No more 2011 Costco Carports?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

No more 2011 Costco Carports?

Postby costap » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't have a Costco membership but I snuck my way in to my local Costco (Santa Clara, CA) in May to confirm that they had the 10x20 carports that I read so much about on ePlaya. They had it in stock for $200 just as I had read. Last weekend I convinced a friend of mine with a Costco membership to take me so that I could by the carport. Turns out they don't have them anymore. I read in a post from a previous year that they are seasonal so I guess they are out of season (you would think they would realize that Burning Man is their season). I asked and employee and he said they were unlikely to be at any location and couldn't even find them in the computer anymore.

I am trying to figure out if it is time to panic and buy some $350 carport off of Amazon or if there is a good chance that they will come back to Costco before Burning Man starts. Anyone have any ideas or seen one at their Costco in the last couple weeks? thanks.
costap

Re: No more 2011 Costco Carports?

Postby SnowBlind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 pm

I probably wouldn't take their word for it and check some of the other stores in the area. I think when I bought mine a couple of years ago they were gone in the Lawrence Station store for a while, and I found it in the SJ store (the one by the airport). I wouldn't expect them to come back to a store that is out though. Of course that's a big YMMV.

The Carports *are* seasonal for sure. I remember asking one of the employees about them in August one year, and he replied that they didn't have them anymore, as they were a 'summer item'. I looked at him asked him if it wasn't August right now? Without missing a beat he nodded and said: 'Yeah, we'll start stocking Christmas stuff in a month'. He wasn't kidding either.

Also, if you just want to check it out, you can probably just borrow your friends card without dragging him along (if that makes it easier). That will work to get in for sure, and might even work to buy it.
SnowBlind

Postby DustHand » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:02 am

SnowBlind wrote:
Also, if you just want to check it out, you can probably just borrow your friends card without dragging him along (if that makes it easier). That will work to get in for sure, and might even work to buy it.

Be careful with this one...pay cash if you do this. I loaned my Costco membership card to a coworker once and the confiscated the card. Name on the card didn't match the credit card. I told her to pay cash...moron. Got a new one eventually, but it was a pain.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Igneouss » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:14 am

A bit of creativity, a tarp, some rope and poles etc, and you will save $150 bucks and not have to shop at Costco at all.
Look up the Galaxy Hut for a fancy example of a playa proven DIY design.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 am

Shot in the dark for you (or others) to also check on.

The Home Depot I frequent has heavy frame, 10x20 carports that look a whole lot like the costco marked down to $150 for seasonal clearance in their garden center right next to the ez-up stle shelters.

I do not know if this a local store deal or a nationwide deal or even if any other Home Depots out there have any (my store has 3 at this price as of last night) of these structures.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby fiso28 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 pm

You need to get it from the Costco website, the Caravan is the one, preferred by all the vendors at the farmers markets I go to
Easy up make sure you tie it to rebar
My last one lasted more than three years, I did not take good care of it between uses, it got rusty, but it was very good on the playa.
If you are a diy type there are countless suggestions if you google desert shade structure
The cost is 215 dollars, so not cheap.
Good luck happy trails
fiso28

Postby costap » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 am

Went to another Costco, no luck. Tried 2 different Home Depots, no luck. Took a look at the carports on Costco.com but they are 10x10 and definitely not of the quality of the one i saw in the store a couple months ago.
costap

Postby headquarters » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 am

We're up here in Seattle and were looking for them also. We had no luck at Costco, sears, walmart, home depot, lowes any of them. We finally found one after trolling craigslist. There were actually quite a few up in our area and we got one for $75. Good Luck!
headquarters

Postby Sweet_Bee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Just bought mine Friday at the Clackamas Costco in Portland. They had 32 in stock, now 31. I'm guessing when those are sold there will be no more. I'm arriving with friends who just bought a 30' bus, we'll use it to create shelter for my tent and shade space on one side.
Sweet_Bee

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby ambird » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:43 pm

There was a stack of them at the El Cerrito location today, I'd guess at least 6 on the floor. Hope you get one!
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby crstophr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

I got one this weekend at the Novato costco off 101. They had a stack of them as well look in the center section of the store near the pop up shelters. Sounds like the bay area costco's have figured out the seasonal buying pattern for these things and are stocking appropriately.

