Friend and Foe

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Friend and Foe

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:29 am

OK, so I know what marking someone as a "Foe" does, it blocks all of their posts. I'm guessing it also blocks PM and other forms of contact too? (On the old board, you had separate functions for each of those.)

But what does "Friend" do?

FYI, since changing over to the new board, nobody is plonked; except for the spammer accounts. I'm hoping they will automatically be deleted to unclutter my profile once the accounts are deleted by admin?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Friend and Foe

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 am

I don't know what friend does, I never looked into it (FB diluted what the word used to mean) but I'm pretty sure I got spam PM from a spammer in my foe list. FWIW
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 am

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am

Interesting. I guess this came from the FAQ? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
AntiM wrote:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:05 am

That's not in the FAQ I see.
But this is regarding friends: Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted.

I wonder if this feature works. I think I'm going to friend someone just to see. Do people get notified when you friend them?
JK
jkisha

Postby graidawg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am

jkisha wrote:That's not in the FAQ I see.
But this is regarding friends: Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted.

I wonder if this feature works. I think I'm going to friend someone just to see. Do people get notified when you friend them?

oo oo me me me friend me!
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Yes, I've gotten notification of being friended.

No offense for not reciprocating. If my daughter didnt make me set up a FB account I wouldnt have one, I don't friend there either. I believe friendship is a bit more than a scan of one's email history....what can I say? I'm a dinosaur.

I still might do a curtained off booth in my camp with a big sign saying "Get on Facebook here" once one steps in there's nothing but an OED sized tome with one of these affixed sunk into the playa. Sophomoric but it would fit in nicely with my Twatter project.

JK - As an aside, every post I've entered in this thread has a delete option. Forum specific?
Sic Pup

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

And a very interesting aside that is too! I thought when the new board came online that I also had a delete option. However, it has somehow disappeared and I do not have this option for any threads I post. :evil: :? :cry:

OMG I lied!!! I have that option on on this thread too!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
The permissions are really messed up on this board. Badger posted a link to a post in one of his posts and when I clicked on it I was taken to the edit post screen and could make any edits I wanted!! :shock: (That's a lot of the word "post(s)" in that sentence, but I couldn't figure out how to say it with less. :? )
Sic Pup wrote:
JK - As an aside, every post I've entered in this thread has a delete option. Forum specific?
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

OK I just friended you. did you get a notification?
graidawg wrote:

oo oo me me me friend me!
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Bazaar. I have the delete option, but not on every post I made in the thread. Only the last post. :?
JK
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:02 pm

jkisha wrote:And a very interesting aside that is too! I thought when the new board came online that I also had a delete option. However, it has somehow disappeared and I do not have this option for any threads I post. :evil: :? :cry:

The permissions are really messed up on this board. Badger posted a link to a post in one of his posts and when I clicked on it I was taken to the edit post screen and could make any edits I wanted!! :shock: (That's a lot of the word "post(s)" in that sentence, but I couldn't figure out how to say it with less. :? )
Sic Pup wrote:

Right you are, it's only on the last post in the thread for me.

I think you're mistaken on the Badger link though, I could swear that it wasn't an edit but rather a reply with quotes...still quite odd.
Sic Pup

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
jkisha wrote:And a very interesting aside that is too! I thought when the new board came online that I also had a delete option. However, it has somehow disappeared and I do not have this option for any threads I post. :evil: :? :cry:

Sic Pup wrote:

Right you are, it's only on the last post in the thread for me.

I think you're mistaken on the Badger link though, I could swear that it wasn't an edit but rather a reply with quotes...still quite odd.

Correct, it took you to the same page as if you had hit the quote button.

And it was BBadger's post, not one of mine. ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Can someone tell if you Foe them, for that matter?
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't know but it wouldn't seem logical to my mind.

Unless, of course, someone has foed me and then the answer would be no.
Sic Pup

Postby Sail Man » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 pm

LOL, the new and improved eplaya :roll:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Foe does not inform the plonked.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 pm

A-Haaaa! This was all part of my plan to see if capjbadger had plonked me yet.

Not really.
And thanks for the tip!
Savannah

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Savannah wrote:A-Haaaa! This was all part of my plan to see if capjbadger had plonked me yet.

Not really.
And thanks for the tip!

Give it time. :twisted:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 pm

capjbadger wrote:
Savannah wrote:A-Haaaa! This was all part of my plan to see if capjbadger had plonked me yet.

Not really.
And thanks for the tip!

-Badger

I almost did type " . . . yet", but I didn't want to be too self-effacing. :D
Savannah

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

You know, now that you mention it, it might be a reply with quotes. I was just taken back by the fact that the link to me to an open reply box. Never had that happen to me before on here. :?
Sic Pup wrote:
JK
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:22 pm

jkisha wrote:Bazaar. I have the delete option, but not on every post I made in the thread. Only the last post. :?

FWIW, same situation in the Intro forum, at least it did in the "Virgins from Tx, Y'all" thread.

You post a lot in there, see if it happens Forum-wide or if its thread selective if you care.

How bored am I?
Sic Pup

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:40 pm

I think we'll find a lot of inconsistencies permissions wise in the board. I might check later. If I do I'll let you know.
Sic Pup wrote:
jkisha wrote:Bazaar. I have the delete option, but not on every post I made in the thread. Only the last post. :?

FWIW, same situation in the Intro forum, at least it did in the "Virgins from Tx, Y'all" thread.

You post a lot in there, see if it happens Forum-wide or if its thread selective if you care.

How bored am I?
JK
jkisha

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

Not really.
And thanks for the tip!

-Badger

I almost did type " . . . yet", but I didn't want to be too self-effacing. :D

Confirmation! I'm pretty sure I just got plonked and didn't get any message about it. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 pm

LOL I don't think you get a message telling you somebody plonked you. But on the old board you used to get notified if somebody friended you.
JK
jkisha

Postby OregonRed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 am

Where's the joy in plonking someone if they don't know that they've been plonked?
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:34 pm

True that. Which is why my last post to someone I'm plonking is to notify them. That also assures you have the last word, as you can't read their next post even if they did reply. :P
OregonRed wrote:Where's the joy in plonking someone if they don't know that they've been plonked?
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 pm

jkisha wrote:True that. Which is why my last post to someone I'm plonking is to notify them. That also assures you have the last word, as you can't read their next post even if they did reply. :P
OregonRed wrote:Where's the joy in plonking someone if they don't know that they've been plonked?

Oh, god, I try not to. I view it as sort of a point of honor, based on when I used to flame off and then slam the door so loud... Not that anyone has to act like me, mind you. And so the joy is not having my nosed rubbed into gyre's or cba's shit if I forget to skip them in a thread.
And sometimes there's a little bit of passive-aggressive joy in collateral mentioning. Oddly, both these fellows are clueless enough that they occasionally try and engage me. Odd.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Policy Discussion