After Market Ticket Sales and Ride Share

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

After Market Ticket Sales and Ride Share

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 am

Here's a thought.

BMORG has a special ride share site rideshare.burningman.com, why not set up a similar board for aftermarket ticket sales, aftermarket.burningman.com? Even before this historic sell out, people have always been buying and selling tickets because of unforeseen circumstances.

The rules could be tickets must be sold at face value, or maybe even 10% over face value (some people probably buy their tickets on credit cards and are paying interest all that time). I'm sure if this is thought through and implemented properly is would help to cut down on scalpers, help provide a safer place to buy and sell (tickets could be verified automatically at the time of listing), and most importantly, IT WOULD KEEP THAT TRAFFIC OFF OF EPLAYA! :)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: After Market Ticket Sales and Ride Share

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

We already have that. It's called the Tickets section of eplaya. ;)
Honestly the board outside of of the ticket area has been pretty much unchanged. If you don't want to see the maddness, then just go in there. It's not a big deal. :)

Besides, do you really trust the BORG to set something like that up correctly? ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jkisha » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey, it could actually be the http://tickets.burningman.com site. The page would change after tickets sold out. But, I really don't anticipate this happening again next year; which is why I think it would be better having a totally separate site.

Any organization as large as BMORG has no excuse for not being able to set something up like that correctly. They certainly have the resources. (And if you read my posts, you know I don't care how much money they take in and how much Larry Harvey might take out in salary.) But I do object to not spending on areas that would make the experience better for all concerned.

capjbadger wrote:We already have that. It's called the Tickets section of eplaya. ;)
Honestly the board outside of of the ticket area has been pretty much unchanged. If you don't want to see the maddness, then just go in there. It's not a big deal. :)

Besides, do you really trust the BORG to set something like that up correctly? ;)

-Badger
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 am

I agree, it would be ideal to have some kind of automated system to handle the listings and verifications or something in some way. Sorta like how TicketBastard's StubHub site works.

Of course, there's the question of whether the technology is available via open-source, or can be purchased or built for cheap enough to fit into one of the technology departments (I'm not sure how the internal infrastructure within the BMOrg is set up). Logistical issues would be account/data security (needs to be better than PHPBBS), marrying to a ticket verification database (so tickets could be confirmed without sneakerware workarounds), and of course the processing of the cc/paypal transactions, along with all the design issues and some things I can't think of. The ticket vendor may also have the capacity to make that go, or it could be outsourced elsewhere. Headachey, yes. Worth it, you betcha!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Policy Discussion