--Chris
crstophr

Postby Packoderm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 pm

I bought one today in one of the Sacramento stores. They have about 8 left. It cost $215 after tax.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby mrebikr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:12 pm

No don't panic. Go to Pep Boys. they have them there. $ 250.00 or so. I seen a 12 X 25 at the Pleasant hill PB. I all most picked it up. But low on founds. I will have to make due with my 10 x 20. Call first. good luck.
mr.e
mrebikr

Postby mrebikr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:15 pm

I think I will read all the post before I reply next time. I see you should have it covered,,, so to speak,,,
mr.e
mrebikr

Postby Lem » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 pm

I just went to the CostCo in Mountain View...literally 10 minutes ago. They have them in stock. Just bought mine :-)
Lem

Postby costap » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm

10x20 in Mountain View? I was just there last week and they didn't have anything but a cheap 10x10. Oh well, based on CapSmashy's advice I went to 4 different Home Depot's this weekend until I found the Home Depot model which based on the weight of the box appears to be a good match for the Costco version. If you are checking out Home Depot my advice would be to check by the SKU number as I was never able to find a box for one and only after getting the SKU was I able to find one. The SKU is 941044. They can check all the nearby stores inventory from any store or over the phone.
costap

Postby censored » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Not too sure why my post was deleted, but here it is again...
Searching on Home Depot's website, I found this UST 10'x20' Tarp Canopy.

Does anyone know how this would handle the playa? I've got a 6-person Kodiak tent to fit under it, and the $120 price tag is quite nice. I figure I could anchor it down with some additional guylines. Thoughts?
censored

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Those poles look incredibly thin, censored.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SnowBlind » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, those poles are definitely a lot thinner than the Costco carport. Will it hold up? Hard to say. If you do use it, make sure you do use guy lines or ratchet straps liberally.
SnowBlind

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:49 pm

I've never trusted EZ-Ups from any manufacturer. I've seen too many blowing down the street, and am convinced that the only ones that can withstand what the playa have to offer are the ones that get modded. Replace the cotter pins, add or replace the standard stake-downs, and in some cases replace the tarps or reinforce the poles. Seems like a lot of work, and a lot of hassle, for something that still leaves you wondering "oh shit, is my camp okay?" if you're out somewhere when a dust storm kicks up.

I use/design a conduit frame structure, and highly recommend it to anyone. The way it works... I get my tarps and fittings from this guy, though there are a few places to get tarps, fittings, and ball bungees. Then get standard EMT conduit at Home Despot (or any building supply store) and cut your vertical poles to size. Then when you get out to the playa, it goes together like lego blocks. 10' (longer) poles to make the horizontal shape, and shorter ones for vertical height. Assemble the frame, then attach the roof tarp and finish by adding side tarps (if you worked them into your design. They have some kits which have all the fittings you need, or if (like me) you liked building your own junk out of your lego blocks just get the parts to make whatever shape/size/configuration you like.

With various camps and projects, I've built and designed a number of structures (that are all still surviving and going to the playa in one form or another), here are a couple things worth noting.

• 3/4 inch conduit designs can easily withstand up to 60-75mph dust storms and dust devils. Beyond that, some of the poles will start to bend and need reinforcement. Certainly didn't lose the structure or ruin anyone's burn, but with that design it seems like every year a few poles end up getting replaced.
  • 1 inch conduit designs (if anchored properly at the corners) can withstand 100mph storms. Easily handles anything the playa's thrown at it, with no poles getting bent or replaced year after year.
  • Try to get a 1 foot minimum clearance between the top of your tallest tent and the roof of the shade structure. When the sun's hitting that tarp, heat energy will radiate downward too, and if the tent's too close it'll get warmer than you like. I've done a few height's, but for me, the 'sweet spot' ended up at 6'8". Gives us headroom for the tents, clearance so reasonably tall folks can stand upright, and you need nothing more than a stepstool to set up. Well, I'm 6'1" and don't need anything, but anyone under 5'8" probably would.
  • For your roof, get an extra heavy duty silver on silver tarp. Silver reflects away the maximum amount of the sun's heat energy, making it the most efficient for the job. If your tarp isn't silver on both sides, then it's darker on one and the playa's daytime sun will make the tarp hotter.
  • If you do side tarps (we do), color is less crucial. We do white, so the space inside doesn't get too dark and feel like a cave.

With 2 people, any structure I've built has gone up in under an hour (unless caught up in a dust storm). One of these days I'll do a proper conduit frame structure thread, but in the meantime hopefully this info helps.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby censored » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:11 am

Awesome advice, but I'm not sure if it would work for me. I'm heading driving to Nevada in a car that would most definitely not fit 10 foot poles :( It sucks because those fittings look like they would be a blast to put together.

Worst case, I bring just the tent, no shade structure, and get woken up in an oven by 7 every day :|
censored

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 am

Or work out some sort of lean-to, using your vehicle. Barest minimum you need a tarp and a few really good stakes or candy cane rebar. Close the tarp into the top of the car doors, pull taught and stake down. DIY for the win!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:15 am

Find a ski rack or roof rack on cl and bring whatever poles you like.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby PLuMPs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

any other recent costco carport sightings in the bay area??? my campmate wants to purchase those same canopies from home depot and i am very much against them ...thanks
PLuMPs

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:56 pm

I just set up our new costco carport in my backyard, and I'm glad I did. Opening up a new carport on the playa is a potential MOOP situation. I've had practice now too which I'm hoping will make things easier at camp. I now know some of the little intricacies to make set up easier on the playa. I plan to get plastic tote boxes to make tearing down and putting it away easier. Before I put the tan tarp on top, I first put an 10x20 silver tarp and bungee balls that is now underneath the tan tarp. I had to double up on bungee balls on one length of the tarp because a 10x20 tarp is about a foot too narrow, so we'll have the heat radiating through about one foot strip of the roof. We got the kind with a lift up door in the center of one side length. I'm trying to figure the best way to frame in a hinged plywood door. Also, I feel the carport could benefit from a few gusset bars going across the diagonal rafter pipes. I'll look in the chain link fence department of Home Depot.
Packoderm

Postby robrob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I second the 1" emt conduit structure!

If you need to drive, what about chopping the 10' met into two 5' lengths and connecting them back together with a connector piece?

The Costco carport poles are a good 5' aren't they?

Anyhow I built a 20x30 one for this year. Easy.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby Freedyjay » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:24 am

Does Costco make a sturdy 10x10 model? 10x20 sounds huge! (My tent is small and I'm with a camp with a good shade structure for daytime.)
Freedyjay

Postby Pecho » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 am

Just yesterday bought our second costco 10x20 carport. They had about 6 left. But this is pocatello idaho so prob not much help to you. Maybe online order?
Pecho

Postby BBadger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:04 am

You can assemble just 2/3rds of the Costco tent. Sure, it's not 10ft long, more like 13ft, but that's still shorter than the whole thing. The canopy will be too big of course.

A tip for setting up your Costco tent: mark the different poles and the connectors they attach to with "A" and "B". "A" is for the roof struts (shorter poles), "B" is for the horizontal struts (longer). You don't need to mark the legs or their connections. The parts usually have stickers designating the type, but it often comes off, and those markings are not on the connectors. This will help people to assemble the tent without instructions if they've never assembled the tent before.

Also I've bought a new roof, that is silvered, but I'm not sure about the walls. Does anyone have advice for the walls of the costco tent, as in replacements, or are the ones it comes with just fine?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Packoderm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm

I thought I'd share a picture of how the silver tarp works out in it. It does make putting in some of the carport's bungee balls a hassle. It does succeed in keeping the thing from becoming such a blast furnace.

Packoderm

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping