alone and be self-sufficient. Next time we get a newb, please, just break his spirit, convince him that he'll never be able to do it alone, and then give him to me to be my lackey for a week.

There is no shortage of lackeys for you oh Queen. Many will do your bidding. But if we have overstepped your Royal wishes we most humbly apologize and will immediately turn ourselves over for a much deserved flogging.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Rice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Dr Helix wrote:There is no shortage of lackeys for you oh Queen. Many will do your bidding. But if we have overstepped your Royal wishes we most humbly apologize and will immediately turn ourselves over for a much deserved flogging.

Ooooh!! Flogging... Sounds like fun
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

From "should I camp alone?" to "flogging sounds like fun!" in 10 posts.

We're slipping!
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby wonder bear » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:55 pm

Savannah wrote:From "should I camp alone?" to "flogging sounds like fun!" in 10 posts.

We're slipping!

HAHAHA

Thank you all for your post! I feel much more comfortable with the idea of going alone. I am truly looking forward to every aspect from the long drive to the dusty everything.

Now if I could just find a ticket for a reasonable price ;)

See ya'll out there; thanks agaian!
wonder bear

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

LOL You'll fit right in. Here and on the playa! (assuming that was a joke)
wonder bear wrote:
Savannah wrote:From "should I camp alone?" to "flogging sounds like fun!" in 10 posts.

We're slipping!

HAHAHA

Thank you all for your post! I feel much more comfortable with the idea of going alone. I am truly looking forward to every aspect from the long drive to the dusty everything.

Now if I could just find a ticket for a reasonable price ;)

See ya'll out there; thanks agaian!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby socks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Going solo well be a great time for you.The people you will meet here are like no other in any other place in the world.But not for one minute should you think of this as a vacation.At times it will be hard living but the rewards are many. Welcome Home

socks
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks