$99 Plastic Car Ports?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

$99 Plastic Car Ports?

Postby alt12 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:19 pm

I had bad experience in a dust storm in 2005 with a carport and have never brought them back since. However, I am *considering* this year to spring for one as a shade structure for my brand new Kodiak canvas tent, which I am psyched about. 2 weeks up there this year and I want to be comfortable! Even made one of Figjam's swamp coolers. But I realize shade is always the issue....

So my question is this. I know people bring these out and I also know they're pieces of shit. Is there any chance that a $99 car port is going to survive the week with bad-ass tie downs at every joint to rebar? Seems like lots of people bring these and can't imagine they all get wrecked....

thanks for any thoughts,
alex
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Re: $99 Plastic Car Ports?

Postby squish » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Which $99 carport are you thinking of?

(I've been using a 10x10 First-Up and a 10x10 Ez-Up* for years. I stake and guy them really well, though.)
*The EZ-Up died after 12 years of Playa use. My error- I broke it by slamming it upside-down on the Playa while breaking it down :-)
squish

Burning Since: 1999

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 pm

it's only $99, lash down all four corner at 90 degrees twice and go for it.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:49 pm

On stuff like the Costco EZ-Ups (or equivalent), I'm told that if you replace the cotter pins and come up with more secure stakes they're workable. However a plastic carport may not fare so well. Depending on the grade and thickness of the plastic, it could soften in places during the heat of day, or the plastic could become brittle (personally I've only seen that happen after a couple trips to the playa).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby pchops » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

from those with carport experience, how does this option look to you? http://www.tarpsplus.com/canopy10x20-1w92-8.html seems to be a jump up from the 100 dollar options, though don't know enough about what 18 gage, other than it's is 0.0478 inches thick, means for the playa wind. the rolls royce or whatever fancy car is under there, increases it' legit-ness ;)

or are there any other online stores with carports you'd recommend? I've seen costco mentioned on dozens of forum comments and people recommend not buying some models, but haven't come across any strong non-costco recommendations for something i can pick up online.

thanks for any insight you can share.
pchops

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:17 pm

At 130 lbs I would say it is thick enough to do the job.

Denote that it only comes with a top, no walls.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Pecho » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:28 am

The costco carports work great with rebar stakes and trucker straps or rope over the top of the whole structure also staked down. I also bought some cheap thin all weather carpet from home depot to cover the ground area. Works really well.
Pecho

Return to Shelter & Camping