Art on the Playa... rant against dome tents.....

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:01 pm

littleflower wrote:HA HA HA i gues it doesn't always work!!!!


The things we do for fun.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Postby goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:04 pm

CornStar wrote:I sleep inside of a goat with I slaughter the first day of burning man. I got food and shelter for the first few days and by the time the man burns I can just wear the pelt and donate the bones to the bone tree


pit cooked or BBQ'ed?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
User avatar
goathead
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Where I live is not far from home.

Postby Patrick Hand » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:04 pm

I sleep inside of a goat with I slaughter the first day of burning man. I got food and shelter for the first few days and by the time the man burns I can just wear the pelt and donate the bones to the bone tree

Cool... better than a dome tent :D



see somehow this is how this thread is goinna run....... OH WELL.....


Hey... we/I still got about a year to figgure this out...... silly comments will fill that time.....


Cool..........
User avatar
Patrick Hand
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:23 am
Location: California Republic

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I like the idea.
And I've toyed with some ideas.
But I'm just thrilled to have a tent that survives out there.

I've thought about a diamond shape, illuminated.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

How about a giant inflatable hamster-ball. The wind would blow you all over the place, and you'd wake up in a new spot each morning, lol.
User avatar
mudpuppy000
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Patrick Hand » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 pm

One of the designs that I'm playing with is an off-center wedge-tent with the opening/door in the side, a doubled ridgepole ;one to hold the tent, the second for a curtain, so the sleeping area could be closed off, leaving a shaded area. I should just scan one of the sketches of it.... that would make more sense...

Wedge tents are stable, and if you run the ropes on the inside, you don't need outside guy lines.(for people to trip over)

But I'm also thinking of adding a liner to keep it cooler. I know tepees already do that, but I want it to look different than a tepee....

The basic idea is simple enough, to survive the windstorms, , but I want to keep messing with it so I can come up with something that works, and looks really cool....
User avatar
Patrick Hand
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:23 am
Location: California Republic

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 pm

Look up desert tents.
Usually two to three walls.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 am

/tries to picture a 2 walled tent
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby Patrick Hand » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:33 pm

tries to picture a 2 walled tent

A wedge tent has two walls... sides....whatever..... :D
User avatar
Patrick Hand
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:23 am
Location: California Republic

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:20 am

maybe it's a Mobius tent?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Patrick Hand » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 am

maybe it's a Mobius tent?


That would be cool.... wouldn't it have more room on the inside than on the outside?
User avatar
Patrick Hand
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:23 am
Location: California Republic

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 am

I don't think it's a volume thing......but, it would only have two sides.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:24 am

I'm pretty sure that both mobius tents and klein tents have only one wall.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby incunity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 pm

You guys should check out what my dad is trying to do with avte luum... http://avteluum.com/
incunity
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby Snow » Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm

you sleep laying down, NOW that is far too common, come on be a visionary.

I prefer to sleep ON my project on the playa during construction, fully exposed to the elements.
User avatar
Snow
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 am
Location: Lost in duststorm

Postby dubz » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Jesus, this thread is useless.

Proper grammar/proper sentence structure, please, OP.

Dome tents, dome structures, "wedge tents."

A tent that survives out there is one that is properly selected and properly staked and placed.

I need to get off these boards, I am losing hope in the caliber of folks that I attend this event with.
dubz
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby dubz » Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Fuck that, the people I actually attend with are amazing. I need to get off these boards because the internet breeds stupidity, and I need to not be around stupid conversations.
dubz
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby dubz » Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Wait, three walled tents?!?!? Please enlighten us.
dubz
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby whaleboy » Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 pm

klein tents have two walls but only if you have access to the 4th dimension. A hypercube tent is downright boring on the playa that we go to.
My God, it's full of Stars!
User avatar
whaleboy
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: bushwick, brooklyn

Postby robbidobbs » Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm

I use a dome tent because it's cheap, efficient and effective against the elements. I have a full time job on the playa and would love to have a yurt, but it's not a financial priority right now. This doesn't make me less of an "artist" it just means I'm cheap.
YMMV.
RobbiDobbs
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
User avatar
robbidobbs
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm
Location: Pottie Central
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby bx1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I cannot believe how long this thread has gone on...


Oh yeah this is eplaya... It's a freegin tent for cryin out loud!


(BTW: domes are the strongest structures speaking from an engineering standpoint)
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

Image
User avatar
bx1
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby bm_cricket » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm

gyre wrote:Cheap?
Not good ones.


My dome cost $200 total It's more expensive than a Coleman tent but it will easily handle high winds and damn near anything else I throw at it. And because of how I build it it's dust proof except for what I drag in on my own body. And it's a lot bigger (16' diameter) which gives me a lot more space to live. But I also spend a couple of weeks on the playa which makes a bigger, heavier, more complicated structure a lot more reasonable.

But for the next structure I build I'll probably spend a lot more time designing it, learning to sew with heavy-duty fabric and making a tensile structure.
)'(
User avatar
bm_cricket
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: My mind is on the road to BRC
Burning Since: 2008

Postby Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:38 am

GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
User avatar
Clar-i-ty
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Sometimes Here, Sometimes There
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re:

Postby Here and there » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 am

Patrick Hand wrote:
OH yeah... someone asked me what I camped in.... I was going kinda Steampunkish./Great White Explorer.... so I made my tent (yeah I sewed it) to go with that concept....

Image

or something like that....see I typed that I would mess- up again.......



Are you sure that design's a good idea? Not that I speak from any expertise on this subject, but I have concerns. Looking at the photo, I'm guessing that you were able to set this thing up without incident, one year, but the weather on the Playa changes a lot from year to year on the Playa, and some years bring very high winds. Looking at your set up, I see nothing to keep one of those high winds from spreading your possessions far and wide. I would think that some would be lost for good, some would be MOOP and have to be picked up, bad news in either case.

I remember seeing a video of what the wind did to somebody's pup tent, one year, and what is that behind your shade structure? The picture looks a little indistinct on the screen, but as near as I can tell, it looks a lot like the tent that went sailing off for Montana in that video. As for the shade structure, itself, while it appears to be held tightly, I would think that the wind would have an excellent opportunity to get in under the tarp, and start lifting it, as if it were a kite. Having grown up in a high wind environment (Illinois), I do recall this being raised as an issue in roof design - one wants to avoid long, sweeping overhangs, and your whole structure is an overhang, which seems almost like asking for trouble, just for the sake of asking for trouble. But this is not my field, so I could easily be completely wrong.

As for why the dome tents - decades of experience shared by many burners have shown them to be very stable. I can tell you that they hold in heat very well during the night, having been surprised to see that there even was a morning chill on some cold mornings. They are relatively easy to set up and take down, and they tend to provide one with more usable floor space than more traditional, triangular tents, because the walls are steeper at ground level.

So, I think it's about practicality.
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

My Homepage: Torchlight
Other Pages: My Foes List
User avatar
Here and there
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Nowhere I want to be

Re:

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:36 am

Patrick Hand wrote:So let's see... I'm a crazed artist, and putting alla my effort into making an art project....but art has no other meaning than my art project......

So obviously I disagree...

If your mind is working on something artistic... why would you want to live in something that is so "canned".... common... not artistic?

Yeah... dome tents work......they keep you kinda shaded... and kinda sorta out of the elements......

Dome tents work for the weekend campers .....

but does that excuse them?


they are still too damn common...

sure they work... they keep you covered.....but so does a pair of cheap Wal-Mart blue jeans.......


It would be sweet if we all had your unlimited financial and other resources. I'm using a dome tent because its a geometrically strong shape and comfortable inside. I only use my tent to sleep and store some stuff. I'm not "living" in it. I think its a safe assumption the other people lame and "unburner" enough to use a dome tent are probably doing it for similar reasons.

If you can finance and ship a larger and better living structure (like the "apartment building" made from scaffolding) then I'm all for it. I have loads if ideas.

Dome tents work in blizzards on the Himalayas, in downpours along the Appalachian Trail and with children in a back yard. I might be crazy and doing it all wrong, but without the manner in which a soulless dome tent can be backed small and the stability of the materials and design in violent weather, I would not be able to go to Burning Man. Besides, very little of my time there will be spent in my tent.

Shoes are very common, so are bicycles. I imagine you're so unique and individual that no one understands how awesome you are, but probably still gladly support repressive regimes and big, international, greed-based corporations with a steady consumption of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. And I imagine you have some tattoos, also very cutting edge and unique.

Thanks for clearing this up and showing me how uncool I was by not adhering to your fashion standards. And I was planning to dress and outfit myself to be comfortable camping in the high desert for a week, but maybe I should reconsider.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
User avatar
Super Evil Brian
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Ubiquitous, Black Rock City, Austin
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Re:

Postby NellieX » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Patrick Hand wrote:So let's see... I'm a crazed artist, and putting alla my effort into making an art project....but art has no other meaning than my art project......

So obviously I disagree...

If your mind is working on something artistic... why would you want to live in something that is so "canned".... common... not artistic?

Yeah... dome tents work......they keep you kinda shaded... and kinda sorta out of the elements......

Dome tents work for the weekend campers .....

but does that excuse them?



they are still too damn common...

sure they work... they keep you covered.....but so does a pair of cheap Wal-Mart blue jeans.......


It would be sweet if we all had your unlimited financial and other resources. I'm using a dome tent because its a geometrically strong shape and comfortable inside. I only use my tent to sleep and store some stuff. I'm not "living" in it. I think its a safe assumption the other people lame and "unburner" enough to use a dome tent are probably doing it for similar reasons.

If you can finance and ship a larger and better living structure (like the "apartment building" made from scaffolding) then I'm all for it. I have loads if ideas.

Dome tents work in blizzards on the Himalayas, in downpours along the Appalachian Trail and with children in a back yard. I might be crazy and doing it all wrong, but without the manner in which a soulless dome tent can be backed small and the stability of the materials and design in violent weather, I would not be able to go to Burning Man. Besides, very little of my time there will be spent in my tent.

Shoes are very common, so are bicycles. I imagine you're so unique and individual that no one understands how awesome you are, but probably still gladly support repressive regimes and big, international, greed-based corporations with a steady consumption of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. And I imagine you have some tattoos, also very cutting edge and unique.

Thanks for clearing this up and showing me how uncool I was by not adhering to your fashion standards. And I was planning to dress and outfit myself to be comfortable camping in the high desert for a week, but maybe I should reconsider.


:applause:
:applause:
:applause:
User avatar
NellieX
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:54 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Re:

Postby bm_cricket » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am

NellieX wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:
Patrick Hand wrote:So let's see... I'm a crazed artist, and putting alla my effort into making an art project....but art has no other meaning than my art project......

So obviously I disagree...

If your mind is working on something artistic... why would you want to live in something that is so "canned".... common... not artistic?

Yeah... dome tents work......they keep you kinda shaded... and kinda sorta out of the elements......

Dome tents work for the weekend campers .....

but does that excuse them?



they are still too damn common...

sure they work... they keep you covered.....but so does a pair of cheap Wal-Mart blue jeans.......


It would be sweet if we all had your unlimited financial and other resources. I'm using a dome tent because its a geometrically strong shape and comfortable inside. I only use my tent to sleep and store some stuff. I'm not "living" in it. I think its a safe assumption the other people lame and "unburner" enough to use a dome tent are probably doing it for similar reasons.

If you can finance and ship a larger and better living structure (like the "apartment building" made from scaffolding) then I'm all for it. I have loads if ideas.

Dome tents work in blizzards on the Himalayas, in downpours along the Appalachian Trail and with children in a back yard. I might be crazy and doing it all wrong, but without the manner in which a soulless dome tent can be backed small and the stability of the materials and design in violent weather, I would not be able to go to Burning Man. Besides, very little of my time there will be spent in my tent.

Shoes are very common, so are bicycles. I imagine you're so unique and individual that no one understands how awesome you are, but probably still gladly support repressive regimes and big, international, greed-based corporations with a steady consumption of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. And I imagine you have some tattoos, also very cutting edge and unique.

Thanks for clearing this up and showing me how uncool I was by not adhering to your fashion standards. And I was planning to dress and outfit myself to be comfortable camping in the high desert for a week, but maybe I should reconsider.


:applause:
:applause:
:applause:


Har Har! Personally I don't care what you bring as long as you find something to share. I remember two years in a row a guy on exodus shouting complements to passers by. He was there, both years, for many hours! He could have camped in anything, dressed like anything, and been in the top few percent of what I enjoy the most about Burning Man. I don't ask that much from people. I camp in a 16foot diameter dome because spending 2 weeks out there means I would rather do it in comfort. And it supports a sex swing! One year we had 6 people living in a single Costco barn. We had our kegerator on one end filled with 45 gallons of our homebrew. When we felt like opening shop we rolled up one door, hung a sign that said "Free Beer Today" and we served until we did something else. Anybody who wants to fight with us over how original or burnerific we were can suck-it.

Oh, and do you know why I don't bring dome tents? Crappy ones blow away, nice ones loose their expensive water-resistant coat. If you want to drag a $20 Coleman tent to the playa it has about an 90% chance of staying up all week if you prepare properly. If you want to drag your $400 MSR tent that "work in blizzards on the Himalayas" then go for it but next time you drag it to the Himalays you can freeze to death in it by yourself. I'll save my nice tent for the Himalayas and my Costco Barn for the playa.
)'(
User avatar
bm_cricket
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: My mind is on the road to BRC
Burning Since: 2008

Re:

Postby poplopo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm

dubz wrote:Fuck that, the people I actually attend with are amazing. I need to get off these boards because the internet breeds stupidity, and I need to not be around stupid conversations.


Are you kidding? The responses from people to this guy are bordering on genius. <3
we will all die so gloriously that ever having lived will seem like folly.
User avatar
poplopo
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Art on the Playa... rant against dome tents.....

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

You're two tents. Just relax.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16386
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Art on the Playa... rant against dome tents.....

Postby inProgress » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 pm

AntiM wrote:You're two tents. Just relax.


Thank you thank you thank you - just realized I've been awake for 10 hours and don't think I've laughed all day, damn that helped.
_______________________
Melting Minds into Machines (inProgress)
User avatar
inProgress
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests