Playa Vino

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Playa Vino?

Box WIne (Red or White)
13%
Gallon Jugs o' gasoline
5%
$5.99 el cheapo
10%
$10-15 Napa or Aussie
21%
Only the best - $30+ 'spensive stuff
3%
Make it Bubbly
11%
It's all good
21%
Grapes?? Nyet!! Grain?? Da!!
15%

Total votes : 61

Playa Vino

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:30 pm

What kind of wine holds up best? Box? Bottle?? Bubbly??? White or red? Mead or Marsala?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Since seeing "Sideways" Ah only drinks Peeno!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby headquarters » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:52 pm

a couple of bottles of 2 buck chuck work fine for me.
headquarters

Postby bullD » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:48 pm

cab's and zin's for life.
bullD

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:46 pm

headquarters wrote:a couple of bottles of 2 buck chuck work fine for me.

Agree.

Unless you have a 62 degree cooler, it's hard to keep good wine at the perfect temperature, and repeated heating during the day and cooling at night is going to wreck your fantastic red- though maybe not in the short life it will have during the event. If you're going with a white its a little easier as you can keep it in a cooler. I tend to favor cheap wine at BM, if I drink it at all.

However, if you need that perfect bottle of red while you're there, follow some of the sugestions in the food threads for keeping it cool.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby hunter S » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:00 am

In our camp it's about the presentaion!! :) Boata Bag's and gallon jugs.
We do tradtional Basque Boata competion every afternoon, two people one bag, one shoots the wine into the teamates mouth while spreading as far apart as possible, three teams at a time. Come by will all play! Camp jello shot.
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!
hunter S

Postby Svensen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:00 am

Last year we brought a bunch of mead- it was great! probably would have been better if it was cool and didn't just sit in the tent all the time, but even hot it was really tasty. One piece of advice on mead though- Stay away from the polish kind. I tried it and decided I would rather drink something I found flowing over the floor of the porta potties
Leading the alpaca revolution for several hours now
Svensen

Postby InPursuitof808 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Trader Joe's here in California carries an excellent red French table wine thats three buck chuck called L'Authentique - personally way better then the two buck chuck Charles Shaw that seems to fly off the shelves in their stores. I would'nt bring a bottle of finer wine but two years ago I tried to bring a bottle of Moet & Chandon White Star that got thrashed by the long drive.
InPursuitof808

Postby safetythird » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:23 pm

I regret not having a bottle or two of good red on the playa last year. I will not make that mistake again. I think they'll keep fine if I let them stay in the RV until needed.

I plan to trek out to the deep playa with a nice sangiovese or syrah and have a nice relaxing time with Mrs S3. Beer is still my drink of choice but it just doesn't have that romantic appeal.

S3
safetythird

That which is De-Vine.

Postby XS » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:05 am

El vino is a wonderful compliment to the evening meal on the playa. It's a great social glue when shared, and often is a big surprise to campmates. I brought some mid-priced Cal red's (even Merlot, sorry) last year. Kept them in the cardboard box with dividers and they all arrived without incident. Just be super careful with glass bottles. Trying to clean up wet, broken glass on the playa is totally fucked! The first year I brought a "box" of my favorite mexican wine. (to borrow a line from Lady's Man.) Although a bit of a bite on the first glass, from there on it wasn't bad. Plenty to share, choke on, with others. Box crushes nicely for pack-out. And no glass shards in your feet!
Too much is never enough.
XS

Amendment to Da-Vine!

Postby XS » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:11 am

Oh!!!!

Almost forgot. One of my campmates broke out a bottle of champagne last year, just as the burn began. Fucking Dom yet! It was perfectly chilled, but we didn't have any glasses so we passed the bottle around like a canteen and everybody shared in the celebration like some pagan communion.

Bubbly for the Burn, baby!
Too much is never enough.
XS

Postby bullD » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 am

Nice XS!!!

there will be champagne flowing this year, oh yeah!
bullD

mmmm... bubbly...

Postby scarlet_minnow » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:51 pm

Ooh- champagne! What a playa treat that would be. Have to be icy cold, though. <ponders a cooler full of White Star>
I did a bunch of research on boxed wines before the Burn last year and the Black Box merlot was highly recommended. I know, merlot! Never did end up cracking it open, though, and it came home with me. Will probably make it to the playa this year, too.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess
scarlet_minnow

Postby MissNev » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm

I love ice cold champagne on the playa, but my preference is Mumms Extra Dry. I bring a big container of homemade Sangria. Quite yummy!
MissNev

Re: Playa Vino

Postby michbehr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am

BUBBLES and BASS will be serving cold champagne @ our bar 4am-11am WEDS-SUN @ 2:00 & Engagement

We'll be rockin' you out from 4am til 11am with bubbly bass-tastic house music as you watch the sunrise over the playa and dance the AM hours away... and drink some champagne from our free bar while you boogie.

