By Motorcycle to BRC

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

By Motorcycle to BRC

Postby chikyuu2000 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:48 am

I am thinking of going by bike (Harley) to the playa. Any experience anybody can share? E.g.: Riding on the playa, how to protect the bike from dust, how to get the water there. Also, I will be riding from San Francisco. Anybody interested in a riding group, and / or possibly camping together?
chikyuu2000

Re: By Motorcycle to BRC

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:25 am

You would probably have to depend on buying ice for your water needs. Hauling 10 gallons on your bike would really suck!

Consider that you have to haul out whatever garbage you create, so keep packaging to a minimum. I could live on jerky, dried fruit and nuts for the week,,,,, Trish demands "real food" so that is not an option for me. It would be very practical for you though. You could also prepay to eat at certain 'cafeterias" which offer meals for citizens who make the arrangements off playa.

Be aware there is no lane splitting in Nevada and you have an aircooled engine,,,, correct? Miles of crawling traffic and gobs-of-bunches of talc-like dust. It will get your shiny ride dirty and challenge anything metalic to start corroding.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby jkisha » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 am

I think simonoftheplaya has ridden his bike all the way from New York to the playa at least once. I'm sure he'd have some tips if he sees the thread. Though he camped with a large theme camp, so he probably didn't have some of the logistics problems of having to bring everything in on his bike.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby capjbadger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:37 am

You could do it, but I sure as hell wouldn't put my bike through it. Plus riding at >5mph in traffic on a bumpy dirt road is not my idea of a good ride. ;)
(Plus my ass would be killing me... ;) )

Trishntek wrote:Be aware there is no lane splitting in Nevada and you have an aircooled engine,,,, correct? Miles of crawling traffic and gobs-of-bunches of talc-like dust. It will get your shiny ride dirty and challenge anything metalic to start corroding.

"Lane splitting" is illegal everywhere... "Lane Sharing" is legal in CA.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby The Bee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 am

Do you have experience riding at parade speeds? Get one of those springy hand strengthening things and start building up strength in your left hand, 'cause you'll be feathering the clutch a lot.

Make sure you have good fresh synthetic oil in the bike 'cause it will be running hot.

If you're only going for the weekend, you could probably bring your own water, but otherwise best thing would be to have a non-riding friend drive in with your supplies.

You could park on a tarp and use a bike cover to help keep the dust off, but the wind will cause the cover to flap around, and it might rub the paint. Might be better to just let the bike get dusty and blow it off with compressed air when you get home.

I'd guess you could lane-share on the entrance road. Not sure how the Nevada LEO would enforce that there, but caveat rider.
The Bee

Postby capjbadger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:09 pm

The Bee wrote:I'd guess you could lane-share on the entrance road. Not sure how the Nevada LEO would enforce that there, but caveat rider.

Local road laws still have to be obeyed. No lane sharing. Not that I'd want to on a rutted road with a bunch of people that are not used to riders lane sharing. People will open doors on you...

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Transportation