Arrival Wednesday Night-Getting to a specific camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Arrival Wednesday Night-Getting to a specific camp?

Postby kayaloveslife » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

Hey guys. I'm wondering if we show up mid-week, if we'll be able to drive to my friends' camp? I'm guessing maybe it depends on where the site it-which I don't know of yet-but it's pretty large from my understanding. Probably deep in there. Hopefully my perception of these streets is correct and we can drive right through! Sounds lovely :) Thank you!
K
kayaloveslife

Re: Arrival Wednesday Night-Getting to a specific camp?

Postby jojofroyo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am

Well it depends on what time of the night you are going to be arriving! The greeters may ask you to park your car and wait till morning to take it to your camp! there are after all tons of drunk-messed up people wandering around at all time of the night, some with out any glow or anything. they just want to make sure you dont hurt anyone!

but as for finding your camp, sometimes camps dont end up where they are planned to be so having someone in your camp who is already gonna be on the playa make a sign and post it on a agreed upon corner with the exact address where they are actually camping, that way it will be easy for you to find them.

My first year, my sister told me she would do that for me(she didnt) so I ended up driving around for a hour looking. eventually someone from camp who recognized the car I was in waved me down and led me to camp, not only was it in a completely different part of town but it was also right in the middle of a block so there was no way to see it from the street! Thank goodness that guy found me or else I would have had a lonely virgin year! haha
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby kayaloveslife » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Awesome, thank you!
kayaloveslife

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:00 pm

jojofroyo wrote:make a sign and post it on a agreed upon corner with the exact address where they are actually camping, that way it will be easy for you to find them.

That's a good idea *but* you should also register at Playa Info @ Center Camp. It's a bunch of computers that let you enter your name, and/or camp.
Once you're in there, people can search for you and/or your camp.

Bonus- it also helps if you forget where you're camped. :)
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:23 pm

weather man wrote:
jojofroyo wrote:make a sign and post it on a agreed upon corner with the exact address where they are actually camping, that way it will be easy for you to find them.

That's a good idea *but* you should also register at Playa Info @ Center Camp. It's a bunch of computers that let you enter your name, and/or camp.
Once you're in there, people can search for you and/or your camp.

Bonus- it also helps if you forget where you're camped. :)

Oddly never been in there. Do they have internet access? If they do, the people on playa could use http://burnermap.com/map.php and the one arriving later could check that before hitting the road. :)

-Badger
Last edited by capjbadger on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Sometimes getting out a text or phone call early in the week is possible; ask them to try. But don't count on it. Registering both parties at Playa Info (at Center Camp), and putting a sign on an agreed-upon intersection signpost is probably the best way to proceed in this specific circumstance. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Definitely register at eplaya as a backup. But by Wednesday, your camp should have been able to send you and email (via eplaya wifi) and a text with their exact location and visual landmarks. Texting will be on playa this year, but of course is not guaranteed to work at the moment you need it. And not sure if they are handling text picture messages. But I think they are reliable enough for anyone half persistent, and with you sending back you got the message. Eplaya has been known to go down too. You will find the camp, I'm sure.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby SnowBlind » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

kayaloveslife wrote:Hey guys. I'm wondering if we show up mid-week, if we'll be able to drive to my friends' camp? I'm guessing maybe it depends on where the site it-which I don't know of yet-but it's pretty large from my understanding. Probably deep in there. Hopefully my perception of these streets is correct and we can drive right through! Sounds lovely :) Thank you!
K

You can drive thru the streets, they will be open all week. So you can reach any part of the event area. Most camps have at least one frontage line on one of the streets. Sometimes a camp ends up in the middle of a city block, then it might be difficult to drive into their camp. But usually that's not a problem.

capjbadger wrote:Oddly never been in there. Do they have internet access? If they do, the people on playa could use http://burnermap.com/map.php and the one arriving later could check that before hitting the road. :)

-Badger

No, the playa info computers do not have internet access. They allow you to connect to a database where people can register, and other people can look them up.
SnowBlind

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Playa info is not on the interweb.

Eplaya is not connected.

It would be nice if the database was put on the net after the burn, for catching up and what not.

Playa info can be hard to access due to crowds.
gyre

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:50 pm

I was thinking Playa Info, but my fingers weren't typing it. Public Eplaya system access is primarily at Playa Info in Center Camp. Not sure about the plazas. Playa Info also has a good wifi signal to access to the Internet for email, using your own computer, asking someone there to use theirs or using a smartphone to send mail.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Savannah wrote:Sometimes getting out a text or phone call early in the week is possible; ask them to try. But don't count on it. Registering both parties at Playa Info (at Center Camp), and putting a sign on an agreed-upon intersection signpost is probably the best way to proceed in this specific circumstance. :D

If there is a signal, a text message will almost always go through at some point even when a phone call won't.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Return to Shelter & Camping