Stowaways!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Stowaways!

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am

The BMOrg gate/perimeter team's policy on stowaways is changing. In the past, there were lectures, warnings, and time spent in the penalty box at the gate.

This year, any vehicle found to have a stowaway on board will have tickets confiscated from ALL passengers, the vehicle will be denied entry, and everyone on board will be sent home.

Vehicle being denied entry means that even if you're traveling in a caravan, a friend/campmate from another car will not be able to take the vehicle to camp and unload everybody else's stuff. It just gets turned around and sent away.

It's a harsh policy, but a necessary one IMO. Actions have consequences. With no tickets at the gate, anyone turned away would either end up lingering and trying to sneak across under cover of darkness (sure it'd be fun for the perimeter guys), they'd be that negative stereotype dirty hippy vagrant hanging around Gerlach all week, or they'd be that person that potentially died of exposure/dehydration trying to walk home in the desert.

If you are making arrangements to have someone else haul some of your supplies/gear to the playa, make sure they're dependable enough not to try and bring a stowaway. And drivers, make sure that all your passengers either have tickets in hand or printouts of the stuff they'll need for Will Call upon arrival.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Stowaways!

Postby jella » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:11 am

it !

a cousin asked about stowing away ,half joking ( I hope) and I went all postal on them lol
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:30 pm

You just have to hide the stowaway real well!

The easiest way to sneak a person into burning man is chop them up real small, like ground beef!

Then at the end of the week they get a first hand view of the temple burn!

:twisted:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:48 pm

While I imagine the sold out status at the box office will still guarantee some interesting shenanigans, I really think this could reduce the stowaway problem . . . compared to what it would have been without this policy, anyway. Potential stowaways will still ask unfair favors, but hopefully this strengthens the resolve of the drivers (and persuades them to check tickets, ID, and confirmation numbers for all).

Before, some might have felt a stiff fine & detention was worth the risk. But I don't know many people who would risk 1) their entire Burn experience and 2) all the money they spent on it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby SnowBlind » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

That's assuming they hear about this. Somehow I have a feeling the people that will try to smuggle stowaways into the event are not the ones reading eplaya. Or JRS. Or anything that could inform them, for that matter.

You know, just like they didn't see the warnings about tickets selling out.
SnowBlind

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Lane closures in Canida are posted at 5 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile, and there are rubber skids right up to the end..

So much for warning people.. Warnings are read as meaning "for some one else"
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 pm

SnowBlind wrote:That's assuming they hear about this. Somehow I have a feeling the people that will try to smuggle stowaways into the event are not the ones reading eplaya. Or JRS. Or anything that could inform them, for that matter.

True, that. Though if it stops one newly-informed person from riding along with a bunch of jerks with a stowaway, and the honest person makes other travel plans in time, I'll be happy for them.
Savannah

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm sure folks will try, but from what I understand the DPW/perimeter/gate security people are up to the challenge and looking forward to this year's event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:54 pm

trilobyte wrote:The BMOrg gate/perimeter team's policy on stowaways is changing. In the past, there were lectures, warnings, and time spent in the penalty box at the gate.

This year, any vehicle found to have a stowaway on board will have tickets confiscated from ALL passengers, the vehicle will be denied entry, and everyone on board will be sent home.

Vehicle being denied entry means that even if you're traveling in a caravan, a friend/campmate from another car will not be able to take the vehicle to camp and unload everybody else's stuff. It just gets turned around and sent away.

It's a harsh policy, but a necessary one IMO. Actions have consequences. With no tickets at the gate, anyone turned away would either end up lingering and trying to sneak across under cover of darkness (sure it'd be fun for the perimeter guys), they'd be that negative stereotype dirty hippy vagrant hanging around Gerlach all week, or they'd be that person that potentially died of exposure/dehydration trying to walk home in the desert.

If you are making arrangements to have someone else haul some of your supplies/gear to the playa, make sure they're dependable enough not to try and bring a stowaway. And drivers, make sure that all your passengers either have tickets in hand or printouts of the stuff they'll need for Will Call upon arrival.

Minor point of clarification: This has actually been the policy for a long time. The ticket is a revokable license and may be revoked without refund for misconduct, failure to obey the rules of the community, etc. Sneaking in during the closure order is an actual crime, although Gate doesn't normally invoke LEO for such things. But they have in the past for particularly douchebag-y behavior. Remember...you aren't in Burning Man until you are PAST Gate.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm

In past years, they have only detained the rest of the participants in D-lot. According to that crew, that will no longer be happening.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Minor point of clarification: This has actually been the policy for a long time. The ticket is a revokable license and may be revoked without refund for misconduct, failure to obey the rules of the community, etc. Sneaking in during the closure order is an actual crime, although Gate doesn't normally invoke LEO for such things. But they have in the past for particularly douchebag-y behavior. Remember...you aren't in Burning Man until you are PAST Gate.

LoR

And even then the law still applies... ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

SnowBlind wrote:That's assuming they hear about this. Somehow I have a feeling the people that will try to smuggle stowaways into the event are not the ones reading eplaya. Or JRS. Or anything that could inform them, for that matter.

I raised this same issue. Gate may be able to save themselves a few headaches by posting a sign with this policy at the (12 mile?) turnoff to the event.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm sure folks will try, but from what I understand the DPW/perimeter/gate security people are up to the challenge and looking forward to this year's event.

those GPE folks are wicked..........smart, attractive and omnipotent........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm

...humble...
Savannah

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm

ygmir wrote:
trilobyte wrote:I'm sure folks will try, but from what I understand the DPW/perimeter/gate security people are up to the challenge and looking forward to this year's event.

those GPE folks are wicked..........smart, attractive and omnipotent........

You forgot "Humble". ;)

Oh Gate is going to be interesting this year. lol

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Savannah wrote:...humble...

Dammit... beat me to the punchline. :lol:

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

I am really looking forward to working it this year.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm

trilobyte wrote:In past years, they have only detained the rest of the participants in D-lot. According to that crew, that will no longer be happening.

Again, it all comes down to the circumstances, and the douchebaggery of the participants. The fundamental limits this year necessitate a change:

If you have a stowaway, there was exile to DLot for "reeducation". At the end of that, the stowaway would have to buy a ticket and a stupid tax would be paid. The size of that tax depended on the level of deceit, the general attitude, etc. If you welded a special hiding compartment into your artcar or RV for hiding a person? Stupid tax = $2k.

But, since tix are sold out this year, there's no way for said stowaway to buy a ticket. And since you can't abandon walkers at the gate, the entire car would be made to leave the event. The punishment would be revoking the tickets for the whole group, ensuring they don't just go to Gerlach and dump the person, making them that community's problem.

It actually is fairly logical.

Also, a sign wouldn't help. If you didn't read your ticket, and you didn't read any email, and you didn't get raised by your parents properly to not steal, then I don't think a sign on the side of the road is gonna make you suddenly have a newsflash and mend your ways.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Also, a sign wouldn't help. If you didn't read your ticket, and you didn't read any email, and you didn't get raised by your parents properly to not steal, then I don't think a sign on the side of the road is gonna make you suddenly have a newsflash and mend your ways.

+1
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Eric wrote:
Lord Of Ruin wrote:Also, a sign wouldn't help. If you didn't read your ticket, and you didn't read any email, and you didn't get raised by your parents properly to not steal, then I don't think a sign on the side of the road is gonna make you suddenly have a newsflash and mend your ways.

+1

Point there. And even if they did change their mind, you then have the same ticketless dingbat dumping issue. Nevermind. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby tamarakay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:04 pm

This does make me want to work gate. Or perimeter. But there is SO MUCH i want to do and i've been sitting on my hands cause everyone keeps telling me my virgin year I should just show up and enjoy, and check out and see what I would really enjoy for volunteering my sophomore year. Still true?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:21 pm

tamarakay wrote:This does make me want to work gate. Or perimeter. But there is SO MUCH i want to do and i've been sitting on my hands cause everyone keeps telling me my virgin year I should just show up and enjoy, and check out and see what I would really enjoy for volunteering my sophomore year. Still true?

You and me both!

I have this feeling I'll be flashing between deer-in-the-headlights and ferret-on-crack, though... :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Major Krash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 pm

curious how this situation will be any different for someone with a forgery that they paid good money for (and are not knowingly trying to pass)...they will still have to be turned away (presumably along with the vehicle they came in...or else the same issues with lingerers/people dying of thirst at Gate will still happen)...??
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

tamarakay wrote:This does make me want to work gate. Or perimeter. But there is SO MUCH i want to do and i've been sitting on my hands cause everyone keeps telling me my virgin year I should just show up and enjoy, and check out and see what I would really enjoy for volunteering my sophomore year. Still true?

Heed their advice! It'll be your first year, just worry about getting out there in one piece and staying hydrated and all the other good stuff. If you make it out in one piece, all is fine and good with the world, and you STILL feel like volunteering, you can either help any one of your neighbors or come down to Playa Info, they can direct you to the Volunteer Camp (though I think it has a more clever name). It's a sort of Burning Man job bank, people who need people, help out where you can.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:30 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:

You and me both!

I have this feeling I'll be flashing between deer-in-the-headlights and ferret-on-crack, though... :?

that's the attitude that makes you one of the favorite Burngins, right there, MDF!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:36 pm

I hope you wait 'til next year. You really need time to acclimate. And indeed, so much else you want to do. (It is a popular piece of advice for a reason.) You can always do Lamplighters on a walk-up basis once you're there (reporting several hours before sunset), or Postal Delivery on a whim if you're feeling like it's right at the time (orientations twice a day; google BRCIPO).

The idea of someone working too much during their first burn gives me the cold chills. I hope you accept only a commitment only to your own enjoyment, safety and exploration. :)
Savannah

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes, great idea Savannah, Lamplighters or BRC Post Office are great 'walk-up' volunteer shifts on the playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yes, great idea Savannah, Lamplighters or BRC Post Office are great 'walk-up' volunteer shifts on the playa.

+1000

Lamplighters are 5:45 and Rod's Road. Get there at 5pm and help us out. :)

-Badger

capjbadger

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Savannah wrote:
tamarakay wrote:You can always do Lamplighters on a walk-up basis once you're there (reporting several hours before sunset), or Postal Delivery on a whim if you're feeling like it's right at the time (orientations twice a day; google BRCIPO).

If you want super simple, BRC Weekly is always looking for delivery people- esp. people who want to hit the 9:00 side and the backstreets. Great way to meet people.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Are delivery people looking for specific addresses, or are they distributing on the fly? If the latter, even better. :)
Savannah

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks