Safely traveling with propane?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Safely traveling with propane?

Postby NellieX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm

So I'm going to be purchasing one or two of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-1-Bur ... ove/871709, and since we'll have to get little tanks of propane for them, I wanted to ask how safe is it to transport propane in a car? We'd pick the tanks up in Reno or somewhere closer to the playa than our hometown. Any tips for transporting? Storage during the week? Anyone used similar stoves and loved/hated them?

Also, I have this horrible feeling of loss concerning the sold-out tickets, even though there's no way in hell I was gonna go this year! It's kind of surreal. Come next ticket sales, I'll be camped out on my laptop with my trigger finger primed and ready.
NellieX

Re: Safely traveling with propane?

Postby NellieX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 pm

In case of an explosion...

I'll be swinging over to Target and getting one of these: http://www.target.com/Hello-Kitty-Pink- ... ombrowse=1
NellieX

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Those small containers shouldn't pose much of a safety risk. I would not worry. It is good though to avoid situations where the containers would get really hot or be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. Storing in the shade is good.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby NellieX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Those small containers shouldn't pose much of a safety risk. I would not worry. It is good though to avoid situations where the containers would get really hot or be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. Storing in the shade is good.

Thank you.
NellieX

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

NellieX wrote:Any tips for transporting? Storage during the week? Anyone used similar stoves and loved/hated them?

They are very safe. I wouldn't leave them in the car in the heat, but you can transport them without any issues.
I've got one of the ones you describe, as well as another one that runs on white gas (basically gasonline). Here are the pros and cons.

White Gas Stove
+ The fuel is cheaper and you can store more of it in the same volume
- Takes a little bit more effort to get started

Propane Stove (the one you suggest):
- Fuel a bit more expensive
+ Starts up instantly without any fuss
- Pressure drops when it's too cold outside. I've heard people having issues with these during sky trips. Obviously not a problem on the playa in August

Overall, unless you use it all day, the price difference is probably not significant and they are much easier to start.
SnowBlind

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm

They are pretty safe!!!
Don't leave them in direct sun light and don't throw them in the fire.
I'd also imagine not to drop them off of really high things on to concrete. I've dropped them from the back of the suburban on grass, only like 6', and no issues.

To elaborate on SnowBlinds talk about white gas Vs. Propane
If you are using a white gas stove that takes unpressurized gas like this
Image for a stove that looks something like this

You do need to be a little more cautious with pressure changes. When you go from low altitude to high altitude, you will see the bottle swell a little bit. But it is made of flexible metal, so if figure its not a huge deal. Just burp the can.
The white gas stoves can be a bitch to light! And if you run out of gas while cooking they can be a bitch to refuel.
But I have never had an issue with my gas stove eventually lighting even at 12,000 ft. Where as some of the pressurized propane and butane stoves have some issue at high altitudes.
I have one of these old white gas stoves that is about 25 years old, and it still works, some times it is finicky. But I'm going to switch to the propane models.
Why?
Everything runs off those little green propane cans now. Lanterns, 1 burners, stoves, heaters, and even Bug Zapers! Buy a case of those cans and call it good!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby SnowBlind » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. My stove is mucher smaller than those, more like this. But otherwise same thing:

SnowBlind

Postby NellieX » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:21 am

That fuel kind of scares me. I think I'll go with the propane...the stoves are cheaper and we'd only need a few tanks of gas, so the cost doesn't matter that much to me.

Thanks for your advice.
NellieX

Return to Transportation