We want to create a home of warmth and positive energy during the AM hours. Together with a team of artists, musicians, circus performers, dancers, planners, bartenders, builders, architects, thinkers, dreamers, and lovers, we are going to bring invigorating house music to the Burning Man community and a dance floor that gets everyone moving and shaking. We'll offer you hookahs and champagne to relax and a comfy chill space to enjoy the sounds while resting your feet after a night of partying. We want to provide an environment conducive to connecting: spiritually, conversationally, and energetically. Don't forget our activities -- Sunrise Circus playtime and workshops will be going on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.

http://www.bubblesandbass.com
michbehr

Postby jella » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 am

Got a winery trek planned this weekend to for some bubbly for our girls night/day out, but so far the Wilson Creeks Almond Champagne has been a big hit...chilled of course :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Re:

Postby SouthernExposure » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

robotland wrote:Since seeing "Sideways" Ah only drinks Peeno!

I will Pinot wine before it's time.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby Charlie Parker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:15 pm

People take the movie Sideways too seriously. My understanding is that the main character's prized bottle of wine is either a Merlot.

Pinot doesn't have a rich enough flavor for me. I prefer Syrah/Shiraz and Merlot.
"Be the change you wanna see in the world."

"Bears are crazy, Willie. They'll bite your head if you wear steak on it."
Charlie Parker

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ehcsztein » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 pm

For general drinking I am doing boxed reds and whites for Calimocho and various Sangria related experiments.

This year I am bringing a couple of mixed cases of quality whites/pinks/reds/fortified for a dinner I am planning and some other random activities throughout the week. Still debating bubbles... I could seriously use the sabering practice :D

I want to pick up a couple of half bottles of a tasty Syrah for the backpack... sunrise deep playa with a quality wine? yep!!! 750s are a bit more cumbersome than I like.

I do really enjoy having some good juice available just in case the moment strikes. Historically I have found keeping them wrapped in blankets/towels and in the shade will greatly reduce heat spikes. Of course I have never tried to manage a couple of cases so I am crossing my fingers.
ehcsztein

Postby essjay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I never touch the bubbly in defaultia, but, for some reason, Asti is so nice on the playa.
essjay

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Charlie Parker wrote:People take the movie Sideways too seriously. My understanding is that the main character's prized bottle of wine is either a Merlot.

Pinot doesn't have a rich enough flavor for me. I prefer Syrah/Shiraz and Merlot.

I'm a Shiraz/Syrah girl. A nice Beaujolais now and then hits the spot.

Off topic ramble: I lived in Shiraz in '74. Didn't like wine then; I was a gauche teenager. Drank Russian vodka because I only had to tell the man in the liquor store that is was for my father and he'd sell it to me. Mixed it with Tang. Ah, youth.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm more of a 'beerdrate by day, distilled spirits by night' kind of guy, but I developed a fondness for shiraz on the playa at my first burn (2004). Yellowtail, I think, they have (or used to have) 1.5l bottles of the stuff at Costco at a reasonable price. I also like to bring a few bottles of champagne - the decadence of a mimosa is just magnified to epic proportions out there.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby HandJamMasterC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 pm

I regret not having a bottle or two of good red on the playa last year. I will not make that mistake again. I think they'll keep fine if I let them stay in the RV until needed.

Come on over to One Eye'd Jacks at Camp DOA - we pour nothing but good wine - red, white, French rose' and decent champagne. It holds up just fine during the week at Burning Man. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I pulled a viognier out of my cellar and realized it had playa dust on it from last year - it was still fine !!

You'll be helping me get back some floor space in my cellar too !!! 8)
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby HandJamMasterC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

I also like to bring a few bottles of champagne - the decadence of a mimosa is just magnified to epic proportions out there.

Ah, come have a Kir Royal with us - even better !!

CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 am

Well, if you insist! :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

Well, if you insist!

BTW, we insist you use our stemware. Champagne should only be sipped from a champagne flute, dammit !! Kir Royale's too !!

No 2 Buck ( Up)Chuck here, but we do have -
Barbera
Mourvedere
Zinfandel
Petite Sirah
viognier
sauvignon blanc
roussanne
chardonnay
French white burgundy
French rose' - Provence
Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Mumm Napa champagne ( 4 kinds )
J champagne
Roederer estate champagne
Tattinger Carneros champagne
Prager port
Old Vine Zinfandel port ( El Dorado county )
Orange muscat

We pour the same wine we drink at home!!

CAMP D.O.A.

HandJamMasterC

Postby shroom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:31 am

I kept a few bottles in the cooler and they were all delicious.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby jella » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 am

HandJamMasterC wrote:

Come on over to One Eye'd Jacks at Camp DOA - we pour nothing but good wine - red, white, French rose' and decent champagne. It holds up just fine during the week at Burning Man. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I pulled a viognier out of my cellar and realized it had playa dust on it from last year - it was still fine !!

Scribbles One eye'd Jacks into playa notepad 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby The Bee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:05 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:

Wow! Always glad to help a friend in need :)
The Bee

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 pm

BTW, we insist you use our stemware. Champagne should only be sipped from a champagne flute, dammit !! Kir Royale's too !!

I did notice the stemware in the photo, and was charmed. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to Food & Drink