Your Theme Camp need Early Set-up Help?

Your Theme Camp need Early Set-up Help?

Postby dustyroads » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Enthusiastic burner looking to help a theme camp with Early Set-up. If you can provide me with an Early Arrival pass, I want to help your camp get ready!!

I'm power tool skilled and can do: carpentry, electronics, lighting, dome setup, hexayurt setup, shade structures, solar panels, shower stalls, evap ponds... etc, etc etc! Even cook's assistant if you need it.

I have my own ticket, own transportation from Reno, and am 10 Principles self-sufficient. I have a group I can camp with, but if your Cool Theme Camp is also looking for a new recruit/camper, let's talk!

About myself:
* This will be my 3rd burn, have done early arrival before
* Easy going, easy to get along with
* Drama free!

Please PM me and let me know about your camp and what you need done.
See you on the Playa!!!!!
dustyroads

Re: Your Theme Camp need Early Set-up Help?

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Dustyroads, Welcome to ePlaya!
EA passes are a hard thing to come by late in the game.
Good luck, and go look around in the Theme Camp forum.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby dustyroads » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:01 pm

I think it is funny that you would say that, because a month ago folks were saying it was too early.

Theme camps were allocated EA passes only a little over a week ago. Camps grow, plans change, and many camps are only now trying to determine what resources they have and what they will need. If life has taught me one thing, it is that Opportunities exist Everywhere and All The Time!
dustyroads

Postby drswami » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Can't tell if my previous e-mail went out so .... I think I have extra early arrival passes for the 26th , with know for sure about the 21st . Set up help appreciated but not required . Marshal , drswami@earthlink.net
drswami

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 pm

dustyroads wrote:I think it is funny that you would say that, because a month ago folks were saying it was too early.

Theme camps were allocated EA passes only a little over a week ago. Camps grow, plans change, and many camps are only now trying to determine what resources they have and what they will need. If life has taught me one thing, it is that Opportunities exist Everywhere and All The Time!

If the reply you received doesn't prove that, I don't know what else could . . .

People didn't mean to give conflicting information about Early Entry passes. Here's how it seemed that both were true.

You usually need to be an early bird to get Early Entry, because these passes are issued to (placed) Theme Camps, artists with a registered art piece that requires set-up, and staff. Or, you need to be gifted Early Entry by someone who has a rare extra. It's unusual to receive Early Entry from a total stranger, because these passes are limited and people typically want reliable, time-tested workers to come and help them, which is the point of getting in early.

However, while the wheels are set in motion months in advance, the passes themselves are usually not issued until July or even August.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:47 pm

About Gifting Early Entry Passes ("EE's") and the 2011 burn. The rules have apparently changed.

Early Entry Passs are now literally TIED to the camp to which they were issued, down to location and who the placer is. IF the camp member can't answer these questions, it's likely the camp responsible will be flagged for denial of EE passes for future events. Additionally - if they check your pass (the rumor mill says they will be looking this year, and you have to keep your EE on you etc...) and you're over lounging on 3:00 and Anniv., and your EAT is for 7:30 and Botulism, you may find yourself headed toward 6:00 and Zippo. No word about the members of the camp that sold it's EE, but is it worth it?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:About Gifting Early Entry Passes ("EE's") and the 2011 burn. The rules have apparently changed.
Early Entry Passs are now literally TIED to the camp to which they were issued, down to location and who the placer is.

Ya. "This year all participants arriving early will be expected to have their torn ticket and their early arrival bar code pass with them at all times, in the event that Burning Man staff asks for them to confirm your authorized early presence on playa."

Ticket stub, bar code, wristband. I guess that means pockets are in order
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MissNev » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Dusty,

Check your PM.
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End
MissNev

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:About Gifting Early Entry Passes ("EE's") and the 2011 burn. The rules have apparently changed.

Early Entry Passs are now literally TIED to the camp to which they were issued, down to location and who the placer is. IF the camp member can't answer these questions, it's likely the camp responsible will be flagged for denial of EE passes for future events. Additionally - if they check your pass (the rumor mill says they will be looking this year, and you have to keep your EE on you etc...) and you're over lounging on 3:00 and Anniv., and your EAT is for 7:30 and Botulism, you may find yourself headed toward 6:00 and Zippo. No word about the members of the camp that sold it's EE, but is it worth it?

This seems more than fair, and I wondered about it. If a camp requests (for example) 10 EE passes and doesn't truly need them, it takes away from camps who could have used them, and seems like a burden on the infrastructure that is not repaid with a useful pair of hands.
Savannah

Postby marck » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

weather man wrote:Ticket stub, bar code, wristband. I guess that means pockets are in order

If you need pockets, then stop by The Raider's Camp in Terminal City, we can attach some for you.
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets
marck

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 pm

marck wrote:
weather man wrote:Ticket stub, bar code, wristband. I guess that means pockets are in order

If you need pockets, then stop by The Raider's Camp in Terminal City, we can attach some for you.

Can I bring my own denim?
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:54 pm

weather man wrote:
Early Entry Passs are now literally TIED to the camp to which they were issued, down to location and who the placer is.

Ya. "This year all participants arriving early will be expected to have their torn ticket and their early arrival bar code pass with them at all times, in the event that Burning Man staff asks for them to confirm your authorized early presence on playa."

Where did you get that quote? I don't see anything like that on my EA pass. Good to know though...

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TailsCut » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Badger, it was in the placement newsletter than went out today. Sounds like those who enter early must be prepared to show their papers at all times. Like Nazi Germany. And Arizona.
TailsCut

Postby marck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 am

weather man wrote:
marck wrote:

Can I bring my own denim?

Sure, but if you don't have denim, then we have sheet metal and pop-rivets.

Kомиссáр Logan
marck

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:55 am

TailsCut wrote:Badger, it was in the placement newsletter than went out today. Sounds like those who enter early must be prepared to show their papers at all times. Like Nazi Germany. And Arizona.

Well then I can only assume this newletter only goes out to the camp heads.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jojofroyo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 am

Badger- Ya, they only released that information through the placement list-serve, but who ever filled out the theme camp app can request to have other emails added to the list-serve. My sister used her own email address on the app, but then got our camps email added to the list as well.
But the way I understood it for this year is, you must have it on you all the time and they are non-transferable.
so if they catch someone not part of your camp with one of yours it could affect your placement in the future, as well as revoking your pass for this year. They made it sound like if they catch someone not doing what they are meant to be doing with one or not meant to have one, they could ask you to leave till the event starts.

They got serious about it this year!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby jella » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Maybe a few of these
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby LanceThruster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Some of the camps and set-ups seem so elaborate. What's the longest prep time you know of for set-up? It must be like erecting a rock concert stage. Also, some of them seem quite dangerous if not designed properly. Who's in charge of quality control?

Just curious.
"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:20 pm

capjbadger wrote:
TailsCut wrote:Badger, it was in the placement newsletter than went out today. Sounds like those who enter early must be prepared to show their papers at all times. Like Nazi Germany. And Arizona.

Well then I can only assume this newletter only goes out to the camp heads.

-Badger

Badger- it was in the JRS yesterday.

Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR EARLY ARRIVAL PASS

The Burning Man Placement team writes:

"This message is specifically intended for the recipients of Early Arrival Bar Code Passes:

We have seen an increase in requests for Early Arrival Bar Codes passes and we are seeing instances where they are being treated as collateral and being traded, sold or given away. In the past, projects have been, well, er, "burned" by folks from who traded a promise of setup labor in exchange for an early arrival pass, and then left the project high and dry, short of labor and out of passes. Don't go there.

This year the early arrival bar codes passes will reflect the name of your department, art project, or the name of your Theme Camp.

The early arrival bar code passes are not transferable.

This year all individuals arriving early will be expected to have their torn ticket and their early arrival bar code pass with them at all times until the event begins, to confirm your authorized early presence on playa.

If we discover misuse of the early arrival bar codes, the associated batch of early arrival bar codes can be voided for that project and early arrival will be denied, placement voided and this will be documented in our system for future reference. Trading, selling or giving away your projects early arrival bar code pass(es) is not acceptable. Please do not do it."

And yeah, ouch.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby skibear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm

marck wrote:

Pockets stapled to a birthday suit could be painful. Ouch

The answer is Duct Tape !!
:shock:
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby marck » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:56 pm

We don't need to use staples, We also have nails, rivets, and welders to choose from.

Kомиссáр Logan
marck

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:20 am

weather man wrote:

If I am building camp naked, then it will be in my butt. :o
However, I will only be a few waggly feet from my yurt....
If I leave camp, I will tattoo it to my glistening skin. :lol:
Of course, hammering naked is NOT recommended and you should not try this at Home.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Savannah » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Alternate outfit: Batman cowl and a utility belt. That's it.

(Maybe some shoes.)
Savannah

Return to 2011 Theme Camps